Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Aldi

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Better than the expensive ****e you get from Asda, and I've never had
anything from Tesco's that I've liked, except beer when it's on offer and
this is the only time I go there.
Aldi do good fresh meat and veg, and their tinned and bottled goods are
better and cheaper than any of the major supermarket's own brands, the only
drawback is it's absolutely packed out every weekend and you will queue at
peak times, also you might not get a parking space close by

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 17:33, Phil L wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Better than the expensive ****e you get from Asda, and I've never had
anything from Tesco's that I've liked, except beer when it's on offer and
this is the only time I go there.
Aldi do good fresh meat and veg, and their tinned and bottled goods are
better and cheaper than any of the major supermarket's own brands, the only
drawback is it's absolutely packed out every weekend and you will queue at
peak times, also you might not get a parking space close by

Only the poor people used to go to Aldi, but now there are Mercedes and
Beamers parked in ours, so as usual the rich catch onto where to save
money. Lidl can also have some good bargains, even on non generic food.
On the plus side, actually 2 pluses, Aldi check outs are like greased
lightening, also go with your wife, they both have very good DIY offers
from time to time. I get their emails, which come in twice a week so you
can decide if you would like to assist your wife with her shopping!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 17:25, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

It's good, the biscuits are quite good! I have noticed the stuff there
mostly have huge barcodes everywhere which I guess helps with the speedy
checkout too.

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Pretty good depending on what you buy. Some of the Lidls do absolutely
fantastic continental breakfast pastries cooked on the premises. Way
better than anything you can get in *any* UK supermarket.

[...]

They have also been known to have some pretty incredible computer
bargains of Medion kit that is amenable to Hackintosh treatment. You can
tell when there is a queue of hairy unwashed computer geeks hanging
about outside one at 7.45 in the morning (ISTR Thursdays).

Yes I have bought one. Works fine. (although as a Windows machine)
Latest models are not quite so good for this.

Some of their always ready NiMH batteries are well worth it too.
(also found at Lidl)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 18:08, gremlin_95 wrote:
On 03/08/2012 17:25, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

It's good, the biscuits are quite good! I have noticed the stuff there
mostly have huge barcodes everywhere which I guess helps with the
speedy checkout too.

It is a bit of a contest to pack your trolley as fast as they pass it
through the checkout, I have only managed it a couple of times, the
checkout people should be in the Olympics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

No problems but you need to watch the prices. They are big on "loss leaders"
& everything else is no cheaper or even more expensive. The loss leaders
are the ones you see on the TV.

The best thing Mrs Pounder can do is check prices on the internet if she is
on an economy drive.
& note them down, sometimes they are different when you get there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

No problems but you need to watch the prices. They are big on "loss
leaders" & everything else is no cheaper or even more expensive. The loss
leaders are the ones you see on the TV.

The best thing Mrs Pounder can do is check prices on the internet if she
is on an economy drive.
& note them down, sometimes they are different when you get there.

Thank you and thanks to all that replied.
Mrs Pounder is very astute on pricing. She can also see through walls.
I am being taken to Aldi tomorrow and will post Mrs Pounder's opinion.
I hope they have a cafe, I need coffee when shopping!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

No problems but you need to watch the prices. They are big on "loss
leaders" & everything else is no cheaper or even more expensive. The loss
leaders are the ones you see on the TV.

The best thing Mrs Pounder can do is check prices on the internet if she
is on an economy drive.
& note them down, sometimes they are different when you get there.

Thank you and thanks to all that replied.
Mrs Pounder is very astute on pricing. She can also see through walls.
I am being taken to Aldi tomorrow and will post Mrs Pounder's opinion.
I hope they have a cafe, I need coffee when shopping!

Take a flask. Aldi is a basic warehouse style shop. They don't put price
stickers on stuff in order to save money. The price is on a label
somewhere near the item, and if you want to be sure, make certain that
you check that the name on the label *exactly* matches the item you pick up.

You *might* be lucky and find a pub nearby that sells coffee...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
[...]

She will find me a coffee place. In Mrs Pounder I trust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:51:10 -0700 (PDT), Owain
wrote:

On the other hand, the prices are usually printed big enough to be
easily readable unlike the shelf edge microlabels used in other
places.

Above the shelf, in most cases. That takes a lot of getting used to if
you normally shop in Tesdaburys or Waitisons.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Just to note that if you expect to pay by credit card you can't.
Cash or debit card only.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting a
good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

On 03/08/2012 18:54, Corporal Jones wrote:
On 03/08/2012 18:08, gremlin_95 wrote:
On 03/08/2012 17:25, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

It's good, the biscuits are quite good! I have noticed the stuff there
mostly have huge barcodes everywhere which I guess helps with the
speedy checkout too.

It is a bit of a contest to pack your trolley as fast as they pass it
through the checkout, I have only managed it a couple of times, the
checkout people should be in the Olympics.

The idea is you just put your stuff back in the trolley as fast as it
comes through and move over to the shelf opposite to sort out putting it
in bags.

Taking longer than that so you delay other shoppers is just being selfish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
[...]

Apart from meat and similar stuff in trays, the only time you find
individual priced items in any main supermarket now is when they're
being sold off on yellow or red labels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"David WE Roberts" writes:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Just to note that if you expect to pay by credit card you can't.
Cash or debit card only.

and no free bags.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Buy whatever you like at Aldi - but don't put it in your mouth.

The tools are OK but the ones sold at Lidl are better. The breakfast
cereals sold at Aldi are minging. The meat is very poor quality and
expensive compared to Asda. Lidl are slightly cheaper across the range but
still poor value for fresh items. Still, given you're a mock northerner,
you'd be content with a meal of dead dog in a trough garnished with baked
beans. So go for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going
to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc.... Is
Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Buy whatever you like at Aldi - but don't put it in your mouth.

The tools are OK but the ones sold at Lidl are better. The breakfast
cereals sold at Aldi are minging. The meat is very poor quality and
expensive compared to Asda. Lidl are slightly cheaper across the range
but still poor value for fresh items. Still, given you're a mock
northerner, you'd be content with a meal of dead dog in a trough
garnished with baked beans. So go for it.

Don't have an Aldi near by, but do have Lidl. And I'd agree their fresh
stuff is poor. Salad etc stuff not as fresh as the other supermarkets. So
I'd not use it for a one stop shop.
But their houshold materials etc are good value. Some basic cheeses too.
Biscuits. And go elsewhere for fresh stuff. Like the local market if you
have one.

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....

She should use small independent shops, butchers, fishmongers, etc.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote in
-september
..org:

"Mr Pounder" wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Buy whatever you like at Aldi - but don't put it in your mouth.

The tools are OK but the ones sold at Lidl are better. The breakfast
cereals sold at Aldi are minging. The meat is very poor quality and
expensive compared to Asda. Lidl are slightly cheaper across the range
but still poor value for fresh items. Still, given you're a mock
northerner, you'd be content with a meal of dead dog in a trough
garnished with baked beans. So go for it.

The Strawberry Crunch cereal is my absolute favourite.

I couldn't shop for everything at Aldi / Lidl but always go about once a
fornight to get some items that are either excellent value - or known to be
a good taste. Potato Wedges, Red Wine. (Not cheese or bread). Always good
to see the everchanging range of hardware / DIY stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

It varies, some of it is perfectly acceptable, and some of it is rubbish
that you wont buy again.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Aug 3, 9:53 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be
getting a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping
needs.

Be honest, you really want one of those compliant Amish wives ;-)

I'll have 3 of them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going
to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc.... Is
Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

It varies, some of it is perfectly acceptable, and some of it is rubbish
that you wont buy again.

How is that different from ASDA or Tesco?

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going
to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc.... Is
Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

It varies, some of it is perfectly acceptable, and some of it is rubbish
that you wont buy again.

How is that different from ASDA or Tesco?

At least I never feel I'm having the **** taken out of me in Lidls,
unlike Salisbury whose underhand attempts to fool you into buying stuff
with complicated discounts, Nectar points etc just get on my nerves.

The express Aldi/Lidl checkout where stuff ends up on the floor if you
don't quickly put it back in your trolley is an obvious way to keep
prices down. Contrast that with Waitrose where the checkout girls
actually wait until you've positioned each item precisely in your chosen
bag. A very leisurely process for staff and customers but hugely expensive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going
to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc.... Is
Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

It varies, some of it is perfectly acceptable, and some of it is rubbish
that you wont buy again.

How is that different from ASDA or Tesco?

In Asda or Tesco, if you don't like a particular brand of something you try
the brand next to it

In Lidl/Aldi, if you don't like the no-name brand on offer you have to go to
a different shop for that item

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message ...

Owain wrote:
On Aug 3, 9:53 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be
getting a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping
needs.

Be honest, you really want one of those compliant Amish wives ;-)

I'll have 3 of them.

wrong religion :-(

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco
etc.... Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

It varies, some of it is perfectly acceptable, and some of it is
rubbish that you wont buy again.

How is that different from ASDA or Tesco?

In Asda or Tesco, if you don't like a particular brand of something you
try the brand next to it

In Lidl/Aldi, if you don't like the no-name brand on offer you have to
go to a different shop for that item

Firstly, Tim, could you sort your newsreader to do quotes in the accepted
way?

Secondly, Lidl doesn't just do own brand stuff.

Suppose I like ASDA own brand? Can I buy that in Tesco? Stupid point, but
no supermarket I know carries every single brand.

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 12:11:07 +0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:
MM :
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 21:56:02 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

and no free bags.

Which is exactly as it should be. 6.8 *billion* bags were used in
2010! Anyone using a "free" carrier bag should be read the riot act,
in my view. Get a "bag for life", then you'll know it's disposed of
properly when the time comes.

Possibly.

I'm old enough to remember the excitement when supermarkets announced
they'd be giving away plastics carrier bags. As many as you wanted!

But a few years ago on a trip to France where there were no free bags, I
splashed out a euro on a sturdy carrier bag with a flat base. I
immediately realised that free supermarket carrier bags are actually a
pain in the arse. They're a pain to fill, a pain to carry, and they
empty themselves when put down. A few decent large bags for less than
50p each work so much better.

But are useless for lining your under-sink rubbish bin. I hate waste
plastic as much as the next man but as we have to store rubbish for up to
two weeks in our wheely bin, I'm not putting it in there unbagged so
supermarket carrier bags aren't entirely wasted.

How many people are using reusable shopping bags but buying more bin bags?

I keep a trickle of supermarket bags coming into the house precisely
to use as free bin liners. But I don't need them at the moment since
the clothing charity scam people seem to be in the area at the moment
and are leaving lots of bigger, nicer bags that I can use instead for
the same purpose.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting a
good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about £120.
If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....

She should use small independent shops, butchers, fishmongers, etc.

Bill

Pay to park, pay more for the goods, have less choice and wonder up and down
the High Street in the ****ing down rain?
Those days are gone and yes, I do feel sorry for the small shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be
getting a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping
needs. --
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about
£120. If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be
invited back anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored,
looking miserable and "getting in the ****ing way".

That's how proper blokes help with the shopping.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 23:01, Steve Firth wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Buy whatever you like at Aldi - but don't put it in your mouth.

The tools are OK but the ones sold at Lidl are better. The breakfast
cereals sold at Aldi are minging. The meat is very poor quality and
expensive compared to Asda. Lidl are slightly cheaper across the range but
still poor value for fresh items. Still, given you're a mock northerner,
you'd be content with a meal of dead dog in a trough garnished with baked
beans. So go for it.

You wouldn't still be miffed about their cheap olive oil would you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco
etc.... Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

It varies, some of it is perfectly acceptable, and some of it is
rubbish that you wont buy again.

How is that different from ASDA or Tesco?

In Asda or Tesco, if you don't like a particular brand of something you
try the brand next to it

In Lidl/Aldi, if you don't like the no-name brand on offer you have to
go to a different shop for that item

Firstly, Tim, could you sort your newsreader to do quotes in the accepted
way?

Nope.

You want it to work, complain to Microsoft. It was them that removed the
functionality

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Buy whatever you like at Aldi - but don't put it in your mouth.

The tools are OK but the ones sold at Lidl are better. The breakfast
cereals sold at Aldi are minging. The meat is very poor quality and
expensive compared to Asda. Lidl are slightly cheaper across the range but
still poor value for fresh items. Still, given you're a mock northerner,
you'd be content with a meal of dead dog in a trough garnished with baked
beans. So go for it.

You wouldn't still be miffed about their cheap olive oil would you?

Trust me! The one thing that you don't want to do is buy cheap olive oil
(unless it's for ear drops)

tim

ALDI FYI The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 November 7th 11 05:41 PM
Aldi George UK diy 25 October 14th 07 07:50 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 raden UK diy 2 May 20th 06 08:14 AM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 7 May 19th 06 09:14 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 Grumps UK diy 2 May 19th 06 07:49 PM