Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows live mail

Timothy Murphy wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but now with usenet fading so dramatically,
it can make sense to cross post now.

People are always saying that usenet is dying,

And its easy to use groups.google and see that most of them are.

Some are pretty close to dead now.

but the number of postings in the dozen or so newsgroups
I look at, eg this one, seems if anything to be increasing.

One oddity is that at one time there were very few british posters in usenet.

Maybe you lot are seeing a delayed effect for some reason.

Personally, I find Forums (Fora?) an absolute pain to read.

I wouldnt got quite that far, but yes, I much prefer usenet myself.

They always look as though they are very busy because
they give the number of postings since the beginning of time,
but actually none of those I look at seem to get more than
a handful of postings each day.

Our most active does a lot better than that.

And they seem to have an annoying habit of splitting
into sub-forums, rather like left-wing parties.

I dont like the jack booted goons so common in forums.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , News
writes
In message , Martin
writes
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:31:42 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

Does Thunderbird have that facility, does anyone know? Or Agent, or
...?

Agent threads properly.

Thank you Martin and Ian for the extremely useful comments. Have
downloaded Thunderbird, and will see how I get on.

Just a final comment or two....

You'll need to 'play with the knobs' a bit in order to get the best out
of it. If you find something that TP does and TB doesn't, TB probably
actually does do it (or a good approximation to it), if you know where
to tell it.

I found setting the fonts confusing and unpredictable - but eventually,
by trial and error, I got things more or less as I liked.

There is no option given for manually deleting newsgroup postings - but
there is an easy fix:
http://ilias.ca/blog/2011/07/deletin...-messages-in-t
hunderbird/

If you ever want to totally uninstall TB, note that the database records
are NOT removed. You need to do this manually (just delete). It's in the
instructions (somewhere), or here (item 5).
http://www.ehow.com/how_4968150_uninstall-mozilla-thunderbird.html
If you don't delete those records, and re-install any version of TB at
some time in the future, it will install fully configured using the
information it already has (which may not be what you want it to do).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote
Timothy Murphy wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but now with usenet fading so dramatically,
it can make sense to cross post now.

People are always saying that usenet is dying,

And its easy to use groups.google and see that most of them are.

Some are pretty close to dead now.

but the number of postings in the dozen or so newsgroups
I look at, eg this one, seems if anything to be increasing.

This particular group has in fact dropped significantly from the
peak in 2004 of 115K to less than half that in 2010, 49.9K tho
it was certainly half that again in 1999, only 27K.

uk.rec.gardening has slumped even more spectacularly.

I didnt bother with any of the other groups you post in, its a bit slow
and manual to get the data and I cant be bothered automating it.

One oddity is that at one time there were very few british posters in usenet.

Maybe you lot are seeing a delayed effect for some reason.

Personally, I find Forums (Fora?) an absolute pain to read.

I wouldnt got quite that far, but yes, I much prefer usenet myself.

They always look as though they are very busy because
they give the number of postings since the beginning of time,
but actually none of those I look at seem to get more than
a handful of postings each day.

Our most active does a lot better than that.

And they seem to have an annoying habit of splitting
into sub-forums, rather like left-wing parties.

I dont like the jack booted goons so common in forums.

OT - Windows Live Mail hijack? David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 0 January 30th 12 12:40 PM
OT - Windows Live mail Max Woodworking 27 December 26th 11 02:26 PM
O.T. Windows Live Mail Iain UK diy 10 November 17th 11 06:18 PM
OT- Windows Live Mail Max Woodworking 57 April 26th 11 12:33 AM
test from windows live mail George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 3 June 24th 08 05:50 AM