Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Aldi

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be
getting a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping
needs. --
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about
£120. If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be
invited back anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored,
looking miserable and "getting in the ****ing way".

That's how proper blokes help with the shopping.

Is that a compliment?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Buy whatever you like at Aldi - but don't put it in your mouth.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/produc...ange_17370.htm

The mind boggles.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Definiately ok. My food bill has doubled since Asda took
over Netto, and getting the bus to Aldi on the other side
of the city, just makes it the same cost.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....

She should use small independent shops, butchers, fishmongers, etc.

Bill

Pay to park, pay more for the goods, have less choice and wonder up
and down the High Street in the ****ing down rain?
Those days are gone and yes, I do feel sorry for the small shops.

Pay for parking? It's OK to park on double yellow lines and nip into the
shop if you put your hazard warning lights on.

Of course you have less choice in a local independent shop such as Bill
suggested.
When I call into the local butchers he never seems to sell nothing other
than meat related products of the highest quality. I have to go into the off
licence next door to the butchers for my beer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge :
On 2012-08-04, Tim+ wrote:

How many people are using reusable shopping bags but buying more bin bags?

If the Irish experience is generally applicable, all of them.

I don't, so all of them clearly aren't.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
[...]

After all of these long hard years on Usenet, somebody has finally said a
kind word to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Aug 4, 2:06 pm, "Mr Pounder" wrote:
I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent 71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about 120.

If she can save £50 every week, imagine how soon you'll be able to buy
something nice from Axminster with the money she's saved.

Tools or carpet? I have a garage full of tools. Wooden floors in my house.

If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

Good acting or your natural shopping-with-wife expression?

Owain

Natural behaviour. I hate supernarkets; the lights hurt my eyes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....

She should use small independent shops, butchers, fishmongers, etc.

Bill

Pay to park, pay more for the goods, have less choice and wonder up
and down the High Street in the ****ing down rain?
Those days are gone and yes, I do feel sorry for the small shops.

Pay for parking? It's OK to park on double yellow lines and nip into the
shop if you put your hazard warning lights on.

No it is not.

Of course you have less choice in a local independent shop such as Bill
suggested.
When I call into the local butchers he never seems to sell nothing other
than meat related products of the highest quality. I have to go into the
off licence next door to the butchers for my beer.

Well, I got 4 cans of 4.1 proof cans of lager for £2.79. I have not tasted
them yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
Firstly, Tim, could you sort your newsreader to do quotes in the
accepted way?

Nope.

You want it to work, complain to Microsoft. It was them that removed
the functionality

Since when is anyone forced to use MS products? Lots of alternatives that
do things correctly.

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Well, I got 4 cans of 4.1 proof cans of lager for £2.79. I have not
tasted them yet.

So 2.05% ABV?

Like having sex in a punt.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drain clearing

In article ,
DerbyBorn wrote:
When you have fixed it make a resolution to only use liquid soaps - and
not bar soap. It was quite a revalation to me - but I now find that the
shower screens and bath no longer need cleaning because they have a
dull scum on them. Bar soap scum and hair - clogs drains.

Just as well as most of it goes straight down the drain.

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
[...]

I was never any good at Al Gebra.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Well, I got 4 cans of 4.1 proof cans of lager for £2.79. I have not
tasted them yet.

So 2.05% ABV?

Like having sex in a punt.

A lot less fun than you thought it would be? ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting
a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about £120.
If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

I sit in the car and read the paper while she shops.

The food will be OK, don't worry.
You DO like wurst and garlic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
Firstly, Tim, could you sort your newsreader to do quotes in the
accepted way?

Nope.

You want it to work, complain to Microsoft. It was them that removed
the functionality

Since when is anyone forced to use MS products? Lots of alternatives that
do things correctly.

But searching for another one that I like is not "fixing it" is it.

Having, in the past already looked at the alternatives to OE and not liked
them, I have no intention of doing it again just because what I have is
broken in a way that doesn't bother me

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going
to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc.... Is
Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

It varies, some of it is perfectly acceptable, and some of it is rubbish
that you wont buy again.

How is that different from ASDA or Tesco?

At least I never feel I'm having the **** taken out of me in Lidls,
unlike Salisbury whose underhand attempts to fool you into buying stuff
with complicated discounts, Nectar points etc just get on my nerves.

The express Aldi/Lidl checkout where stuff ends up on the floor if you
don't quickly put it back in your trolley is an obvious way to keep
prices down. Contrast that with Waitrose where the checkout girls
actually wait until you've positioned each item precisely in your chosen
bag. A very leisurely process for staff and customers but hugely expensive

Wing Yip chinese supermarkets are not expensive - probably cheaper for
comparable good compared to Tesco, but they have what I call a prefect
checkout system.

You fill the belt from your trolley (or occasionally a 3rd person appears to
do that). Checkout girl wams it through at a speed comparable to Aldi. Other
bloke/girl packs it into bags - and sorts correctly eg cold items togther,
fragile items on top of heavy items.

You put the bags back in your trolley.

It sounds inefficient, but 3 observations:

1) It is possible they might be handling throughput as fast or slightly
faster than the same number of people on tills with customers packign
slowly.

2) Less hardware (tills etc) is needed.

3) The customer gets actual service - it really is a pleasure shopping there
when the hardest part is to put the bags in the back of the car.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting
a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about
£120.
If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

I sit in the car and read the paper while she shops.

Mrs Pounder would not tolerate such behaviour!

The food will be OK, don't worry.
You DO like wurst and garlic?

I have worked as a contractor in several abattoirs and have seen some very
unpleasant things.
I have also seen the boxes labelled as --- Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose,
Asda, M&S etc. The meat all comes from the same place.
Bread is just the same.
Potato crisps are as above.
Nu- Look clothes are made in Viet Nam
It is all a scam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote:
[snip]

Trust me! The one thing that you don't want to do is buy cheap olive oil
(unless it's for ear drops)

See previous post. I knew that there was something not right about the
supposed Italian extra-virgin olive oil sold in German supermarkets
because it was for sale at prices lower than the guaranteed wholesale price
for the product. David HandyLoon can't get his head around the fact that no
farmer will sell their produce for less than the wholesale price when all
they need to do is to call the local co-op and sell everything they
produced at a guaranteed price.

He also doesn't understand that it's a seller's market with less oil
produced than there is deman for. I'm not sure how naive he is. Would he
buy Aberdeen Angus steak at £1 per kg?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 04/08/12 14:11, Tim+ wrote:

But are useless for lining your under-sink rubbish bin. I hate waste
plastic as much as the next man but as we have to store rubbish for up to
two weeks in our wheely bin, I'm not putting it in there unbagged so
supermarket carrier bags aren't entirely wasted.

How many people are using reusable shopping bags but buying more bin bags?

Unfortunately supermarket bags have holes in them these days, which
means they leak when used as bin liners.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going
to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....

She should use small independent shops, butchers, fishmongers, etc.

Bill

Pay to park, pay more for the goods, have less choice and wonder up and
down the High Street in the ****ing down rain?
Those days are gone and yes, I do feel sorry for the small shops.

They worked when the housewife stayed at home all day.

My mum's routine - almost to a tee, when I was pre-school - and yes I can
remember:

1) Fix breakfast for everyone;

2) Clear up, feed the dog; Pay the milkman on that day of the week.

3) Have a fag and a tea;

4) (Optional order, might come later in the day) do some cleaning and yes,
that did include occasionally polishing the front steps with Cardinal Red(!)
once in a while.

5) Take me out with the dog. We'd walk to the other end of the village where
the rec was. I'd get a bit of play on the swings, she'd chinwag with Harry
the groundsman while the dog ran around.

6) We'd walk back popping in shops as we passed. She'd probably have taken a
basket on wheels. The route would include many of the following on a regular
basis:

"Ray's" for a few household things - chinwag with old Ray. I'd rummage in
the "penny box".

Butcher for some meat and sometimes a bone for the dog - chinwag;

Co-Op "supermarket" for a few general things, massive chinwag with her mate
on the tills. Collect Green Shield stamps.

Special treat - stop by "Toys and Games" for a chinwag with My Laurie and
maybe buy some caps or some cheap toy.

One of the other Co-Op shops for some clothing, sewing stuff or household.

Woolworths for the odd thing.

"Deightons" for chemist stuff - chinwag with Mr Deighton.

Drop by the Express Dairy shop for some cold puddings (like mousses,
yoghurts).

Into the "Corn Stores" for Winalot by the pound from a sack served by
Arkwright's younger cousins, both of whom wore brown shop coats. Another
chinwag.

Special treats would mean stopping by Lloyds Bank for another chinwag, or
the Ibis book store (that's still there and looks the same today as 1975!)
or maybe a visit to the library.

Back home in time for lunch..

Bit of play, (no TV, daytime TV was crap). Afternoon - some cleaning, maybe
some gardening. Or one of her friends or teh Avon Lady would drop by for an
hour and tea.

Spend an hour cooking supper in time for father to return from work at about
6pm. When he got in the house, he did nothing, unless there was a DIY job
on.

=========================

That's how it was then. These days, "she" would have a "proper job" and ****
all time for all the shennanigans above. So apart from a few old folk the
majority of the customer base for the "village high street shops" have all
but evaporated.

And before anyone things I grew up in "Hovis Land" all the above happened in
Surrey...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 19:14, Tim Watts wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

They certainly are huge places by the look of it. Wish I was more into
Chinese cuisine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....

She should use small independent shops, butchers, fishmongers, etc.

Bill

Pay to park, pay more for the goods, have less choice and wonder up
and down the High Street in the ****ing down rain?
Those days are gone and yes, I do feel sorry for the small shops.

Pay for parking? It's OK to park on double yellow lines and nip into the
shop if you put your hazard warning lights on.

Round here, double yellow lines just help you see the kerb... I have not
seen a policeman in the village since last year when some major football was
on - then 3 PSCOs appeared.

Of course you have less choice in a local independent shop such as Bill
suggested.
When I call into the local butchers he never seems to sell nothing other
than meat related products of the highest quality. I have to go into the
off licence next door to the butchers for my beer.

Thsi is true - village butchers round here tend to specialise to best of the
best in order to attract well off customers away from the supermarkets.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
Firstly, Tim, could you sort your newsreader to do quotes in the
accepted way?

Nope.

You want it to work, complain to Microsoft. It was them that removed
the functionality

Since when is anyone forced to use MS products? Lots of alternatives that
do things correctly.

But searching for another one that I like is not "fixing it" is it.

Having, in the past already looked at the alternatives to OE and not liked
them, I have no intention of doing it again just because what I have is
broken in a way that doesn't bother me

tim

Yes. I also use OE and an awful lot of people still do.
I could never get my empty head around Thunderbird. Yahoo etc is ****e.
Hotmail looks to be okay. It don't work with Firefox though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

They certainly are huge places by the look of it. Wish I was more into
Chinese cuisine

They can be very good just to get inexpensive meat, fresh fish (as in the
crabs are still walking), rice (any type) by the 10 or 25kg bag (huge saving
over supermarket 1kg bags). Have a look - they look like a wholesaler and a
bit intimidating from the outside, but they are actually pretty much just
another supermarket and yes, they take cash or cards - no need for an
account.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
Firstly, Tim, could you sort your newsreader to do quotes in the
accepted way?

Nope.

You want it to work, complain to Microsoft. It was them that removed
the functionality

Since when is anyone forced to use MS products? Lots of alternatives that
do things correctly.

But searching for another one that I like is not "fixing it" is it.

Having, in the past already looked at the alternatives to OE and not liked
them, I have no intention of doing it again just because what I have is
broken in a way that doesn't bother me

tim

Yes. I also use OE and an awful lot of people still do.
I could never get my empty head around Thunderbird. Yahoo etc is ****e.
Hotmail looks to be okay. It don't work with Firefox though.

They've just announced that they are going to re-vamp Hotmail and
re-brand it as Outlook. I kid you not - look he
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07...cessor_launch/

So this might not be the best time to migrate.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

And I can now vouch that the Aldi fresh quarter pounders at £2 for four are
excellent, having just had two for my tea, on Aldi's own white burger buns,
one with cheese, both with lettuce, onion,mayo and tomato.

Quite stumpy, thick burgers, little fat comes out, retain their shape well
and quite moist when cooked, they are lightly seasoned with herbs and are
over 90% beef, gonna get some more next week

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and
is going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....

She should use small independent shops, butchers, fishmongers,
etc.

Bill

Pay to park, pay more for the goods, have less choice and wonder
up and down the High Street in the ****ing down rain?
Those days are gone and yes, I do feel sorry for the small shops.

Pay for parking? It's OK to park on double yellow lines and nip
into the shop if you put your hazard warning lights on.

Round here, double yellow lines just help you see the kerb... I have
not seen a policeman in the village since last year when some major
football was on - then 3 PSCOs appeared.

So you have yet to still see a police officer:-)

PCSOs are NOT the police.

When the PCSO used to come and see me regarding complaints about me he had
to be accompanied by the police.

PCSOs are worthless. You are allowed to tell them to **** off and you have
the same powers of arrest as they do.

They are nothing other than dog **** ticketers and they are as thick as pig
****.
..
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge :
On 2012-08-04, Tim+ wrote:

How many people are using reusable shopping bags but buying more bin bags?

If the Irish experience is generally applicable, all of them.

I don't, so all of them clearly aren't.

Huge is never meant to be taken seriously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-04, Tim+ wrote:

How many people are using reusable shopping bags but buying
more bin bags?

If the Irish experience is generally applicable, all of them.

I don't, so all of them clearly aren't.

Huge is never meant to be taken seriously.

He has plonked you.

He will however see this.

You are a ****

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting
a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about £120.
If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

Try Lidl then - you'd fit right in.

Although Lidl also do good food, especially the fresh veggies, and they are
closer to us than Aldi :-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
In article ,
tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

Any operation with even half a clue has self checkouts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

Although Lidl also do good food, especially the fresh veggies, and they
are closer to us than Aldi :-)

The baked in store bread is quite nice in lidl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 21:20:08 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Any operation with even half a clue has self checkouts.

I purposely avoid shops which make me use self checkouts. I hate them with
a vengeance. So if having half a clue means losing customers...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any operation with even half a clue has self checkouts.

I purposely avoid shops which make me use self checkouts. I hate them
with
a vengeance. So if having half a clue means losing customers...

Did you not notice who you were talking to?

The antipodean with half a clue. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
Firstly, Tim, could you sort your newsreader to do quotes in the
accepted way?

Nope.

You want it to work, complain to Microsoft. It was them that removed
the functionality

Since when is anyone forced to use MS products? Lots of alternatives that
do things correctly.

But searching for another one that I like is not "fixing it" is it.

Having, in the past already looked at the alternatives to OE and not liked
them, I have no intention of doing it again just because what I have is
broken in a way that doesn't bother me

You can just use V14 which still quotes properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
stuart noble wrote:

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

[...]

And it is inefficient having 2 or 3 paid apes involved.

but 3 observations:

1) It is possible they might be handling throughput as fast or slightly
faster than the same number of people on tills with customers packign
slowly.

2) Less hardware (tills etc) is needed.

3) The customer gets actual service - it really is a pleasure shopping
there
when the hardest part is to put the bags in the back of the car.

I much prefer self checkouts now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Any operation with even half a clue has self checkouts.

I purposely avoid shops which make me use self checkouts.

None of them do, they are always optional, stupid.

ALDI FYI The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 November 7th 11 05:41 PM
Aldi George UK diy 25 October 14th 07 07:50 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 raden UK diy 2 May 20th 06 08:14 AM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 7 May 19th 06 09:14 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 Grumps UK diy 2 May 19th 06 07:49 PM