Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Apprentices must really like bollockings

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:34:03 +0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:
Front seat passenger - driver's responsibility. Rear seat (adult)
passenger - passenger's responsibility.

It's different if the passenger is a child for obvious reasons.

What if they're a child for non-obvious reasons, which perhaps applies to
most apprentices?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sam Plusnet" wrote in message

Look again at the "Who is responsible" column.

In every case it is the driver who is responsible.
The one exception is for an adult rear seat passenger - there the
passenger is responsible.

I don't know whether to be saddened, astonished or intrigued by the lack of
reading ability in this group. Is it down to poor education or is there a
far higher incidence of dyslexia amongst DIYers on usenet? I strongly
suspect the latter. It may well be that dyslexia and "being good with your
hands" go "hand-in-hand" so to speak. Nerdy types who hang out here may
also be more inclined to be dyslexic (myself included). ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:06:40 -0700, harry wrote:

On Mar 12, 8:20Â*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

charles wrote:
In article ,
Â* ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't
make me"

Enough said.

Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat
passenger - those in the back seats are responsible for
themselves.

That is complete rubbish.

It's also the law.

see Â*http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Road_Tr...Law/Seat_Belts

Front seat passenger - driver's responsibility. Rear seat (adult)
passenger - passenger's responsibility.

It's different if the passenger is a child for obvious reasons.

You have just posted a link that contradicts your statement. Anyone
over 14 is responsible for wearing their own seat belt. It does not
matter if they are sat in the front or back seats.

Look again at the "Who is responsible" column.

In every case it is the driver who is responsible. The one exception
is for an adult rear seat passenger - there the passenger is
responsible.

You are either a thick **** or you suffer from dyslexia (and that is
not an easy word to spell).

No Adam he's right, that's how it reads.

No, it doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 9:06*am, harry wrote:
On Mar 12, 8:20*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

charles wrote:

see *http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Road_Tr...Law/Seat_Belts

Front seat passenger - driver's responsibility.
Rear seat (adult) passenger - passenger's responsibility.

It's different if the passenger is a child for obvious reasons.

You have just posted a link that contradicts your statement. Anyone
over 14 is responsible for wearing their own seat belt. It does not
matter if they are sat in the front or back seats.

Look again at the "Who is responsible" column.

In every case it is the driver who is responsible.
The one exception is for an adult rear seat passenger - there the
passenger is responsible.

You are either a thick **** or you suffer from dyslexia (and that is not an
easy word to spell).

No Adam he's right, that's how it reads.

You are The Natural Phuckwit AICMFP.

MNBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Mar 12, 8:20 pm, "ARWadsworth"

Snip seatbelt rules discussion
You are either a thick **** or you suffer from dyslexia (and that is not an
easy word to spell).

No Adam he's right, that's how it reads.

The driver is responsible for ensuring that all persons *under* 14 years
of age in the vehicle are wearing their seatbelt. All persons aged *14
and over* are responsible for ensuring that they wear a seatbelt where
one is fitted, no matter whether they are in the front or rear of the
vehicle.

The table linked to is clear and correct, as is the printed version of
the highway code.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 7:34*pm, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

charles wrote:
In article ,
* ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat passenger -
those in the back seats are responsible for themselves.

That is complete rubbish.

It's also the law.

see *http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Road_Tr...Law/Seat_Belts

Front seat passenger - driver's responsibility.
Rear seat (adult) passenger - passenger's responsibility.

It's different if the passenger is a child for obvious reasons.

When you say child is that the physical age or a mental one ;-)

--
Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2012 13:26, Tim Downie wrote:

I don't know whether to be saddened, astonished or intrigued by the lack
of reading ability in this group. Is it down to poor education or is
there a far higher incidence of dyslexia amongst DIYers on usenet? I
strongly suspect the latter. It may well be that dyslexia and "being
good with your hands" go "hand-in-hand" so to speak. Nerdy types who
hang out here may also be more inclined to be dyslexic (myself
included). ;-)

I waht you maen konw

--
C Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2012 13:30, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Mar 13, 9:06 am, wrote:
On Mar 12, 8:20 pm,
wrote:

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In ,
says...

charles wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

I think Adam's apprentice was correct. Looking at the on-line Highway
Code, rule 99
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069855

it does state that if the front passenger is aged 14 and over, then the
passenger is responsible.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 11:23*am, The Other Mike
wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:35:16 -0000, "ARWadsworth"

wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Obviously you must be a really smooth driver. Make a few panic stops
at random and rearrange his face on the screen, maybe post the video
to Youtube

Yes and file it under education as in this is what happens.
I too find that sometimes people need 'educating' without the need
for words or multple choice questions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

I think Adam's apprentice was correct. Looking at the on-line Highway
Code, rule 99
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069855

it does state that if the front passenger is aged 14 and over, then
the passenger is responsible.

Well of course everyone who is *right* has worked this out already. ;-)

Of course being right in law doesn't make it right in a place of work or the
right kind of attitude for an apprentice. I'd tell him to walk. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
David wrote:

I think Adam's apprentice was correct. Looking at the on-line Highway
Code, rule 99
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069855

it does state that if the front passenger is aged 14 and over, then
the passenger is responsible.

Well of course everyone who is *right* has worked this out already. ;-)

Of course being right in law doesn't make it right in a place of work or
the right kind of attitude for an apprentice. I'd tell him to walk. ;-)

Apart from the RTA, the Safety Elves might have words if there were to
be a problem, and the driver hadn't refused to move until the belt was
fastened.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2012 13:56, David wrote:

I think Adam's apprentice was correct. Looking at the on-line Highway
Code, rule 99
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069855

it does state that if the front passenger is aged 14 and over, then the
passenger is responsible.

He's correct in that regard, yes, we all agree about that. However the
apprentice wasn't right about Adam not being able to make him - Adam's
perfectly at liberty to insist that his passengers belt up, and if they
don't to make them get out and walk/lose their job/whatever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Obviously you must be a really smooth driver. Make a few panic stops at
random and rearrange his face on the screen, maybe post the video to
Youtube

My brother started off once, while I was still putting my seatbelt on.
He'd got to about 10mph, and had to really slam the anchors on for some
reason. Because I was looking down, and unprepared I went straight into
the screen, and had a wonderful duck egg for weeks. I was amazed at how
much force was involved. If it had happened at 30, I'm sure I would have
gone through the screen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ARWadsworth
adamwadsworth@ blueyonder.co.uk escribió:

You are either a thick **** or you suffer from dyslexia (and that
is not an easy word to spell).

Careful now. You'll have another one running to his mummy.

Today is a typical example of why I can kick off at work.

I am working in a new build and the first thing this morning the apprentice
was asked to fetch everything of ours downstairs, put the rubbish by the
door and the cables etc in the downstairs WC.

He said that he had finished and I asked if I went upstairs would I find any
of our kit. He replied "well there's some rolls of cables and stuff". Then
asked him to repeat back to me what I had asked him to do. He WAS able to
repeat to me what I had asked him to do, so he could not use the "I forgot"
answer.

I asked him if he understood what I asked him to do and he replied "Yes". I
then asked him why was it not done and I got the reply "I don't know".

When you have that 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (sometimes with two of them)
you do eventually lose your temper. He did not get a bollocking for not
moving the kit. He did get a bollocking later on for answering back for the
second time in one day.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 12/03/2012 18:35, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

"Its you that gets to walk home if you don't" seems fitting ;-)

One of them once did walk home. He threw an empty coke can out the van
window. I pulled up and told him to go and pick it up. When he got out the
van I drove off.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-03-12, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Really? If he'd said that to me, I'd have sacked him.

Not always my choice ATM:-(

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Mar 12, 7:53 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
It has happened more than once at work. This time the apprentice
was not "my apprentice". They seem to think that vans do not have
seatbelt laws or windscreens to smash their face in.

About 50% of apprentices seem to think that they do not need to wear
seatbelts.

If it's a work vehicle then presumably you're responsible for
enforcing a safe system of work, and they could sue you if they did go
through the windscreen and you'd let them travel without the seatbelt?

You seem to have made a mistake:-)

I just don't want pulling over by plod because he has no seatbelt on.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-03-13, Clive George wrote:

On 13/03/2012 13:56, David wrote:

I think Adam's apprentice was correct. Looking at the on-line Highway
Code, rule 99
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069855

it does state that if the front passenger is aged 14 and over, then the
passenger is responsible.

He's correct in that regard, yes, we all agree about that. However the
apprentice wasn't right about Adam not being able to make him - Adam's
perfectly at liberty to insist that his passengers belt up, and if they
don't to make them get out and walk/lose their job/whatever.

I agree with the other Adam for another reason (as practised & taught
by my parents): my own safety. In a collision, an unbuckled passenger
bouncing around in my car is a hazard to me & the other passengers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2012 13:26, Tim Downie wrote:

"Sam Plusnet" wrote in message

Look again at the "Who is responsible" column.

In every case it is the driver who is responsible.
The one exception is for an adult rear seat passenger - there the
passenger is responsible.

I don't know whether to be saddened, astonished or intrigued by the lack
of reading ability in this group. Is it down to poor education or is
there a far higher incidence of dyslexia amongst DIYers on usenet? I

Speaking as a dyslexic, I had no difficulty interpreting the table... so
I think it must be just good old fashioned dumbness ;-)

strongly suspect the latter. It may well be that dyslexia and "being
good with your hands" go "hand-in-hand" so to speak. Nerdy types who
hang out here may also be more inclined to be dyslexic (myself
included). ;-)

Yeah but, you read it ok as well!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

I don't GAS what the HC says. If you ride in my car, you wear a seatbelt. I
don't want to have to hose your brains off the upholstery.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, merely arguing who is
technically responsible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-03-13, Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

It looks like only I and Andy Burns can read then.

I haven't bothered reading it, but it was always my understanding
the driver is responsible for kids and adults for themselves.

I don't GAS what the HC says. If you ride in my car, you wear a
seatbelt. I don't want to have to hose your brains off the upholstery.

Of course, Adam's van may not belong to him.

It is my van. Official work policy is let them get a £60 fine if you want to
UNLESS the tyres on the van are a bit worn then, they must wear a belt.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-03-13, Tim wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

It looks like only I and Andy Burns can read then.

I haven't bothered reading it, but it was always my understanding
the driver is responsible for kids and adults for themselves.

I don't GAS what the HC says. If you ride in my car, you wear a
seatbelt. I don't want to have to hose your brains off the upholstery.

Of course, Adam's van may not belong to him.

It is my van. Official work policy is let them get a £60 fine if you want to
UNLESS the tyres on the van are a bit worn then, they must wear a belt.

I think my policy would be belt up or walk. I'd hate the idea of an
apprentice of any shape or size rattling around in my van after some
impact. You have a duty towards your own safety.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 7:04 PM, ARWadsworth wrote:
charles wrote:
In ,
wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat passenger -
those in the back seats are responsible for themselves.

That is complete rubbish.

Anyone travelling in the vehicle aged 14 years and above is responsible
for wearing their seat belt.

Assume your apprentice is over 14 :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

It looks like only I and Andy Burns can read then.

I haven't bothered reading it, but it was always my understanding the
driver is responsible for kids and adults for themselves.

I did not recall 14 being the cut off age - I would have assumed 16,
but near enough...

16 is the minimum age limit where the female passenger can be shagged in
both the front and back seat.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message

My brother started off once, while I was still putting my seatbelt on.
He'd got to about 10mph, and had to really slam the anchors on for some
reason. Because I was looking down, and unprepared I went straight into
the screen, and had a wonderful duck egg for weeks. I was amazed at how
much force was involved. If it had happened at 30, I'm sure I would have
gone through the screen.

Just think what would happen if the air bag went off, you would be dead now.
Air bags make it safer *if* you are seated correctly and kill you if you are
leaning down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message

My brother started off once, while I was still putting my seatbelt
on. He'd got to about 10mph, and had to really slam the anchors on
for some reason. Because I was looking down, and unprepared I went
straight into the screen, and had a wonderful duck egg for weeks. I
was amazed at how much force was involved. If it had happened at
30, I'm sure I would have gone through the screen.

Just think what would happen if the air bag went off, you would be
dead now. Air bags make it safer *if* you are seated correctly and
kill you if you are leaning down.

Is everything black and white in dennisworld?

"would be dead" and (with a suggestion of the word will) "kill you". You
make it sound like a fact. Of course an airbag can injure or kill you if you
are not correctly restrained but you make it sound like a fact that you will
die.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Obviously you must be a really smooth driver. Make a few panic stops
at random and rearrange his face on the screen, maybe post the video
to Youtube

I never even set off. The temptation to set off and then slam the anchors on
was there. I could do with a new windscreen as this one has done 100000
miles and is looking a little tired.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Obviously you must be a really smooth driver. Make a few panic stops
at random and rearrange his face on the screen, maybe post the video
to Youtube

I never even set off. The temptation to set off and then slam the anchors on
was there. I could do with a new windscreen as this one has done 100000
miles and is looking a little tired.

Yebbut think of all the blood and guts you'd have to clear up from the
dashboard, floor et. al.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Jethro wrote

My brother started off once, while I was still putting my seatbelt
on. He'd got to about 10mph, and had to really slam the anchors on for some reason. Because I was looking down, and
unprepared I went straight into the screen, and had a wonderful duck egg for weeks. I was amazed at how much force
was involved. If it had happened at 30, I'm sure I would have gone through the screen.

Just think what would happen if the air bag went off, you would be dead now. Air bags make it safer *if* you are
seated correctly and kill you if you are leaning down.

He said looking down, not leaning down.

You dont die if you are looking down and the bag goes off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
dennis@home wrote
Jethro wrote

My brother started off once, while I was still putting my seatbelt
on. He'd got to about 10mph, and had to really slam the anchors
on for some reason. Because I was looking down, and unprepared I
went straight into the screen, and had a wonderful duck egg for
weeks. I was amazed at how much force was involved. If it had
happened at 30, I'm sure I would have gone through the screen.

Just think what would happen if the air bag went off, you would be
dead now. Air bags make it safer *if* you are seated correctly and
kill you if you are leaning down.

He said looking down, not leaning down.

You dont die if you are looking down and the bag goes off.

According to dennis you should die for doing 31mph in a 30mph speed limit
area.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Obviously you must be a really smooth driver. Make a few panic stops
at random and rearrange his face on the screen, maybe post the video
to Youtube

I never even set off. The temptation to set off and then slam the anchors on
was there. I could do with a new windscreen as this one has done 100000
miles and is looking a little tired.

Yebbut think of all the blood and guts you'd have to clear up from the
dashboard, floor et. al.

Could get a second apprentice to do the cleanup... should be a sobering
lesson ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dennis@home wrote
Jethro wrote

My brother started off once, while I was still putting my seatbelt
on. He'd got to about 10mph, and had to really slam the anchors
on for some reason. Because I was looking down, and unprepared I went straight into the screen, and had a wonderful
duck egg for
weeks. I was amazed at how much force was involved. If it had
happened at 30, I'm sure I would have gone through the screen.

Just think what would happen if the air bag went off, you would be
dead now. Air bags make it safer *if* you are seated correctly and
kill you if you are leaning down.

He said looking down, not leaning down.

You dont die if you are looking down and the bag goes off.

According to dennis you should die for doing 31mph in a 30mph speed limit area.

Just as well he cant see me tearing around the garage/yard sales
at 7am when there arent likely to be too many cops around.

He'd likely burst a blood vessel or sumfin.

We now have a stupid 50Kmh limit and I never
observe that unless there is a cop car behind me etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't
make me" Enough said.

Obviously you must be a really smooth driver. Make a few panic
stops at random and rearrange his face on the screen, maybe
post the video to Youtube

I never even set off. The temptation to set off and then slam the
anchors on was there. I could do with a new windscreen as this
one has done 100000 miles and is looking a little tired.

Yebbut think of all the blood and guts you'd have to clear up from
the dashboard, floor et. al.

Could get a second apprentice to do the cleanup... should be a
sobering lesson ;-)

And if they do not clean it up properly can I give tham a bollocking:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk escribió:

I never even set off. The temptation to set off and then slam the anchors on
was there. I could do with a new windscreen as this one has done 100000
miles and is looking a little tired.

Oh, but you should leave the old one in place complete with dried blood
and grey matter, pour encourager les autres.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Jethro" wrote in message

My brother started off once, while I was still putting my seatbelt on.
He'd got to about 10mph, and had to really slam the anchors on for some
reason. Because I was looking down, and unprepared I went straight into
the screen, and had a wonderful duck egg for weeks. I was amazed at how
much force was involved. If it had happened at 30, I'm sure I would have
gone through the screen.

Just think what would happen if the air bag went off, you would be dead now.
Air bags make it safer *if* you are seated correctly and kill you if
you are leaning down.

Air bags were first tried out as an alternative to seat belts - and were
abandoned as dangerous to the point of being lethal. However later it
was realised that they did work well in conjunction with seat belts. So
the worst thing you can do is ride in a car with airbags without wearing
the seat belt. You're a statistic waiting to happen.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

hugh wrote
dennis@home wrote
Jethro wrote

[...]

Not really. Modern air bags do work a lot better than
nothing most of the time even if you dont wear a seatbelt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
hugh wrote
dennis@home wrote
Jethro wrote

[...]

Either way you're probably dead in a shunt of any significance.
--
hugh