Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT- Windows Live Mail

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:33:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Phil Kangas wrote:

The qwerty layout was intended to slow down the
fast typists
because the keys would jam up.

Not to slow down the typist, but to help the typewriter keep up with the
fast typists.

It was developed to speed typing by putting the adjacent characters in
most common words to alternate hands while typing, I believe. (see
"letter pair frequency" wiki)

And that layout
also aggravates
carpal tunnel syndrome, that's why I switched. The
dvorak
layout is a quantum leap forward in ease of use,
speed
and accuracy.

Carpal tunnel is more about the angle of your wrists than the style of the
keyboard.

Mice increase that wrong angle and carpal nerve scraping. I switched
to a Logitech Trackman portable and found that my beginnings of CTS
disappeared. Why they didn't put the feet under the keyboard on the
-front- instead of the back, I'll never know. With them up, the
stresses are even worse.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson