Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Aldi

stuart noble wrote:

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going
to Aldi tomorrow. She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc.... Is
Aldi food ****e or is it okay?

It varies, some of it is perfectly acceptable, and some of it is rubbish
that you wont buy again.

How is that different from ASDA or Tesco?

At least I never feel I'm having the **** taken out of me in Lidls,
unlike Salisbury whose underhand attempts to fool you into buying stuff
with complicated discounts, Nectar points etc just get on my nerves.

The express Aldi/Lidl checkout where stuff ends up on the floor if you
don't quickly put it back in your trolley is an obvious way to keep
prices down. Contrast that with Waitrose where the checkout girls
actually wait until you've positioned each item precisely in your chosen
bag. A very leisurely process for staff and customers but hugely expensive

Wing Yip chinese supermarkets are not expensive - probably cheaper for
comparable good compared to Tesco, but they have what I call a prefect
checkout system.

You fill the belt from your trolley (or occasionally a 3rd person appears to
do that). Checkout girl wams it through at a speed comparable to Aldi. Other
bloke/girl packs it into bags - and sorts correctly eg cold items togther,
fragile items on top of heavy items.

You put the bags back in your trolley.

It sounds inefficient, but 3 observations:

1) It is possible they might be handling throughput as fast or slightly
faster than the same number of people on tills with customers packign
slowly.

2) Less hardware (tills etc) is needed.

3) The customer gets actual service - it really is a pleasure shopping there
when the hardest part is to put the bags in the back of the car.

--
Tim Watts