Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Windows live mail

Rod Speed wrote
Timothy Murphy wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but now with usenet fading so dramatically,
it can make sense to cross post now.

People are always saying that usenet is dying,

And its easy to use groups.google and see that most of them are.

Some are pretty close to dead now.

but the number of postings in the dozen or so newsgroups
I look at, eg this one, seems if anything to be increasing.

This particular group has in fact dropped significantly from the
peak in 2004 of 115K to less than half that in 2010, 49.9K tho
it was certainly half that again in 1999, only 27K.

uk.rec.gardening has slumped even more spectacularly.

I didnt bother with any of the other groups you post in, its a bit slow
and manual to get the data and I cant be bothered automating it.

One oddity is that at one time there were very few british posters in usenet.

Maybe you lot are seeing a delayed effect for some reason.

Personally, I find Forums (Fora?) an absolute pain to read.

I wouldnt got quite that far, but yes, I much prefer usenet myself.

They always look as though they are very busy because
they give the number of postings since the beginning of time,
but actually none of those I look at seem to get more than
a handful of postings each day.

Our most active does a lot better than that.

And they seem to have an annoying habit of splitting
into sub-forums, rather like left-wing parties.

I dont like the jack booted goons so common in forums.