Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Aldi

Mr Pounder wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
Mrs Pounder sez she is spending too much money feeding me and is going
to Aldi tomorrow.
She usually feeds me from Asda or Tesco etc....

She should use small independent shops, butchers, fishmongers, etc.

Bill

Pay to park, pay more for the goods, have less choice and wonder up and
down the High Street in the ****ing down rain?
Those days are gone and yes, I do feel sorry for the small shops.

They worked when the housewife stayed at home all day.

My mum's routine - almost to a tee, when I was pre-school - and yes I can
remember:

1) Fix breakfast for everyone;

2) Clear up, feed the dog; Pay the milkman on that day of the week.

3) Have a fag and a tea;

4) (Optional order, might come later in the day) do some cleaning and yes,
that did include occasionally polishing the front steps with Cardinal Red(!)
once in a while.

5) Take me out with the dog. We'd walk to the other end of the village where
the rec was. I'd get a bit of play on the swings, she'd chinwag with Harry
the groundsman while the dog ran around.

6) We'd walk back popping in shops as we passed. She'd probably have taken a
basket on wheels. The route would include many of the following on a regular
basis:

"Ray's" for a few household things - chinwag with old Ray. I'd rummage in
the "penny box".

Butcher for some meat and sometimes a bone for the dog - chinwag;

Co-Op "supermarket" for a few general things, massive chinwag with her mate
on the tills. Collect Green Shield stamps.

Special treat - stop by "Toys and Games" for a chinwag with My Laurie and
maybe buy some caps or some cheap toy.

One of the other Co-Op shops for some clothing, sewing stuff or household.

Woolworths for the odd thing.

"Deightons" for chemist stuff - chinwag with Mr Deighton.

Drop by the Express Dairy shop for some cold puddings (like mousses,
yoghurts).

Into the "Corn Stores" for Winalot by the pound from a sack served by
Arkwright's younger cousins, both of whom wore brown shop coats. Another
chinwag.

Special treats would mean stopping by Lloyds Bank for another chinwag, or
the Ibis book store (that's still there and looks the same today as 1975!)
or maybe a visit to the library.

Back home in time for lunch..

Bit of play, (no TV, daytime TV was crap). Afternoon - some cleaning, maybe
some gardening. Or one of her friends or teh Avon Lady would drop by for an
hour and tea.

Spend an hour cooking supper in time for father to return from work at about
6pm. When he got in the house, he did nothing, unless there was a DIY job
on.

That's how it was then. These days, "she" would have a "proper job" and ****
all time for all the shennanigans above. So apart from a few old folk the
majority of the customer base for the "village high street shops" have all
but evaporated.

And before anyone things I grew up in "Hovis Land" all the above happened in
Surrey...

--
Tim Watts