Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT- Windows Live Mail

"Max" wrote
"Lee Michaels" wrote

It took me awhile to figure out how to killfile in MS's latest offering.
You right click on the offending message header, then go to Junk E-mail.
Click that and look at the menu. Click on Add To Blocked Senders List.

Thee is an obsession with hiding everything. I needed the paint program
and could not find it anywhere. I did a search for it and it popped up.
What is the logic behind hiding everything? Microsoft has a long term
policy of dumbing down every version of its software.

Just as it is in any bureaucracy the software writers at MS feel a need to
justify their existence so they make changes whether they're needed or
not. ;-)
----

It has always been my theory that software geeks are socially maladjusted
individuals who can't get laid. So they write this nightmarish software to
make normal people's lives a living hell. As a geek revenge thing.

The killfile thing I mention above came about not because I figured it out
from a killfile or newsgroup perspective. I kept getting e-mails with SPAM
in the header. And often they were from friends. I even got the SPAM
designation from e-mails I sent to myself from another computer. It was
disconcerting to get important e-mail with the SPAM designation.
Particularly if I archived them.

When I came across that Junk E-mail thing, it all made sense. I looked up
kilfiles, etc in help. Nothing. Apparently nobody at MS knows about or
acknowledges the existence of killfiles. It probably would cut into sales of
Bing advertising. I found it as a side note in a forum messages somewhere.
The message was referring to the difference between Vista and Windows7 for
killfiling. Nothing on the subject was available from Microsoft.

The same with the paint program. There was no menu choice. It pops up if
you search for it. There are a number of programs I can't get to in W7. So
I attach them to the task bar. There are a number of functions that I can't
access in the menus. I was able to find them and add the function as an
icon someplace.

This whole idea that you have hidden function is absurd. Why should you
hide functions in the program? What purpose does it serve? It just ****es
people off. I read someplace that some poor little whiners were upset that
the operating system was "too complicated". No MS brags about that many
functions are hidden. The make it sound like a good thing. If it is so
good, why don't they mention it in the help files? Or make it easier to find
the hidden functions? Why can't I find it our from MS themselves?

I know that I am a dinosaur. I remember manuals. Remember those books that
came with the software. I not only read those things, but I bought
additional manuals. Often much better than the MS manuals. There I go
showing my age again. I actually can and do READ!

hanging my head in shame

/end of rant

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lee Michaels" wrote

[...]

I'm with you. I recently bought a smart phone. Instructions, such as they
are, are available.......online............... or by purchase........through
an 800 number. WTF?

Max.......mumbling.......

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote
in message
Phil Kangas wrote:

Yeah, they sure buried that dvorak keyboard
layout
pretty deep!
Considering the advancement in technology why
is
the
qwerty layout still in existence? Stupid if you
ask me.....

That's easy - because so many people are so used
to QWERTY. It's not really stupid at all -
there was a very real reason for that layout
originally. Once it becomes the standard and so
many people are so familiar with it, it's only
logical that it will take time to displace it.

--

-Mike-

The qwerty layout was intended to slow down the
fast typists
because the keys would jam up. And that layout
also aggravates
carpal tunnel syndrome, that's why I switched. The
dvorak
layout is a quantum leap forward in ease of use,
speed
and accuracy.
phil k.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You could probably get user manuals on a DVD in a 5,280 page format covering
some of the basics.

MS looking for manual writers with systems over 32GB of RAM memory to manage
the next generation of manuals.

Yeah, I hate it too but feeling old is natural at your age. Nobody wants to
use the laptop after a 2 hour **** session on the toilet where most of the
learning is done.

LOL

------------------

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
b.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:

I'm with you. I recently bought a smart phone. Instructions, such as
they are, are available.......online............... or by
purchase........through an 800 number. WTF?

Max.......mumbling.......

Huh??? Never heard of such a thing Max. Purchasing instructions via an 800
number? Maybe a 900 number, but that's a completely different thing...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Josepi wrote:
You could probably get user manuals on a DVD in a 5,280 page format
covering some of the basics.

MS looking for manual writers with systems over 32GB of RAM memory to
manage the next generation of manuals.

Yeah, I hate it too but feeling old is natural at your age. Nobody
wants to use the laptop after a 2 hour **** session on the toilet
where most of the learning is done.

Not only are you an idiot, but you're - well... an idiot.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil Kangas wrote:

The qwerty layout was intended to slow down the
fast typists
because the keys would jam up.

Not to slow down the typist, but to help the typewriter keep up with the
fast typists.

And that layout
also aggravates
carpal tunnel syndrome, that's why I switched. The
dvorak
layout is a quantum leap forward in ease of use,
speed
and accuracy.

Carpal tunnel is more about the angle of your wrists than the style of the
keyboard.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 1:20*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Max wrote:

I'm with you. I recently bought a smart phone. *Instructions, such as
they are, are available.......online............... or by
purchase........through an 800 number. *WTF?

Max.......mumbling.......

Huh??? Never heard of such a thing Max. *Purchasing instructions via an 800
number? *Maybe a 900 number, but that's a completely different thing...

--

-Mike-

That Brandi girl at the 900 number knows absolutely nothing about
software, she keeps trying to change the subject....
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote
in message
Phil Kangas wrote:

The qwerty layout was intended to slow down the
fast typists
because the keys would jam up.

Not to slow down the typist, but to help the
typewriter keep up with the fast typists.

And that layout
also aggravates
carpal tunnel syndrome, that's why I switched.
The
dvorak
layout is a quantum leap forward in ease of
use,
speed
and accuracy.

Carpal tunnel is more about the angle of your
wrists than the style of the keyboard.

--

-Mike-

Awl riight..... here you go:
http://dvorak-keyboards.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 01:40:04 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Josepi wrote:
You could probably get user manuals on a DVD in a 5,280 page format
covering some of the basics.

MS looking for manual writers with systems over 32GB of RAM memory to
manage the next generation of manuals.

Yeah, I hate it too but feeling old is natural at your age. Nobody
wants to use the laptop after a 2 hour **** session on the toilet
where most of the learning is done.

Not only are you an idiot, but you're - well... an idiot.

Never argue with an idiot, yadda yadda. Filter him, man!
Stop giving the morons airtime, guys.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:33:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Phil Kangas wrote:

The qwerty layout was intended to slow down the
fast typists
because the keys would jam up.

Not to slow down the typist, but to help the typewriter keep up with the
fast typists.

It was developed to speed typing by putting the adjacent characters in
most common words to alternate hands while typing, I believe. (see
"letter pair frequency" wiki)

And that layout
also aggravates
carpal tunnel syndrome, that's why I switched. The
dvorak
layout is a quantum leap forward in ease of use,
speed
and accuracy.

Carpal tunnel is more about the angle of your wrists than the style of the
keyboard.

Mice increase that wrong angle and carpal nerve scraping. I switched
to a Logitech Trackman portable and found that my beginnings of CTS
disappeared. Why they didn't put the feet under the keyboard on the
-front- instead of the back, I'll never know. With them up, the
stresses are even worse.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Apr 19, 1:20 am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Max wrote:

I'm with you. I recently bought a smart phone. Instructions, such as
they are, are available.......online............... or by
purchase........through an 800 number. WTF?

Max.......mumbling.......

Huh??? Never heard of such a thing Max. Purchasing instructions via an 800
number? Maybe a 900 number, but that's a completely different thing...

--

-Mike-

That Brandi girl at the 900 number knows absolutely nothing about
software, she keeps trying to change the subject....

LOL.
I'm just too cheap to try dialing 900.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Phil Kangas wrote:

[...]

The keyboard that most now use was designed in
1873 when the average typist could type faster
than the early mechanical typewriters could
reliably respond. As a result, the typewriter
keyboard was deliberately designed for the machine's
benefit, to reduce jams. The majority of the keys
were simply designed by chance, according to the
needs of the machine. Unfortunately, the people
using the machines were not considered, resulting
in a very inefficient and tiring keyboard. In
1873, the science of ergonomics and time motion
study was still several years into the future.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...

How do you delete NG messages in Windows Live Mail?
(other than one at a time)

Thanks,
Max

And, in Live Mail, looking at the messages in the news groups I am finding
that if I sort the messages other than by the "Sent" column you cannot open
the original thread to see all the posts below it. Any one else see this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:52:06 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:20Â*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Max wrote:

I'm with you. I recently bought a smart phone. Â*Instructions, such as
they are, are available.......online............... or by
purchase........through an 800 number. Â*WTF?

Max.......mumbling.......

Huh??? Never heard of such a thing Max. Â*Purchasing instructions via an 800
number? Â*Maybe a 900 number, but that's a completely different thing...

--

-Mike-

That Brandi girl at the 900 number knows absolutely nothing about
software, she keeps trying to change the subject....

Shall I say "Give me your CNC machine or I'm tellin' Angela?"

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.woodworking

MS wants people to top-post as a more reasonable method to keep the
attribution lines with the text, so people can actually understand who wrote
what, without special readers that make a complete mess and argument
confusion. This is the way of the future and MS knows it and many times sets
it.

You may notice how nicely the text flows here, how easy it is to tell who
wrote it and how any comments referenced may be read like any formal
business document would.

The other important point is how polite top-posting people are compared to
other method users.

Have a nice day!

-----------
"Morgans" wrote in message ...
I was formerly an OE user for newsgroups, and despite people saying what a
pile of crap outlook was, I liked it. It did everything I wanted, and
easily.

Now, stuck with live mail, it seems.
The things I can't get used to is the lack of marking lines of previous
messages with a "", but most of all I miss the "next unread message"
selection.

Is that available somewhere that I have not yet discovered?

-- Jim in NC

-------------
"Max" wrote
I ass-u-me-d that the same methods that were operative in Outlook Express
would be applicable in Windows Live Mail.
Such is not the case. The "select all" and then the "delete" on the drop
down menu isn't the same in both. I so seldom use the delete *KEY* that It
just didn't occur to me that it would be a cure-all.

But I'm encouraged to keep asking questions here because of the responses.
Thanks,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Highlight a message.
Hit control A (that will highlight all)
Hit control Q (that will set them to "all read")

Ed