Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Aldi

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Better than the expensive ****e you get from Asda, and I've never had
anything from Tesco's that I've liked, except beer when it's on offer and
this is the only time I go there.
Aldi do good fresh meat and veg, and their tinned and bottled goods are
better and cheaper than any of the major supermarket's own brands, the only
drawback is it's absolutely packed out every weekend and you will queue at
peak times, also you might not get a parking space close by

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 17:33, Phil L wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Better than the expensive ****e you get from Asda, and I've never had
anything from Tesco's that I've liked, except beer when it's on offer and
this is the only time I go there.
Aldi do good fresh meat and veg, and their tinned and bottled goods are
better and cheaper than any of the major supermarket's own brands, the only
drawback is it's absolutely packed out every weekend and you will queue at
peak times, also you might not get a parking space close by

Only the poor people used to go to Aldi, but now there are Mercedes and
Beamers parked in ours, so as usual the rich catch onto where to save
money. Lidl can also have some good bargains, even on non generic food.
On the plus side, actually 2 pluses, Aldi check outs are like greased
lightening, also go with your wife, they both have very good DIY offers
from time to time. I get their emails, which come in twice a week so you
can decide if you would like to assist your wife with her shopping!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Pretty good depending on what you buy. Some of the Lidls do absolutely
fantastic continental breakfast pastries cooked on the premises. Way
better than anything you can get in *any* UK supermarket.

[...]

They have also been known to have some pretty incredible computer
bargains of Medion kit that is amenable to Hackintosh treatment. You can
tell when there is a queue of hairy unwashed computer geeks hanging
about outside one at 7.45 in the morning (ISTR Thursdays).

Yes I have bought one. Works fine. (although as a Windows machine)
Latest models are not quite so good for this.

Some of their always ready NiMH batteries are well worth it too.
(also found at Lidl)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 18:10:03 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Some of their always ready NiMH batteries are well worth it too.
(also found at Lidl)

Yes, the ready-to-go batteries seem to be holding up ok; unlike the
previous Lidl ordinary NiMhs, which are all slowly dying off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

And I can now vouch that the Aldi fresh quarter pounders at £2 for four are
excellent, having just had two for my tea, on Aldi's own white burger buns,
one with cheese, both with lettuce, onion,mayo and tomato.

Quite stumpy, thick burgers, little fat comes out, retain their shape well
and quite moist when cooked, they are lightly seasoned with herbs and are
over 90% beef, gonna get some more next week

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 17:25, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

It's good, the biscuits are quite good! I have noticed the stuff there
mostly have huge barcodes everywhere which I guess helps with the speedy
checkout too.

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 18:08, gremlin_95 wrote:
On 03/08/2012 17:25, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

It's good, the biscuits are quite good! I have noticed the stuff there
mostly have huge barcodes everywhere which I guess helps with the
speedy checkout too.

It is a bit of a contest to pack your trolley as fast as they pass it
through the checkout, I have only managed it a couple of times, the
checkout people should be in the Olympics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

On 03/08/2012 18:54, Corporal Jones wrote:
On 03/08/2012 18:08, gremlin_95 wrote:
On 03/08/2012 17:25, Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

It's good, the biscuits are quite good! I have noticed the stuff there
mostly have huge barcodes everywhere which I guess helps with the
speedy checkout too.

It is a bit of a contest to pack your trolley as fast as they pass it
through the checkout, I have only managed it a couple of times, the
checkout people should be in the Olympics.

The idea is you just put your stuff back in the trolley as fast as it
comes through and move over to the shelf opposite to sort out putting it
in bags.

Taking longer than that so you delay other shoppers is just being selfish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 18:54:35 +0100, Corporal Jones
wrote:

It is a bit of a contest to pack your trolley as fast as they pass it
through the checkout, I have only managed it a couple of times, the
checkout people should be in the Olympics.

When I did monthly shops in Aldidl, I would put a couple of banana
boxes (sleeved fashion) in the bottom of the trolley. Come checkout
time, the stuff would be piled back into the boxes and the surplus
bunged on top for bagging at the car. Two full banana boxes hold a
surprising amount of stuff, making it easy to simply lift and drop
into the rear hatch/boot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

No problems but you need to watch the prices. They are big on "loss leaders"
& everything else is no cheaper or even more expensive. The loss leaders
are the ones you see on the TV.

The best thing Mrs Pounder can do is check prices on the internet if she is
on an economy drive.
& note them down, sometimes they are different when you get there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

No problems but you need to watch the prices. They are big on "loss
leaders" & everything else is no cheaper or even more expensive. The loss
leaders are the ones you see on the TV.

The best thing Mrs Pounder can do is check prices on the internet if she
is on an economy drive.
& note them down, sometimes they are different when you get there.

Thank you and thanks to all that replied.
Mrs Pounder is very astute on pricing. She can also see through walls.
I am being taken to Aldi tomorrow and will post Mrs Pounder's opinion.
I hope they have a cafe, I need coffee when shopping!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

No problems but you need to watch the prices. They are big on "loss
leaders" & everything else is no cheaper or even more expensive. The loss
leaders are the ones you see on the TV.

The best thing Mrs Pounder can do is check prices on the internet if she
is on an economy drive.
& note them down, sometimes they are different when you get there.

Thank you and thanks to all that replied.
Mrs Pounder is very astute on pricing. She can also see through walls.
I am being taken to Aldi tomorrow and will post Mrs Pounder's opinion.
I hope they have a cafe, I need coffee when shopping!

Take a flask. Aldi is a basic warehouse style shop. They don't put price
stickers on stuff in order to save money. The price is on a label
somewhere near the item, and if you want to be sure, make certain that
you check that the name on the label *exactly* matches the item you pick up.

You *might* be lucky and find a pub nearby that sells coffee...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
[...]

She will find me a coffee place. In Mrs Pounder I trust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
[...]

Apart from meat and similar stuff in trays, the only time you find
individual priced items in any main supermarket now is when they're
being sold off on yellow or red labels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Just to note that if you expect to pay by credit card you can't.
Cash or debit card only.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"David WE Roberts" writes:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Just to note that if you expect to pay by credit card you can't.
Cash or debit card only.

and no free bags.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM writes:
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 21:56:02 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

and no free bags.

Which is exactly as it should be. 6.8 *billion* bags were used in
2010! Anyone using a "free" carrier bag should be read the riot act,
in my view. Get a "bag for life", then you'll know it's disposed of
properly when the time comes. Or get a hessian bag.

So a check over the last few weeks shows each carrier bag gets reused
2 - 3 times for shopping, before becoming the kitchen bin-liner.
The only bag which was thrown away was one which was used 4 times
and something cut a long slit in it, making it unusable as a bin-
liner.

So I'm now quite happy that the bag wastage in this household is
nothing, the only one having been thrown away due to being reused
too many times before becoming the bin liner.

The kitchen bin came from Woolworths many (10?) years ago, and is
a pedal bin which is designed to use carrier bags as bin liners, so
I never buy bin liners.

We have a little cubby-hole (meant to take a wine bottle) into which
the plastic bags get stuffed, and fished out when going shopping or
when needing a bin-liner. When it's almost empty, you don't take any
for shopping, and that's how equalibrium is maintained. It's worked
very well since buying the kitchen bin designed to take plastic bags
as bin-liners, and we've never needed to buy bin-liners.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:10:35 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

and no free bags.

Which is exactly as it should be. 6.8 *billion* bags were used in
2010! Anyone using a "free" carrier bag should be read the riot act,
in my view. Get a "bag for life", then you'll know it's disposed of
properly when the time comes. Or get a hessian bag.

So a check over the last few weeks shows each carrier bag gets reused
2 - 3 times for shopping, before becoming the kitchen bin-liner.
The only bag which was thrown away was one which was used 4 times
and something cut a long slit in it, making it unusable as a bin-
liner.

Mine get used for months and then the wear on them inside the panniers borks
them, but these are the heavier ones (not 'bag for life' - they're too
bulky). My bags are sourced from my neighbour's shed as she always forgets
to take any, so my actual take of new bags is limited to 2 or 3 a year.

So I'm now quite happy that the bag wastage in this household is
nothing, the only one having been thrown away due to being reused
too many times before becoming the bin liner.

I don't use a bin-liner as nothing messy (on the outside) ever goes in the
bin.

The kitchen bin came from Woolworths many (10?) years ago, and is
a pedal bin which is designed to use carrier bags as bin liners, so
I never buy bin liners.

Mine is a large plastic waste-bin, 99p from a local garage and just on the
limit for getting the bottom quarter into a large pannier and strapping it
in. Had it about 20 years. (your bid).

We have a little cubby-hole (meant to take a wine bottle) into which
the plastic bags get stuffed, and fished out when going shopping or
when needing a bin-liner. When it's almost empty, you don't take any
for shopping, and that's how equalibrium is maintained. It's worked
very well since buying the kitchen bin designed to take plastic bags
as bin-liners, and we've never needed to buy bin-liners.

Yup, a little bit of management and bags 'rattling down' the system produces
very little waste.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 22:56, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"David WE Roberts" writes:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Just to note that if you expect to pay by credit card you can't.
Cash or debit card only.

and no free bags.

I use the small laundry bags which hold about twice as much as a carrier
bag and last 2 or 3 years before starting to fall apart.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-10-x-Small-Strong-Laundry-Storage-Shopping-Bags-/160492655617?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item255e1b9401

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" writes:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going to
Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Just to note that if you expect to pay by credit card you can't.
Cash or debit card only.

and no free bags.

I use the small laundry bags which hold about twice as much as a carrier
bag and last 2 or 3 years before starting to fall apart.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-10-x-Small-Strong-Laundry-Storage-Shopping-Bags-/160492655617?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item255e1b9401

Hmmm. I reckon it's a short step from a bag like that to a wheeled shopping
cart and sheepskin booties. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
I use the small laundry bags which hold about twice as much as a
carrier bag and last 2 or 3 years before starting to fall apart.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-10-x-Small-Strong-Laundry-Storage-Shopping-Bags-/160492655617?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item255e1b9401

Hmmm. I reckon it's a short step from a bag like that to a wheeled
shopping cart and sheepskin booties. ;-)

Do you want to look like you can't afford a washing machine? ;-)

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Hmmm. I reckon it's a short step from a bag like that to a wheeled shopping
cart and sheepskin booties. ;-)

Do you find yourself, as I find myself, smirking slightly at the sight
of the numerous chavettes wandering around around in summer wearing
sheepskin booties because they saw some WAG wearing the same boots in
the winter? OK, so they don't have the zip up the front, but they're not
*that* far from what my granny used to wear.

I wonder how many of them have red flannel vests and knickers that go
down to the knee to complete "the look"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting a
good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting a
good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about £120.
If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be
getting a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping
needs. --
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about
£120. If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be
invited back anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored,
looking miserable and "getting in the ****ing way".

That's how proper blokes help with the shopping.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be
getting a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping
needs. --
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about
£120. If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be
invited back anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored,
looking miserable and "getting in the ****ing way".

That's how proper blokes help with the shopping.

Is that a compliment?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting
a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about £120.
If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

I sit in the car and read the paper while she shops.

The food will be OK, don't worry.
You DO like wurst and garlic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting
a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about
£120.
If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

I sit in the car and read the paper while she shops.

Mrs Pounder would not tolerate such behaviour!

The food will be OK, don't worry.
You DO like wurst and garlic?

I have worked as a contractor in several abattoirs and have seen some very
unpleasant things.
I have also seen the boxes labelled as --- Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose,
Asda, M&S etc. The meat all comes from the same place.
Bread is just the same.
Potato crisps are as above.
Nu- Look clothes are made in Viet Nam
It is all a scam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is
going to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....
Is Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

Taa

Who wears the trousers? You or her?

You should be telling her where to shop and that she will not be getting
a good seeing to if she does not comply with your shopping needs.

--
Adam

I don't care where she shops as I am usually not invited.
Today we spent £71, she said that in Tescos it would have been about £120.
If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

Try Lidl then - you'd fit right in.

Although Lidl also do good food, especially the fresh veggies, and they are
closer to us than Aldi :-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

Although Lidl also do good food, especially the fresh veggies, and they
are closer to us than Aldi :-)

The baked in store bread is quite nice in lidl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:06:45 +0100, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

If the food is crap we will not be going back. I will not be invited back
anyway due to trumping, slouching, looking bored, looking miserable and
"getting in the ****ing way".

Are you four years old?

ALDI FYI The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 November 7th 11 05:41 PM
Aldi George UK diy 25 October 14th 07 07:50 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 raden UK diy 2 May 20th 06 08:14 AM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 7 May 19th 06 09:14 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for £150 Grumps UK diy 2 May 19th 06 07:49 PM