Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O.T. Windows Live Mail

I know that there are a lot of computer savvy people here so hopefully
someone can help
I was stupid enough to install Windows Live Mail on my Windows 7 Home
system and now cannot get totally rid of it.
In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe
(secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second. This
eats up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl.
How can I rid myself of this awful program.

TIA
Iain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-11-17, Iain wrote:
I know that there are a lot of computer savvy people here so hopefully
someone can help I was stupid enough to install Windows Live Mail on my
Windows 7 Home system and now cannot get totally rid of it.
In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe
(secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second. This
eats up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl. How
can I rid myself of this awful program.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2011 10:31, Iain wrote:
I know that there are a lot of computer savvy people here so hopefully
someone can help
I was stupid enough to install Windows Live Mail on my Windows 7 Home
system and now cannot get totally rid of it.
In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe
(secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second.

This eats
up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl.
How can I rid myself of this awful program.

Ubun..... ... ;-)

Download and run 'Process Explorer' from
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

On the left hand tree, expand 'winint.exe/services.exe' and you'll see a
list of 'svchost.exe' processes among others. It's possible to see how
much CPU & memory each (if you add columns to the table) of these is
guzzling, and also hovering with the mouse you can identify the name of
the processes, or program executable.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Iain" wrote in message
I know that there are a lot of computer savvy people here so hopefully
someone can help
I was stupid enough to install Windows Live Mail on my Windows 7 Home
system and now cannot get totally rid of it.
In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe
(secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second. This eats
up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl.
How can I rid myself of this awful program.

Doesn't sound like WLM (I use it - never done this to me). Did you also
install one of the many Windows search programs at the same time? If so
then it is probably indexing your entire hard drive in order to make
searching faster.

Alternatively, apparently Windows Media Centre Services also trawl your
drive presumably looking for MP3, video clips etc to add to your "library".
Do a quick "Google" for "secsvcs" and there are plenty of hits for you to
read and check against what you are seeing.

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2011 10:31, Iain wrote:
I know that there are a lot of computer savvy people here so hopefully
someone can help
I was stupid enough to install Windows Live Mail on my Windows 7 Home
system and now cannot get totally rid of it.
In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe
(secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second. This eats
up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl.
How can I rid myself of this awful program.

TIA
Iain

svchost processes are ones started by services (control panel, admin
tools, services), and nothing to do with Windows Live mail. Check for
malware or crap you have installed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Iain" wrote in message
I know that there are a lot of computer savvy people here so hopefully
someone can help
I was stupid enough to install Windows Live Mail on my Windows 7 Home
system and now cannot get totally rid of it.
In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe
(secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second. This eats
up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl.
How can I rid myself of this awful program.

Take another look and see if it definitely is svchost, as I have a faint
recollection that there is a virus or trojan out there that uses a very
similar name so that people think that it is svchost that they are seeing.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2011 14:59, Steve Walker wrote:
wrote in message
I know that there are a lot of computer savvy people here so hopefully
someone can help
I was stupid enough to install Windows Live Mail on my Windows 7 Home
system and now cannot get totally rid of it.
In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe
(secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second. This eats
up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl.
How can I rid myself of this awful program.

Take another look and see if it definitely is svchost, as I have a faint
recollection that there is a virus or trojan out there that uses a very
similar name so that people think that it is svchost that they are seeing.

svchost covers many things - it's just the service wrapper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I know that there are a lot of computer savvy people here so hopefully
someone can help
I was stupid enough to install Windows Live Mail on my Windows 7 Home
system and now cannot get totally rid of it.
In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe
(secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second. This eats
up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl.
How can I rid myself of this awful program.

Take another look and see if it definitely is svchost, as I have a faint
recollection that there is a virus or trojan out there that uses a very
similar name so that people think that it is svchost that they are
seeing.

svchost covers many things - it's just the service wrapper.

I know that, but there was definitely something a while ago with a very
similar name, deliberately so that people looking what tasks were
running would not look too closely and would miss it.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Iain wrote:

In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe
(secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second. This
eats up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl.

As said, probably not WLM. Run "services.msc" (or find it under control
panel/admin tools) and go thru and set the start up type to Disabled for
"Superfetch". This damn silly thing is usually responsible for endless
disc thrashing. While there you can prune out other things you don't
need. "Themes" can go if you don't want the silly graphics. I've got 16
standard services disabled on this Netbook and it often spins the drive
down (almost unheard of in standard Vista/7 systems!)

Scott

OT- Windows Live Mail Max Woodworking 57 April 26th 11 12:33 AM
OT ish Live Mail The Medway Handyman UK diy 22 January 18th 11 11:40 AM
test from windows live mail George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 3 June 24th 08 05:50 AM