Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Where's my water stop-cock?

On 27/11/2012 17:57, charles wrote:
In article
, harry
wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:14 am, wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water
services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is.
The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How
on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've
anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Thanks.

There should be a stopcock on the boundary of the property/pavement
outside.. Everything downstream of that is yours. This has been so for
around a hundred years.

Mine was about 2ft into the road. When we had a meter fitted a new one was
fitted by the water company beside the meter. The meter is just inside our
bounbary.

(If you have a neighbour, it may be close to
theirs.) It's practice for there be an additional one in the house or
under the floor The outside one may have been covered with soil, paviours
or similar. What you need is a metal detector & then start digging on the
place where it crosses the boundary.

Plastic water pipes don't give a reading. they have plastic taps too.

Ask your water co where the external one is. They should know.

They only found ours *(completely paved over, under the public footpath)
when it sprung a leak and water started coming up through the pavement.

I was rather glad as it gave me the chance to replace our own faulty,
internal stop-tap.

SteveW