Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default outside stop cock doesn't stop water when turned.

wrote:
On 18 Jul,
"newshound" wrote:

Not in my experience for water (although it would be for gas). My guess is
that the rubber washer has long since disappeared. A plumber might be able
to freeze it and then just replace the "removable" part.

Surely up to /and/ /including/ the external stop tap is the responsibility of
the water authority.

As I wrote in another thread, our new water meter has been fitted after
the in house stop tap. So the water authority are responsible for the
feed from the street tap right up to our in house shut off tap. :-)

Yes, I know. If that pipe develops a leak, it would have to be a very
bad one for me to pay for it to be repaired.

Dave