Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Windows live mail

Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Jim S wrote
Cash wrote
Muddymike wrote

I have just started using windows live mail after many years of
using Outlook express for email and newsgroups and am stuck!

Can anyone tell me how to get it to insert the symbols before
the old text in my replies?

Apparently you can't Mike. There was a fair bit of discussion on
this in the Windows 7 groups when Windows 7 first came out for
general use.

This was one of the reasons I ditched Windows 7 and reverted back
to XP (and Outlook Express 6).

You could use Thunderbird

As I said Jim, it was one of the reasons - there were a few other
things that I disliked with Windows 7 anyway.

As for Thunderbird, I tried that a few years ago when I went back
to the local college for four years to learn how to play with and
repair computers (I got bored with retirement) - but I preferred
the way that Outlook Express did things and went back to it.

Thunderbird has moved on a bit since then I guess, but in any case
it does not make a good newsreader, but then neither did OE.
There are far better newsreaders around. I use 40tude Dialog and
Xnews, but admit that neither of them is 'easy'. I would suggest
Microplanet Gravity. Agent is good too, but not free.

Agent has got a ****ed UI which sees too many asking how to do stuff.

If it had a more intuitive UI they wouldnt be doing that.

The other thing I insist on is the same UI for email and usenet.

And a decent fast search in old email because I do search in old email quite
a bit, mostly for stuff I have bought online but also for old conversations with
people when they ask again about something previously discussed etc.

That last is why I like groups.google for archived usenet. Dont
like the UI much tho but tolerate it because thats all there is.