Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Where's my water stop-cock?

On 29/11/2012 09:31, BruceB wrote:
In article ,
says...

I know of three instances in the last couple of years where Thames Water
have done just that. You are entitled to a working valve outside the
house, although this might cover more than one property. It's then up to
you to sort the internal stopcock out.

I am not convinced there is any 'entitlement' to a stop cock. I asked
Bristol Water to look for mine (thinking of having a water meter) and
the bloke spent half a day here with electronic detectors and signal
injector but could not work out where it was. Even called another
Bristol Water man in a van who got his divining rods out, but no
success. They said out here in the country the pipes were sometimes
just tapped straight off the main.

You may be right that it's not an absolute entitlement, but certainly in
heavily populated areas it seems to be the norm. I noticed a whole line
of new plastic valves outside a large Victorian house divided into
flats. More practical for the occupants and the water co I expect.