Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Where's my water stop-cock?

On 27/11/2012 10:14, wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is. The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Thanks.

Depending on the age of the house and whether it is on an estate you may
be able to deduce the incoming route. For late Victorian terraces with
front gardens, the supply normally runs along the road with tees off at
one side of the garden path, and an external stop tap hatch on the
property boundary, for example.