Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default Stop Cock Responsibility

The message
from Thomarse contains these words:

A simple question with a simple answer I hope!

I went to turn off the water supply to my house over the weekend via
the main stop cock which i located on the pavement outside my house
(terrace). When I lifted the metal flap, I noticed that the stop cock
was leaking slightly - dripping not spurting.

Seeing as I like to do my best by the environment and that we always
have water shortages, I woudl like this to b fixed, not to mention if
it gets worse ove time my water pressure to my house will drop?

However, who would be responsible for paying for the repair, me or the
water company (Wessex Water)?

20 or more years ago I complained to Yorkshire Water that the gland on
my stop cock was leaking and they fixed it. Some time later I complained
that the access flap was loose and they tarmaced that in.

I am now reworking the end of my drive and have dug up the tarmac and
surrounded the access flap with stone setts. I might just as well have
covered it over completely as the stop cock is now unmovable. :-)

--
Roger Chapman