Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows live mail

I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the old text
in my replies?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Mike

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on this in
the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first came out for general use.

This was one of the reasons I ditched Windows 7 and reverted back to XP (and
Outlook Express 6).

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:30:16 +0100, Cash wrote:

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Mike

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on this in
the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first came out for general use.

This was one of the reasons I ditched Windows 7 and reverted back to XP (and
Outlook Express 6).

Cash

You could use Thunderbird
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the old
text in my replies?

The easy way? Use Thunderbird or MS Outlook.

OE had Quotefix available, but it won't work on WLM, and OE won't
install easily on Windows 7.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Mike

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on this in
the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first came out for general use.

This was one of the reasons I ditched Windows 7 and reverted back to XP (and
Outlook Express 6).

Cash

You could use Thunderbird

Or agent.
WLM is not fit for purpose as a newsreader.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

WLM is not fit for purpose as a newsreader.

I think you'll find that the last three words are redundant. HTH.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message ...

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the old
text in my replies?

The easy way? Use Thunderbird or MS Outlook.

OE had Quotefix available, but it won't work on WLM, and OE won't install
easily on Windows 7.

--
* I promise I will format my posts properly in the future.
* Windows Live Mail just can't quote! Luckily, I have found this:

OK I've left the ABOVE paragraph in as it is added by quotefix. This reply
is using Windows Live Mail and wlmquote so it does work !!!!!!!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the old
text in my replies?

diwnload Thunderbird and totally utterly forget windows mail, which has
been going backwards for years.

Mike

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Mike
Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on this in
the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first came out for general use.

This was one of the reasons I ditched Windows 7 and reverted back to XP (and
Outlook Express 6).

Cash

You could use Thunderbird

Or agent.
WLM is not fit for purpose as a newsreader.

Agreed. Thunderbird is not that great, but its usable for this sort of
banter.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Williamson
writes
Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the old
text in my replies?

The easy way? Use Thunderbird or MS Outlook.

I didn't think Outlook had a newsreader?

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am
stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

You cant, it doesnt bother to quote.

Talk about a terminal stupidity...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote
Muddymike wrote

I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am
stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on this in the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first
came out for general use.

This was one of the reasons I ditched Windows 7 and reverted back to XP (and Outlook Express 6).

You can run a virtual XP in the better versions of 7 and just run the EO6 in that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote
Muddymike wrote

I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am
stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

The easy way? Use Thunderbird

Yes.

or MS Outlook.

Doesnt do usenet.

OE had Quotefix available, but it won't work on WLM, and OE won't install easily on Windows 7.

Depends on what you call easily. It will run fine in the virtual XP on the better versions of Win 7.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the old
text in my replies?

you can't with WLM v15, but if you sear there are instructions and
downloads out there for removing v15 an installing the older v14 which
does quoting properly ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

you can't with WLM v15, but if you search there are instructions and
downloads out there for removing v15 an installing the older v14 which
does quoting properly ....

old M$ Live installer ...

http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-web.exe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of
using Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Mike

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on
this in the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first came out for
general use.

This was one of the reasons I ditched Windows 7 and reverted back to
XP (and Outlook Express 6).

Cash

You could use Thunderbird

As I said Jim, it was one of the reasons - there were a few other things
that I disliked with Windows 7 anyway.

As for Thunderbird, I tried that a few years ago when I went back to the
local college for four years to learn how to play with and repair computers
(I got bored with retirement) - but I preferred the way that Outlook Express
did things and went back to it.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Cash wrote
Muddymike wrote

I have just started using windows live mail after many years of
using Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on
this in the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first came out for
general use.

This was one of the reasons I ditched Windows 7 and reverted back to
XP (and Outlook Express 6).

You can run a virtual XP in the better versions of 7 and just run the
EO6 in that.

I just didn't like Windows 7 Rod. I found it a bloody nuisance to use
compared to XP to be honest - and as a result, I have two legitmate copies
(one still sealed) lounging about on a shelf doing nothing.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Thunderbird has moved on a bit since then I guess, but in any case it does
not make a good newsreader, but then neither did OE.
There are far better newsreaders around. I use 40tude Dialog and Xnews, but
admit that neither of them is 'easy'. I would suggest Microplanet Gravity.
Agent is good too, but not free.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using Outlook express for email and newsgroups and
am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the old text in my replies?

The easy way? Use Thunderbird or MS Outlook.

OE had Quotefix available, but it won't work on WLM, and OE won't install easily on Windows 7.

--
* I promise I will format my posts properly in the future.
* Windows Live Mail just can't quote! Luckily, I have found this:
* http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/

OK I've left the ABOVE paragraph in as it is added by quotefix. This reply is using Windows Live Mail and wlmquote so
it does work !!!!!!!!

Trouble is that it still has the problem of a separate inbox for each POP server you poll.

Thats a complete pain in the arse for me, so I keep using OE6 in the virtual XP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cash" wrote in message
Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Mike

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on this in
the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first came out for general use.

This is WLM on win7.
I didn't put the in manually.
So apparently you can (but I forget how).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Muddymike wrote

[...]

Agent has got a ****ed UI which sees too many asking how to do stuff.

If it had a more intuitive UI they wouldnt be doing that.

The other thing I insist on is the same UI for email and usenet.

And a decent fast search in old email because I do search in old email quite
a bit, mostly for stuff I have bought online but also for old conversations with
people when they ask again about something previously discussed etc.

That last is why I like groups.google for archived usenet. Dont
like the UI much tho but tolerate it because thats all there is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Cash wrote
Muddymike wrote

I have just started using windows live mail after many years of
using Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on this in the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first
came out for general use.

This is WLM on win7.
I didn't put the in manually.
So apparently you can (but I forget how).

Its the version, you arent using the lastest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

you can't with WLM v15, but if you search there are instructions and
downloads out there for removing v15 an installing the older v14 which
does quoting properly ....

old M$ Live installer ...

http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-web.exe

That works for me.
Thanks Andy.

Mike
--
* I promise I will format my posts properly in the future.
* Windows Live Mail just can't quote! Luckily, I have found this:
* http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred spake thus:

In article , John Williamson
writes
Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

The easy way? Use Thunderbird or MS Outlook.

I didn't think Outlook had a newsreader?

Outlook does not, Outlook Express does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Cash
?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?@?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.? .?.?.?.?.//.com.invalid
writes

Muddymike wrote:
[...]

I'm presently trying Thunderbird, and I reckon it comes a pretty good
second (or maybe third) to Demon's Turnpike (which I've had for the past
15 years). If I change ISP from Demon, I think I would probably use it.
[Thunderbird is free, and Turnpike would then cost me £200!]

I also had a 30 day trial of Forte Agent. While it might have been a
little more all-embracing than Thunderbird, I didn't really explore many
of its features before the 30 days expired.

BTW, does Quotefix fix anything with Windows Live Mail?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That explains those who said it worked and those who more recently
said it didn't. Thanks Brian.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:06:03 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I think it depends on which version or live mail you have. I think 2009
does
it but 2011 does not.
Brian

I'm using the 2011 version and wlmquote works just fine for me.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Muddymike wrote

[...]

It is still worth learning how to use Agent and using it.

I dont agree. I cant be bothered with ****ed UIs.

The other thing I insist on is the same UI for email and usenet.

Agent has the same UI for both.

Sure, I meant that not all of them do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Martin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Muddymike wrote

[...]

Whatever a ****ed UI is.

I already told you. Too many have to ask how to do basic stuff.

Your loss.

Nope.

The other thing I insist on is the same UI for email and usenet.

Agent has the same UI for both.

Sure, I meant that not all of them do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Martin
escribió:

Whatever a ****ed UI is.

Whatever Woddle's overheated brain thinks it is.

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes

I'm presently trying Thunderbird, and I reckon it comes a pretty good
second (or maybe third) to Demon's Turnpike (which I've had for the
past 15 years). If I change ISP from Demon, I think I would probably
use it. [Thunderbird is free, and Turnpike would then cost me £200!]

Interesting comment. I too am using Turnpike, but mentally preparing
for the day when I will no longer be able to do so. Whilst there are
many Turnpike features I'm sure I would miss, the most important feature
to me is the ability to properly thread both Usenet AND mailing lists -
Yahoo, etc.

Does Thunderbird have that facility, does anyone know? Or Agent, or
....?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2012 7:18 PM, Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the old
text in my replies?

Mike

I had been using WindowsLive for some years (after upgrade from OE) but
on upgrading to W7 found they no longer include it.

Downloaded the free Mozilla Thunderbird ..... it is EXCELLENT, does
everything you need an email progamme to do.
Also using it for usenet

Support is also free great community ... resolution in minutes of any
questions.

So impressed I also dumped IE and now use Mozilla FireFox as my Browser.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:33:39 +0000 (UTC), Scion
wrote:

fred spake thus:

In article , John Williamson
writes
Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

The easy way? Use Thunderbird or MS Outlook.

I didn't think Outlook had a newsreader?

Outlook does not, Outlook Express does.

If you create a desktop shortcut to the main Outlook Express exe
(msimn.exe)* and edit the target field in the property sheet with
[space]/newsonly at the end
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/7...ream/lightbox/
it becomes a dedicated newsreader (still crap though).

*Microsoft Internet Mail & News, apparently

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Ian Jackson
writes

I'm presently trying Thunderbird, and I reckon it comes a pretty good
second (or maybe third) to Demon's Turnpike (which I've had for the
past 15 years). If I change ISP from Demon, I think I would probably
use it. [Thunderbird is free, and Turnpike would then cost me £200!]

Interesting comment. I too am using Turnpike, but mentally preparing
for the day when I will no longer be able to do so. Whilst there are
many Turnpike features I'm sure I would miss, the most important
feature to me is the ability to properly thread both Usenet AND mailing
lists - Yahoo, etc.

Does Thunderbird have that facility, does anyone know? Or Agent, or
...?

I had both Thunderbird and Agent running at the same time, and (for some
reason) seemed to concentrate mainly on Thunderbird (which I've still
got running). Both give you a choice in how you can display the threads
etc, and they can be set to be pretty well the same as Turnpike.

I'd certainly give Thunderbird a try. You can run it in parallel with
Turnpike - just ensure that you tell it not to delete anything from the
server(s). Like Turnpike, you do need to play around a bit with the
general configuration (which is all part of the fun). One thing it
(apparently) lacks is the ability to use different news servers for
different newsgroups. Another (inexplicably) is an inability to manually
delete newsgroup postings (but there's an easy fix for this in the
configuration files). However, I haven't yet found any obvious
show-stoppers.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Martin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Martin wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Muddymike wrote

[...]

Is that really the best you can do?

That is clearly the best you can do.

Too many have to ask how to do all sorts of basic stuff
on PCs. It doesn't mean you have to be one of them.

You dont see anything like as many doing that with the alternatives.

And that cant be because far more use it than the alternatives
either, because they dont and its trivial to prove that.

The other real problem with agent is that it attracts
rabid religious fantatics like moths to a light.

Feel free to have the last word, I wont be bothering with your **** again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote
Ian Jackson wrote
Graeme wrote
Ian Jackson wrote

[...]

Thunderbird can't automatically filter out cross posted messages to
more than a user defined number of groups.

Yes, but now with usenet fading so dramatically, it can make sense to cross post now.

Makes a lot more sense than separately posting the same query to different groups
because cross posted posts do get marked as read in any decent news readeer.

Some groups that look clean using Agent appear
saturated with trolling when using Thunderbird.

You wouldnt know what real trolling was if it bit you on your lard arse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:30:16 +0100, wrote:

Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the
old text in my replies?

Mike

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on this in
the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first came out for general use.

This was one of the reasons I ditched Windows 7 and reverted back to XP
(and
Outlook Express 6).

Cash

Try Opera, it's a fantastic all in one, for web, mail, newsgroups, irc and
more...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:47:07 +0100, Rick
wrote:

On 27/03/2012 7:18 PM, Muddymike wrote:
I have just started using windows live mail after many years of using
Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before the old
text in my replies?

Mike

I had been using WindowsLive for some years (after upgrade from OE) but
on upgrading to W7 found they no longer include it.

Downloaded the free Mozilla Thunderbird ..... it is EXCELLENT, does
everything you need an email progamme to do.
Also using it for usenet

Support is also free great community ... resolution in minutes of any
questions.

So impressed I also dumped IE and now use Mozilla FireFox as my Browser.

Try Opera, it's even better still....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

Yes, but now with usenet fading so dramatically, it can make sense to
cross post now.

People are always saying that usenet is dying,
but the number of postings in the dozen or so newsgroups I look at,
eg this one, seems if anything to be increasing.

Personally, I find Forums (Fora?) an absolute pain to read.
They always look as though they are very busy
because they give the number of postings since the beginning of time,
but actually none of those I look at seem to get more than
a handful of postings each day.
And they seem to have an annoying habit of splitting into sub-forums,
rather like left-wing parties.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin
writes
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:31:42 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

Does Thunderbird have that facility, does anyone know? Or Agent, or
...?

Agent threads properly.

Thank you Martin and Ian for the extremely useful comments. Have
downloaded Thunderbird, and will see how I get on.
--
Graeme

OT - Windows Live Mail hijack? David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 0 January 30th 12 12:40 PM
OT - Windows Live mail Max Woodworking 27 December 26th 11 02:26 PM
O.T. Windows Live Mail Iain UK diy 10 November 17th 11 06:18 PM
OT- Windows Live Mail Max Woodworking 57 April 26th 11 12:33 AM
test from windows live mail George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 3 June 24th 08 05:50 AM