Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default OT- Windows Live Mail

How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2011 4:27 PM, Max wrote:
How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

I don't no how it is handled in live mail, but you can not delete
newsgroup messages from the newsserver. ie that may appear to be gone in
the newsreader, but they will be on the server nearly forever. For a
newreader/email program like Thunderbird, you can adjust the built in
fiters to see only unread. so you only see the new messages.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"k-nuttle" wrote in message
On 4/15/2011 4:27 PM, Max wrote:
How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

I don't no how it is handled in live mail, but you can not delete
newsgroup messages from the newsserver. ie that may appear to be gone in
the newsreader, but they will be on the server nearly forever. For a
newreader/email program like Thunderbird, you can adjust the built in
fiters to see only unread. so you only see the new messages.

I have Windows Vista on a desktop and Windows 7 on a laptop. I read
newsgroups on the desktop and delete the messages daily.
When I use the laptop (about once every 2 weeks) there are 300 message
headers most of which I've already read.
I can't seem to find an easy way to delete all of them from Windows Live
Mail.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:41:42 -0600, "Max" wrote:

"k-nuttle" wrote in message
On 4/15/2011 4:27 PM, Max wrote:
How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

I don't no how it is handled in live mail, but you can not delete
newsgroup messages from the newsserver. ie that may appear to be gone in
the newsreader, but they will be on the server nearly forever. For a
newreader/email program like Thunderbird, you can adjust the built in
fiters to see only unread. so you only see the new messages.

I have Windows Vista on a desktop and Windows 7 on a laptop. I read
newsgroups on the desktop and delete the messages daily.
When I use the laptop (about once every 2 weeks) there are 300 message
headers most of which I've already read.
I can't seem to find an easy way to delete all of them from Windows Live
Mail.

Can't you sort by date and delete all before some date/time?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"k-nuttle" wrote in message
On 4/15/2011 4:27 PM, Max wrote:
[...]

Most windows programs will let you select a range by clicking on one
item the hold down the shift key and select the other end of the
range. You can select individual items by holding down Ctrl. I don't
use Windows Live so I have no idea how it works. Still using Agent 2
and Thunderbird.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...
How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

You don't.

Go to the VIEW menu and the SHOW AND HIDE and select HIDE READ MESSAGES and
you won't see them again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote:

"k-nuttle" wrote in message
On 4/15/2011 4:27 PM, Max wrote:
[...]

Nope. Don't work.

But thanks.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...
How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

You don't.

Go to the VIEW menu and the SHOW AND HIDE and select HIDE READ MESSAGES and
you won't see them again.

Of course the prior comments will hide read messages. But the unread
messages will still display. On my Outlook Live screen, there is a very
small icon in the upper left corner, way at the top, which looks like a pair
of envelopes. If you cursor over that icon it should say "Mark all read".
When I finish a session and have read what I want, I click on that icon and
all the messages become 'read'. My view screen is set up to show only unread
messages. My next session shows only new messages. Hope this helps.

TinWoodsmn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:19:54 -0700, "Tinwoodsmn"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Max" wrote in message
eb.com...
How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

You don't.

Go to the VIEW menu and the SHOW AND HIDE and select HIDE READ MESSAGES and
you won't see them again.

I don't like doing that because you lose context, particularly with people who
don't include context or top-post. It's better to just not expand threads
with no new/unread content.

Of course the prior comments will hide read messages. But the unread
messages will still display. On my Outlook Live screen, there is a very
small icon in the upper left corner, way at the top, which looks like a pair
of envelopes. If you cursor over that icon it should say "Mark all read".
When I finish a session and have read what I want, I click on that icon and
all the messages become 'read'. My view screen is set up to show only unread
messages. My next session shows only new messages. Hope this helps.

TinWoodsmn

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
In article om,
says...

"Mike M" wrote

"Max" wrote:

I have Windows Vista on a desktop and Windows 7 on a laptop. I
read newsgroups on the desktop and delete the messages daily.
When I use the laptop (about once every 2 weeks) there are 300
message headers most of which I've already read.
I can't seem to find an easy way to delete all of them from
Windows Live Mail.

Max
Most windows programs will let you select a range by clicking on one
item the hold down the shift key and select the other end of the
range. You can select individual items by holding down Ctrl. I
don't use Windows Live so I have no idea how it works. Still
using Agent 2 and Thunderbird.

Mike M

Don't work. :-(

On the list of newsgroups on the left, right click the newsgroup and
select "Catch Up". Step two, at the top, Click "view" in the menu
bar, then under "Filter Messages", "Hide Read Messages".

There doesn't seem to be any way to catch up multiple newsgroups in a
single step.

There's not a way to do what he's asking. He's asking how to keep the two
computers in sync and there is no way to do that with different newsreader
instances, and different stores. The only way he could do it is if he could
configure his laptop to uase his desktop store location, but that would only
work if they had acess to each other - if even then. There's just no
solution to his problem since the record of what you've read is local to
your machine.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:33:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
In article om,
says...

"Mike M" wrote

"Max" wrote:

[...]

Not true. If you carried (or had accessible over the net, perhaps) your
newsrc file, you could keep any number if instances in sync.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04/16/2011 06:56 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:33:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
In raweb.com,
says...

"Mike wrote

"Max" wrote:

[...]

....and you could do that with dropbox among others.

https://www.dropbox.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 04/16/2011 06:56 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:33:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
In raweb.com,
says...

"Mike wrote

"Max" wrote:

[...]

Hmm. Very interesting.
Thanks.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

This is what I tried and it works:

Highlight the first message.
Holding the shift key, scroll down to the last message and highlight it.
Hit the delete key ON the keyboard.
Voila!! No messages.

Got that advice on another NG.
Thanks folks.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 04/16/2011 06:56 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not true. If you carried (or had accessible over the net, perhaps) your
newsrc file, you could keep any number if instances in sync.

...and you could do that with dropbox among others.

https://www.dropbox.com/

dropbox gives you a 2 Gig cloud sharing account.

Sugarsync offers a similar service. Their free account is 5 GB.

https://www.sugarsync.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
This is what I tried and it works:

Highlight the first message.
Holding the shift key, scroll down to the last message and highlight
it. Hit the delete key ON the keyboard.
Voila!! No messages.

Got that advice on another NG.
Thanks folks.

Max

Holy cow Max - not to seem rude, but you are just now discovering this?
Sorry - I for one, went way beyond this fundamental simply because it's been
around for decades - or nearly. I assumed you were asking something more
complex.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
says...

On 04/16/2011 06:56 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:33:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
In raweb.com,
says...

"Mike wrote

"Max" wrote:

[...]

Easy way to do it is to just rdesktop from one to the other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 11:33*pm, "Max" wrote:
This is what I tried and it works:
Got that advice on another NG.

Actually, Mike M. suggested it several posts ago.

And, considering the efforts made to come to your aid, the comment "
Got that advice on another NG." was hardly necessary or helpful.
Indeed it was rather rude. Especially given the suggestion by Mike M a
dozen posts back. Hurumpf!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 23:42:58 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
web.com...
On 04/16/2011 06:56 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not true. If you carried (or had accessible over the net, perhaps) your
newsrc file, you could keep any number if instances in sync.

...and you could do that with dropbox among others.

https://www.dropbox.com/

dropbox gives you a 2 Gig cloud sharing account.

Sugarsync offers a similar service. Their free account is 5 GB.

https://www.sugarsync.com/

How secure are these services? Would you store _your_ tax data there?

--
If only he'd wash his neck, I'd wring it.
-- John Sparrow

Posted to rec.woodworking

To delete them you select them in a group using the MS Windows technique,
same as any other software written correctly for Windows.

- To select one item...click on it
- To select multiple items hold down your control key and click on any item
you want selected
- To select a contiguous group of items select (see top method) the first or
last item then go to the other end of the list and hold down the shift key
while you click on the item at the other end.

After selecting one, random, or grouped items hit the delete key or right
click on your mouse and select delete off the pull-down menu.

----------------------

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...

How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Works just fine here.

----------------------

Don't work. :-(

--------------------
Most windows programs will let you select a range by clicking on one
item the hold down the shift key and select the other end of the
range. You can select individual items by holding down Ctrl. I don't
use Windows Live so I have no idea how it works. Still using Agent 2
and Thunderbird.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04/17/2011 07:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 23:42:58 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Doug wrote in message
eb.com...
On 04/16/2011 06:56 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not true. If you carried (or had accessible over the net, perhaps) your
newsrc file, you could keep any number if instances in sync.

...and you could do that with dropbox among others.

https://www.dropbox.com/

dropbox gives you a 2 Gig cloud sharing account.

Sugarsync offers a similar service. Their free account is 5 GB.

https://www.sugarsync.com/

How secure are these services? Would you store _your_ tax data there?

Hell no! I don't even like storing my tax data with the IRS.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m,
says...

On 04/17/2011 07:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 23:42:58 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Doug wrote in message
eb.com...
On 04/16/2011 06:56 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not true. If you carried (or had accessible over the net, perhaps) your
newsrc file, you could keep any number if instances in sync.

...and you could do that with dropbox among others.

https://www.dropbox.com/

dropbox gives you a 2 Gig cloud sharing account.

Sugarsync offers a similar service. Their free account is 5 GB.

https://www.sugarsync.com/

How secure are these services? Would you store _your_ tax data there?

Hell no! I don't even like storing my tax data with the IRS.

Encrypt it before you store it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Max wrote:
This is what I tried and it works:

Highlight the first message.
Holding the shift key, scroll down to the last message and highlight
it. Hit the delete key ON the keyboard.
Voila!! No messages.

Got that advice on another NG.
Thanks folks.

Max

Holy cow Max - not to seem rude, but you are just now discovering this?
Sorry - I for one, went way beyond this fundamental simply because it's
been around for decades - or nearly. I assumed you were asking something
more complex.

--

-Mike-

Perdoname por favor, amigo. or pardonnez-moi, bon ami.
But I have not the bits and bytes skills that most folks here have acquired.
Um............decades? How long has Windows Live Mail been around
................and why have I only begun using it with my last purchase of a
computer? Common sense doesn't always apply when you're using Microsoft.
(or so I've been told.)
I ass-u-me-d that the same methods that were operative in Outlook Express
would be applicable in Windows Live Mail.
Such is not the case. The "select all" and then the "delete" on the drop
down menu isn't the same in both. I so seldom use the delete *KEY* that It
just didn't occur to me that it would be a cure-all.

But I'm encouraged to keep asking questions here because of the responses.
Thanks,

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
On Apr 16, 11:33 pm, "Max" wrote:
This is what I tried and it works:
Got that advice on another NG.

Actually, Mike M. suggested it several posts ago.

And, considering the efforts made to come to your aid, the comment "
Got that advice on another NG." was hardly necessary or helpful.
Indeed it was rather rude. Especially given the suggestion by Mike M a
dozen posts back. Hurumpf!

Ack! I've commited a genuine faux pas.
It did come across as a bit disdainful...huh?
But I apologized to -MIKE-
I think I misunderstood him. I was thinking he meant to select all and
then *click* on delete (which doesn't appear on that particular menu)
You have to use the delete *KEY* on the keyboard.
But all's well that ends well and I appreciate all the comments and help.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:

Perdoname por favor, amigo. or pardonnez-moi, bon ami.
But I have not the bits and bytes skills that most folks here have
acquired. Um............decades? How long has Windows Live Mail been
around ...............and why have I only begun using it with my last
purchase of a computer? Common sense doesn't always apply when
you're using Microsoft. (or so I've been told.)
I ass-u-me-d that the same methods that were operative in Outlook
Express would be applicable in Windows Live Mail.
Such is not the case. The "select all" and then the "delete" on the
drop down menu isn't the same in both. I so seldom use the delete
*KEY* that It just didn't occur to me that it would be a cure-all.

But I'm encouraged to keep asking questions here because of the

I wasn't trying to put you on the spot Max, as much as I was trying to
excuse my own mistake of seeing your problem incorrectly.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...

How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

This is probably what you are looking for, similar to Outlook Express

Click on the Newsgroups icon, bottom left, so that your news group shows.
At the top of the window, click the Folders tab.
Click the Message Rules tab on the right.
You then get a window that is very similar if not exactly like the one that
Outlook Express has.

I just installed Windows Live Mail also and am having to learn the my way
around. I don't recall Outlook Express needing to be improved and yet here
we are. ;~(

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...

How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

This is probably what you are looking for, similar to Outlook Express

Click on the Newsgroups icon, bottom left, so that your news group shows.
At the top of the window, click the Folders tab.
Click the Message Rules tab on the right.
You then get a window that is very similar if not exactly like the one that
Outlook Express has.

I just installed Windows Live Mail also and am having to learn the my way
around. I don't recall Outlook Express needing to be improved and yet here
we are. ;~(

BTY I just set up a rule deleting anything over 30 days old, worked just
like Outlook Express. Remember that this is a manual task and you have to
select the particular news group you want the rule to apply to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

I just installed Windows Live Mail also and am having to learn the my way
around. I don't recall Outlook Express needing to be improved and yet
here we are. ;~(

It took me awhile to figure out how to killfile in MS's latest offering.
You right click on the offending message header, then go to Junk E-mail.
Click that and look at the menu. Click on Add To Blocked Senders List.

Thee is an obsession with hiding everything. I needed the paint program and
could not find it anywhere. I did a search for it and it popped up. What
is the logic behind hiding everything? Microsoft has a long term policy of
dumbing down every version of its software.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote in message
b.com...

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

I just installed Windows Live Mail also and am
having to learn the my way around. I don't
recall Outlook Express needing to be improved
and yet here we are. ;~(

It took me awhile to figure out how to killfile
in MS's latest offering. You right click on the
offending message header, then go to Junk
E-mail. Click that and look at the menu. Click
on Add To Blocked Senders List.

Thee is an obsession with hiding everything. I
needed the paint program and could not find it
anywhere. I did a search for it and it popped
up. What is the logic behind hiding everything?
Microsoft has a long term policy of dumbing down
every version of its software.

Yeah, they sure buried that dvorak keyboard layout
pretty deep!
Considering the advancement in technology why is
the
qwerty layout still in existence? Stupid if you
ask me.....
phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil Kangas wrote:

Yeah, they sure buried that dvorak keyboard layout
pretty deep!
Considering the advancement in technology why is
the
qwerty layout still in existence? Stupid if you
ask me.....

That's easy - because so many people are so used to QWERTY. It's not really
stupid at all - there was a very real reason for that layout originally.
Once it becomes the standard and so many people are so familiar with it,
it's only logical that it will take time to displace it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Max wrote:

I'm encouraged to keep asking questions here because of the

I wasn't trying to put you on the spot Max, as much as I was trying to
excuse my own mistake of seeing your problem incorrectly.

-Mike-

I appreciate all the input I can get. I'm a "babe in the woods" when it
comes to computers. ;-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote

"Max" wrote

How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

This is probably what you are looking for, similar to Outlook Express

Click on the Newsgroups icon, bottom left, so that your news group shows.
At the top of the window, click the Folders tab.
Click the Message Rules tab on the right.
You then get a window that is very similar if not exactly like the one
that Outlook Express has.

I just installed Windows Live Mail also and am having to learn the my way
around. I don't recall Outlook Express needing to be improved and yet
here we are. ;~(

Thanks, Leon.
The method that has proved to work well is:
"Select" the first message.
Holding the shift key down, scroll down and select the last message. All
messages will be highlighted.
press the delete *key*.
Voila!! All messages disappear. Miraculous!! LOL

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lee Michaels" wrote

It took me awhile to figure out how to killfile in MS's latest offering.
You right click on the offending message header, then go to Junk E-mail.
Click that and look at the menu. Click on Add To Blocked Senders List.

Thee is an obsession with hiding everything. I needed the paint program
and could not find it anywhere. I did a search for it and it popped up.
What is the logic behind hiding everything? Microsoft has a long term
policy of dumbing down every version of its software.

Just as it is in any bureaucracy the software writers at MS feel a need to
justify their existence so they make changes whether they're needed or not.
;-)

Max