Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Aldi

In article ,
MM writes:
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 21:56:02 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

and no free bags.

Which is exactly as it should be. 6.8 *billion* bags were used in
2010! Anyone using a "free" carrier bag should be read the riot act,
in my view. Get a "bag for life", then you'll know it's disposed of
properly when the time comes. Or get a hessian bag.

So a check over the last few weeks shows each carrier bag gets reused
2 - 3 times for shopping, before becoming the kitchen bin-liner.
The only bag which was thrown away was one which was used 4 times
and something cut a long slit in it, making it unusable as a bin-
liner.

So I'm now quite happy that the bag wastage in this household is
nothing, the only one having been thrown away due to being reused
too many times before becoming the bin liner.

The kitchen bin came from Woolworths many (10?) years ago, and is
a pedal bin which is designed to use carrier bags as bin liners, so
I never buy bin liners.

We have a little cubby-hole (meant to take a wine bottle) into which
the plastic bags get stuffed, and fished out when going shopping or
when needing a bin-liner. When it's almost empty, you don't take any
for shopping, and that's how equalibrium is maintained. It's worked
very well since buying the kitchen bin designed to take plastic bags
as bin-liners, and we've never needed to buy bin-liners.

--
Andrew Gabriel