Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Aldi

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 23:30:22 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

polygonum wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Any operation with even half a clue has self checkouts.

I purposely avoid shops which make me use self checkouts.

None of them do, they are always optional, stupid.

Optional in the sense that I could ask for a till to be opened and wait
around while they find someone to do so, maybe. But as that is so
ludicrously time-taking it becomes optional in the sense of going to a
supermarket which does have a real till open.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

polygonum wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Any operation with even half a clue has self checkouts.

I purposely avoid shops which make me use self checkouts.

None of them do, they are always optional, stupid.

Optional in the sense that I could ask for a till to be opened and wait
around while they find someone to do so, maybe. But as that is so
ludicrously time-taking it becomes optional in the sense of going to a
supermarket which does have a real till open.

--
Rod

They'll have us stacking the friggin shelves, next. Stuff the self
checkouts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote
Rod Speed wrote
polygonum wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Any operation with even half a clue has self checkouts.

I purposely avoid shops which make me use self checkouts.

None of them do, they are always optional, stupid.

Optional in the sense that I could ask for a till to be opened
and wait around while they find someone to do so, maybe.

Nope, optional in the sense that both types are running all
the time and you please yourself which sort you use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 18:10:03 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Some of their always ready NiMH batteries are well worth it too.
(also found at Lidl)

Yes, the ready-to-go batteries seem to be holding up ok; unlike the
previous Lidl ordinary NiMhs, which are all slowly dying off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 18:54:35 +0100, Corporal Jones
wrote:

It is a bit of a contest to pack your trolley as fast as they pass it
through the checkout, I have only managed it a couple of times, the
checkout people should be in the Olympics.

When I did monthly shops in Aldidl, I would put a couple of banana
boxes (sleeved fashion) in the bottom of the trolley. Come checkout
time, the stuff would be piled back into the boxes and the surplus
bunged on top for bagging at the car. Two full banana boxes hold a
surprising amount of stuff, making it easy to simply lift and drop
into the rear hatch/boot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and
is going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....

She should use small independent shops, butchers, fishmongers,
etc.

Bill

Pay to park, pay more for the goods, have less choice and wonder
up and down the High Street in the ****ing down rain?
Those days are gone and yes, I do feel sorry for the small shops.

Pay for parking? It's OK to park on double yellow lines and nip
into the shop if you put your hazard warning lights on.

Round here, double yellow lines just help you see the kerb... I have
not seen a policeman in the village since last year when some major
football was on - then 3 PSCOs appeared.

So you have yet to still see a police officer:-)

PCSOs are NOT the police.

This is true. Not only that - but this bunch looked like they were being
kept out the way of the real work down in Hastings (ie if they were deployed
in Hastings, they would be debagged and thrown in the sea by the chavs in
about 3 minutes).

Robertsbridge has not had a major public order incident since 1740 when the
Hawkhurst Gang had a bit of pistol related fun with the Customs men.

On that basis, deploying one G4S body these days would seem excessive, let
alone a PCSO with coke bottle specs.

When the PCSO used to come and see me regarding complaints about me he had
to be accompanied by the police.

PCSOs are worthless. You are allowed to tell them to **** off and you have
the same powers of arrest as they do.

They are nothing other than dog **** ticketers and they are as thick as
pig ****.
.

Ours are pleasant enough but I'm not sure they are a lot of use...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

Mr Pounder wrote:
[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgdnDOe6uc

The one I fell out with started off by assuming I was guilty. I put him
straight and told him to **** off my property and send someone around to
arrest me about the complaint they had received about me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 19:51:03 +0100, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

"tim....." wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
Firstly, Tim, could you sort your newsreader to do quotes in the
accepted way?

Nope.

You want it to work, complain to Microsoft. It was them that removed
the functionality

Since when is anyone forced to use MS products? Lots of alternatives
that
do things correctly.

But searching for another one that I like is not "fixing it" is it.

Having, in the past already looked at the alternatives to OE and not
liked
them, I have no intention of doing it again just because what I have is
broken in a way that doesn't bother me

tim

Yes. I also use OE and an awful lot of people still do.
I could never get my empty head around Thunderbird. Yahoo etc is ****e.
Hotmail looks to be okay. It don't work with Firefox though.

They've just announced that they are going to re-vamp Hotmail and
re-brand it as Outlook. I kid you not - look he
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07...cessor_launch/

So this might not be the best time to migrate.

Nick

I know.
I bet it still will not work with Firefox.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:

"Nick Odell" wrote:

They've just announced that they are going to re-vamp Hotmail and
re-brand it as Outlook.

I bet it still will not work with Firefox.

Seems to work just fine (as do the linked web versions of Office apps)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 00:00:59 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

polygonum wrote
Rod Speed wrote
polygonum wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Any operation with even half a clue has self checkouts.

I purposely avoid shops which make me use self checkouts.

None of them do, they are always optional, stupid.

Optional in the sense that I could ask for a till to be opened and
wait around while they find someone to do so, maybe.

Nope, optional in the sense that both types are running all
the time and you please yourself which sort you use.

You don't know what happens in my local supermarkets? Actually you don't
appear to know anything of any use or interest to anyone else.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Mr Pounder wrote:

"Nick Odell" wrote:

They've just announced that they are going to re-vamp Hotmail and
re-brand it as Outlook.

I bet it still will not work with Firefox.

Seems to work just fine (as do the linked web versions of Office apps)

I could not get it to work.
Google did chuck up some issues.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
See previous post. I knew that there was something not right about the
supposed Italian extra-virgin olive oil sold in German supermarkets
because it was for sale at prices lower than the guaranteed wholesale price
for the product.

I've seen 'Produced in UK' olive oil from Asda. Unless that was grown on
the arid slopes of the Grampians, I suspect 'Produced' means 'packaged'. My
guess therefore is the cheap extra-virgin is a blend of non-EU - perhaps
Tunisian or Turkish or something. I don't know how the guaranteed price
works - I assumed there's a tariff to stop imported oil undercutting the
fixed price - but maybe they exploit a loophole somewhere.

OTOH olive oil that's not extra virgin is extracted from the dregs of the
olive pits by solvents. I'd rather than cheap extra virgin that is the
first press of the olives by mechanical means than something that's been
chemically processed...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Theo Markettos
wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
See previous post. I knew that there was something not right about the
supposed Italian extra-virgin olive oil sold in German supermarkets
because it was for sale at prices lower than the guaranteed wholesale
price for the product.

I've seen 'Produced in UK' olive oil from Asda. Unless that was grown on
the arid slopes of the Grampians,

no worse than "Yorkshire tea" - but, possibly the oil is pressed in the UK
from imported olives.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

I've seen 'Produced in UK' olive oil from Asda. Unless that was grown on
the arid slopes of the Grampians, I suspect 'Produced' means 'packaged'.

Yes, that's correct. There are many subtleties to EU labelling that
permit suppliers to mislead the public. Much of what is sold in Italy,
Greece and Spain is not produced locally. The big companies bottle the
oil there, the oil itself comes from places like Israel, Tunisia,
Turkey, Lebanon, Algeria and Morocco. There's nothing wrong with this
IMO, but it would be preferable to see it labelled with the country of
origin, rather than the place it was put into a bottle.

My guess therefore is the cheap extra-virgin is a blend of non-EU -
perhaps Tunisian or Turkish or something.

The olive oil in question wasn't EVOO, it was pomace oil, "lampante" and
other low grade oils blended with some EVOO and other stuff then heat
treated to give it a chemical signature that would fool most analyses
other than "organoleptic" (what does it taste and smell like) and a
sophisticated test employed by the Germans to check for signs of heat
treatment.

I don't know how the guaranteed price works - I assumed there's a tariff
to stop imported oil undercutting the fixed price - but maybe they exploit
a loophole somewhere.

No, it's not a guaranteed price it's the market price for oil sold at
the wholesale rate via the local agricultural co-operatives. It's an
agreed price between the co-ops and the bottlers/supermarkets. It
represents the lowest price that one could expect to get for EVOO. Most
farmers don't sell that way. If their product is any good it will be
sold in advance to restaurants direct for a higher price. The market
works much like the wine market. Some farmers sell direct to
restaurants, others prefer to bottle themselves or supply in bulk at the
farm gate to the passing trade, others will sell via the local co-op and
have no idea where it goes after that.

The current co-op price in Italy is £7 per litre and it's £9 per litre
for sales at the farm gate. That means that if you see a bottle in the
UK for less than £7 a litre that it cannot be Italian produced EVOO. At
the price that the German supermarkets sell it for it cannot be EVOO.

OTOH olive oil that's not extra virgin is extracted from the dregs of the
olive pits by solvents.

Not quite. EVOO is defined as oil with a specific acidity. It's possible
for oil that is produced as a first pressing of oil solely by mechanical
means to *not* be EVOO. This usually happens in countries that take the
bizarre view that it's better to let the olives fall from the trees as
over-ripe fruit than it is to harvest them while still firm.

The stuff that is steam and chemical extracted from the olive waste
(pomace) is then chemically treated to produce "refined" olive oil. This
is, in truth, best used as a lubricant for food processing machinery but
often gets re-packaged for sale in countries that know nothing about
olive oil.

I'd rather than cheap extra virgin that is the first press of the olives
by mechanical means than something that's been chemically processed...

Indeed. All the farmers I know would rather burn pomace on their fire
over winter than sell it to companies that will use the refined olive
oil to produce an adulterated "EVOO" for sale at knock-down prices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

no worse than "Yorkshire tea" - but, possibly the oil is pressed in the UK
from imported olives.

No. There is to the best of my knowledge no suitable oil press in the
UK. Not only that, but olives shipped in bulk start to ferment within
two days of picking. Putting them into a ship and sailing for the UK
would ensure that the ship arrived full of slimy, stinking olives
crawling with maggots. The sensible way to do it is to press close to
the source of production.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
charles wrote:

no worse than "Yorkshire tea" - but, possibly the oil is pressed in the
UK from imported olives.

No. There is to the best of my knowledge no suitable oil press in the
UK. Not only that, but olives shipped in bulk start to ferment within
two days of picking. Putting them into a ship and sailing for the UK
would ensure that the ship arrived full of slimy, stinking olives
crawling with maggots. The sensible way to do it is to press close to
the source of production.

I was thinking of VP wines of Kingston- but even they got the grape juice
in bulk. Presumably you could use a refrigerated ship for olives - as they
do for bananas?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

I was thinking of VP wines of Kingston- but even they got the grape juice
in bulk. Presumably you could use a refrigerated ship for olives - as they
do for bananas?

I don't think so, the spoiling of the olives seems to be driven by the
damage that occurs during picking which causes the fruit to self
destruct - like an apple that has been dropped on the floor. It all
seems like unnecessary complication when the olives can be pressed close
to where they are harvested by people who know what they are doing.
Since most of the olive is waste (water and pomace) what advantage is
there in shipping whole olives some 2000 miles to a country where labour
is more expensive than at the point of origin?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Yes, that's correct. There are many subtleties to EU labelling that
permit suppliers to mislead the public. Much of what is sold in Italy,
Greece and Spain is not produced locally. The big companies bottle the
oil there, the oil itself comes from places like Israel, Tunisia,
Turkey, Lebanon, Algeria and Morocco. There's nothing wrong with this
IMO, but it would be preferable to see it labelled with the country of
origin, rather than the place it was put into a bottle.

I suspect the actual provenance of the oil depends on what was cheap this
week, and so it isn't practical to individually label the mixes. But
'Bottled in Italy, a blend of EU and non-EU oils' or something is better
than 'Produce of Italy'. I think the Co-op do this - saying something like
'there's a 40% chance this came from Spain, a 30% chance from Greece and a
30% chance from Italy' but I don't know how often these labels get updated.

The olive oil in question wasn't EVOO, it was pomace oil, "lampante" and
other low grade oils blended with some EVOO and other stuff then heat
treated to give it a chemical signature that would fool most analyses
other than "organoleptic" (what does it taste and smell like) and a
sophisticated test employed by the Germans to check for signs of heat
treatment.

Ah, didn't consider such advanced tricks. I suppose at £7/litre forgery is
worth it.

No, it's not a guaranteed price it's the market price for oil sold at
the wholesale rate via the local agricultural co-operatives. It's an
agreed price between the co-ops and the bottlers/supermarkets. It
represents the lowest price that one could expect to get for EVOO. Most
farmers don't sell that way. If their product is any good it will be
sold in advance to restaurants direct for a higher price. The market
works much like the wine market. Some farmers sell direct to
restaurants, others prefer to bottle themselves or supply in bulk at the
farm gate to the passing trade, others will sell via the local co-op and
have no idea where it goes after that.

So essentially the good stuff never makes it out of Italy?

The current co-op price in Italy is £7 per litre and it's £9 per litre
for sales at the farm gate. That means that if you see a bottle in the
UK for less than £7 a litre that it cannot be Italian produced EVOO. At
the price that the German supermarkets sell it for it cannot be EVOO.

Here's a bottle of Aldi oil, think it was about £3 for 500ml (so not the
2.25 for 750ml stuff):

Specially Selected Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
[EU Protected Designation of Origin mark]
Terra di Bari Bitonto
Superior Category Olive Oil obtained directly from Olives and solely by
mechanical means
Garantito dal Ministero delle Politche Agricole, Alimentari e Forestali ai
sensi dell'articolo 10 del regolamento (CE) 510/2006.
Bottling plant: Medsol srl.; Viale A. Olivetti 37, Zona ASI, 70056 Molfetta
(BA), Italy, COD. OP. BATB1696
The usual Aldi address [so it's their own brand not a 'special buy']

Is that sufficient to ensure it's Italian oil? Obviously bottled in Italy,
but does the PDoO mark ensure the provenance of the oil itself?

OTOH olive oil that's not extra virgin is extracted from the dregs of the
olive pits by solvents.

Not quite. EVOO is defined as oil with a specific acidity. It's possible
for oil that is produced as a first pressing of oil solely by mechanical
means to *not* be EVOO. This usually happens in countries that take the
bizarre view that it's better to let the olives fall from the trees as
over-ripe fruit than it is to harvest them while still firm.

Fair point. EVOO is acidity 0.7% (I think) + mechanical pressing.
I think the figure is something like 70% of production is EVOO, so anything
that fails is already scraping the barrel.

The stuff that is steam and chemical extracted from the olive waste
(pomace) is then chemically treated to produce "refined" olive oil. This
is, in truth, best used as a lubricant for food processing machinery but
often gets re-packaged for sale in countries that know nothing about
olive oil.

I assume this is the stuff we see in Sainsbury's etc as 'mild olive oil'? I
can't see EVOO that fails the acidity test being rated as 'mild'.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
I suspect the actual provenance of the oil depends on what was cheap this
week, and so it isn't practical to individually label the mixes. But
'Bottled in Italy, a blend of EU and non-EU oils' or something is better
than 'Produce of Italy'. I think the Co-op do this - saying something like
'there's a 40% chance this came from Spain, a 30% chance from Greece and a
30% chance from Italy' but I don't know how often these labels get updated.

Just found a bottle of the £2.25/750ml Aldi EVOO and it says exactly that:
"A blend of oils of European Union origin". That means it's likely to be
Greece/Italy/Spain/Portugal/maybe France and Cyprus. It's decent enough
quality for everyday use.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 6:27*pm, Theo Markettos
wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
See previous post. I knew that there was something not right about the
supposed Italian *extra-virgin olive oil sold in German supermarkets
because it was for sale at prices lower than the guaranteed wholesale price
for the product.

I've seen 'Produced in UK' olive oil from Asda. *Unless that was grown on
the arid slopes of the Grampians,

Watch out for this http://www.huggitsfarmolives.com/

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:
I suspect the actual provenance of the oil depends on what was cheap this
week, and so it isn't practical to individually label the mixes. But
'Bottled in Italy, a blend of EU and non-EU oils' or something is better
than 'Produce of Italy'. I think the Co-op do this - saying something like
'there's a 40% chance this came from Spain, a 30% chance from Greece and a
30% chance from Italy' but I don't know how often these labels get updated.

Just found a bottle of the £2.25/750ml Aldi EVOO and it says exactly that:
"A blend of oils of European Union origin". That means it's likely to be
Greece/Italy/Spain/Portugal/maybe France and Cyprus.

You forgot Britain German Polish and Czechoslovakian rape seed oil

It's decent enough
quality for everyday use.

Theo

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:06:45 +0100, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

Are you four years old?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message

tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco
etc.... Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

It varies, some of it is perfectly acceptable, and some of it is
rubbish that you wont buy again.

How is that different from ASDA or Tesco?

In Asda or Tesco, if you don't like a particular brand of something you
try the brand next to it

In Lidl/Aldi, if you don't like the no-name brand on offer you have to
go to a different shop for that item

-----------

Nope.

You want it to work, complain to Microsoft. It was them that removed the
functionality

Woss Microsoft got to do with anything?

1) Use a proper computer

2) Use a proper NewsReader.

Why?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
They run stuff past the scanner at
least twice as fast as I've seen it done in this country.

Try waitrose. about 3 times faster than tescos.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 20:09, Tim Streater wrote:

tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

[...]

-

Why?

tim

because otherwise we'll assume you're a cnut.

Assume? ;-)

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Colton" wrote in message
eb.com...

because otherwise we'll assume you're a cnut.

Assume? ;-)

According to your header you are using MS Windows as well, so what does that
make you?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 22:56, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"David WE Roberts" writes:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Just to note that if you expect to pay by credit card you can't.
Cash or debit card only.

and no free bags.

I use the small laundry bags which hold about twice as much as a carrier
bag and last 2 or 3 years before starting to fall apart.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-10-x-Small-Strong-Laundry-Storage-Shopping-Bags-/160492655617?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item255e1b9401

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 14:51, tim..... wrote:

Trust me! The one thing that you don't want to do is buy cheap olive
oil (unless it's for ear drops)

But the Aldi olive oil is the top quality - they don't have a x10
mark-up on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" writes:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Just to note that if you expect to pay by credit card you can't.
Cash or debit card only.

and no free bags.

I use the small laundry bags which hold about twice as much as a carrier
bag and last 2 or 3 years before starting to fall apart.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-10-x-Small-Strong-Laundry-Storage-Shopping-Bags-/160492655617?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item255e1b9401

Hmmm. I reckon it's a short step from a bag like that to a wheeled shopping
cart and sheepskin booties. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
I use the small laundry bags which hold about twice as much as a
carrier bag and last 2 or 3 years before starting to fall apart.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-10-x-Small-Strong-Laundry-Storage-Shopping-Bags-/160492655617?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item255e1b9401

Hmmm. I reckon it's a short step from a bag like that to a wheeled
shopping cart and sheepskin booties. ;-)

Do you want to look like you can't afford a washing machine? ;-)

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Hmmm. I reckon it's a short step from a bag like that to a wheeled shopping
cart and sheepskin booties. ;-)

Do you find yourself, as I find myself, smirking slightly at the sight
of the numerous chavettes wandering around around in summer wearing
sheepskin booties because they saw some WAG wearing the same boots in
the winter? OK, so they don't have the zip up the front, but they're not
*that* far from what my granny used to wear.

I wonder how many of them have red flannel vests and knickers that go
down to the knee to complete "the look"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 17:02:25 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Hmmm. I reckon it's a short step from a bag like that to a wheeled
shopping cart and sheepskin booties. ;-)

Meh. Only in this country. In many other places that bag is ubiqutious
and used for carrying anything from laundry to chickens. How they manage
to move the larger sizes I don't know, the larger ones are 3 x 4 x 2
feet....

I wonder how many of them have red flannel vests and knickers that go
down to the knee to complete "the look"?

Jenny Agutter.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM writes:
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 21:56:02 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

and no free bags.

Which is exactly as it should be. 6.8 *billion* bags were used in
2010! Anyone using a "free" carrier bag should be read the riot act,
in my view. Get a "bag for life", then you'll know it's disposed of
properly when the time comes. Or get a hessian bag.

So a check over the last few weeks shows each carrier bag gets reused
2 - 3 times for shopping, before becoming the kitchen bin-liner.
The only bag which was thrown away was one which was used 4 times
and something cut a long slit in it, making it unusable as a bin-
liner.

So I'm now quite happy that the bag wastage in this household is
nothing, the only one having been thrown away due to being reused
too many times before becoming the bin liner.

The kitchen bin came from Woolworths many (10?) years ago, and is
a pedal bin which is designed to use carrier bags as bin liners, so
I never buy bin liners.

We have a little cubby-hole (meant to take a wine bottle) into which
the plastic bags get stuffed, and fished out when going shopping or
when needing a bin-liner. When it's almost empty, you don't take any
for shopping, and that's how equalibrium is maintained. It's worked
very well since buying the kitchen bin designed to take plastic bags
as bin-liners, and we've never needed to buy bin-liners.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:10:35 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

and no free bags.

Which is exactly as it should be. 6.8 *billion* bags were used in
2010! Anyone using a "free" carrier bag should be read the riot act,
in my view. Get a "bag for life", then you'll know it's disposed of
properly when the time comes. Or get a hessian bag.

So a check over the last few weeks shows each carrier bag gets reused
2 - 3 times for shopping, before becoming the kitchen bin-liner.
The only bag which was thrown away was one which was used 4 times
and something cut a long slit in it, making it unusable as a bin-
liner.

Mine get used for months and then the wear on them inside the panniers borks
them, but these are the heavier ones (not 'bag for life' - they're too
bulky). My bags are sourced from my neighbour's shed as she always forgets
to take any, so my actual take of new bags is limited to 2 or 3 a year.

So I'm now quite happy that the bag wastage in this household is
nothing, the only one having been thrown away due to being reused
too many times before becoming the bin liner.

I don't use a bin-liner as nothing messy (on the outside) ever goes in the
bin.

The kitchen bin came from Woolworths many (10?) years ago, and is
a pedal bin which is designed to use carrier bags as bin liners, so
I never buy bin liners.

Mine is a large plastic waste-bin, 99p from a local garage and just on the
limit for getting the bottom quarter into a large pannier and strapping it
in. Had it about 20 years. (your bid).

We have a little cubby-hole (meant to take a wine bottle) into which
the plastic bags get stuffed, and fished out when going shopping or
when needing a bin-liner. When it's almost empty, you don't take any
for shopping, and that's how equalibrium is maintained. It's worked
very well since buying the kitchen bin designed to take plastic bags
as bin-liners, and we've never needed to buy bin-liners.

Yup, a little bit of management and bags 'rattling down' the system produces
very little waste.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

ALDI FYI The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 November 7th 11 05:41 PM
Aldi George UK diy 25 October 14th 07 07:50 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 raden UK diy 2 May 20th 06 08:14 AM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 7 May 19th 06 09:14 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 Grumps UK diy 2 May 19th 06 07:49 PM