Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stop Cock Responsibility

A simple question with a simple answer I hope!

I went to turn off the water supply to my house over the weekend via
the main stop cock which i located on the pavement outside my house
(terrace). When I lifted the metal flap, I noticed that the stop cock
was leaking slightly - dripping not spurting.

Seeing as I like to do my best by the environment and that we always
have water shortages, I woudl like this to b fixed, not to mention if
it gets worse ove time my water pressure to my house will drop?

However, who would be responsible for paying for the repair, me or the
water company (Wessex Water)?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
A simple question with a simple answer I hope!

I went to turn off the water supply to my house over the weekend via
the main stop cock which i located on the pavement outside my house
(terrace). When I lifted the metal flap, I noticed that the stop cock
was leaking slightly - dripping not spurting.

Seeing as I like to do my best by the environment and that we always
have water shortages, I woudl like this to b fixed, not to mention if
it gets worse ove time my water pressure to my house will drop?

However, who would be responsible for paying for the repair, me or the
water company (Wessex Water)?

Thanks

Fill the stopcock housing with water and keep the surrounding area doused
with water,phonethe waterboard and tell them theres a leak at he stopcock
outside your house. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.wessexwater.co.uk/water/s...er.aspx?id=153

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 7, 8:56*am, "George" wrote:
http://www.wessexwater.co.uk/water/s...er.aspx?id=153

Thanks George,

Phew, I'm glad i won't be paying!

Cheers!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
A simple question with a simple answer I hope!

I went to turn off the water supply to my house over the weekend via
the main stop cock which i located on the pavement outside my house
(terrace). When I lifted the metal flap, I noticed that the stop cock
was leaking slightly - dripping not spurting.

Seeing as I like to do my best by the environment and that we always
have water shortages, I woudl like this to b fixed, not to mention if
it gets worse ove time my water pressure to my house will drop?

However, who would be responsible for paying for the repair, me or the
water company (Wessex Water)?

Around here it would be the water company, they will come along and dig it
up, replace it while the water is escaping, and make good, then a few
weeks/months later someone will come along and make good again. Really does
save the environment if you have a small drip. 8-0

The company comes around and inspects the taps periodically here anyway.

What should be a concern is can the pressure drop low enough to allow cr@p
to be drawn back in through the leak and contaminate the supply, if so get
it fixed ASAP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
On May 7, 8:56 am, "George" wrote:
http://www.wessexwater.co.uk/water/s...er.aspx?id=153

Thanks George,

Phew, I'm glad i won't be paying!

Cheers!

I think you'll find that the water board are responsible up to the
boundary of your property i.e. they don't want you digging up the
pavement :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
A simple question with a simple answer I hope!

I went to turn off the water supply to my house over the weekend via
the main stop cock which i located on the pavement outside my house
(terrace).

If you don't know already, it would be wise to check that you're not on
a shared supply - in which case turning off the stop cock could
seriously annoy one or more of your neighbours!

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Thomarse contains these words:

A simple question with a simple answer I hope!

I went to turn off the water supply to my house over the weekend via
the main stop cock which i located on the pavement outside my house
(terrace). When I lifted the metal flap, I noticed that the stop cock
was leaking slightly - dripping not spurting.

Seeing as I like to do my best by the environment and that we always
have water shortages, I woudl like this to b fixed, not to mention if
it gets worse ove time my water pressure to my house will drop?

However, who would be responsible for paying for the repair, me or the
water company (Wessex Water)?

20 or more years ago I complained to Yorkshire Water that the gland on
my stop cock was leaking and they fixed it. Some time later I complained
that the access flap was loose and they tarmaced that in.

I am now reworking the end of my drive and have dug up the tarmac and
surrounded the access flap with stone setts. I might just as well have
covered it over completely as the stop cock is now unmovable. :-)

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message

20 or more years ago I complained to Yorkshire Water that the gland on
my stop cock was leaking and they fixed it. Some time later I complained
that the access flap was loose and they tarmaced that in.

I bet the wife wasn't too pleased. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 May 2008 10:02:07 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Thomarse" wrote in message
[...]

we had our water mains replaced by a major company who've done the
whole area. They managed to leave one leak through tarmac and break
some pavement by driving over it with something they shouldn't have.
Took photos and sent a letter to their main office because they were
impossible to get hold of on the phone. They came back and did the
repair work after a few weeks.

Since they started the work the mains pressure has never been quite as
good.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Thomarse wrote:
On May 7, 8:56 am, "George" wrote:
http://www.wessexwater.co.uk/water/s...er.aspx?id=153

Thanks George,

Phew, I'm glad i won't be paying!

Cheers!

I think you'll find that the water board are responsible up to the
boundary of your property i.e. they don't want you digging up the pavement
:-)

This isn't necessarily the criteria. Sometimes the householder is
responsible for something under the pavement even though he isn't allowed to
dig it up. This is especially true of sewerage pipes.

Tim