Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default outside stop cock doesn't stop water when turned.

Dave wrote:
wrote:
On 18 Jul, "newshound" wrote:

Not in my experience for water (although it would be for gas). My
guess is that the rubber washer has long since disappeared. A plumber
might be able to freeze it and then just replace the "removable" part.

Surely up to /and/ /including/ the external stop tap is the
responsibility of
the water authority.

As I wrote in another thread, our new water meter has been fitted after
the in house stop tap. So the water authority are responsible for the
feed from the street tap right up to our in house shut off tap. :-)

Interesting. I wonder if that's official procedure now. The old system
always left a difficult bit between the property boundary and the
internal stopcock