Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q self checkout machines

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:32:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Why? Do you have to pay for parking?

Not at most supermarkets. But plenty places do charge for parking

In SW London, certainly. In SE England, most of the time.

But that's less likely to be the case in many other regions of the UK,
and that's why the two of you have different opinions.

I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mark wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Not when I am going to the supermarket.

If you have to take the small change out of the car before going to a
supermarket, I'd move to a less pikey area.

I have a feeling the reason for his answer is different to what you
think it might be. Think less about what's being taking in the car, and
more about how he's getting there in the first place.

'Course I could be wrong, but it's our answer to the same question.

If you're going to carry the shopping home wouldn't a basket make more
sense?

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Not when I am going to the supermarket.

If you have to take the small change out of the car before going to a
supermarket, I'd move to a less pikey area.

I have a feeling the reason for his answer is different to what you
think it might be. Think less about what's being taking in the car, and
more about how he's getting there in the first place.

'Course I could be wrong, but it's our answer to the same question.

If you're going to carry the shopping home wouldn't a basket make more
sense?

I've done trolley-loads of shopping by both bike and foot. The latter can be
a bit like hard work, but a trailer makes the former really quite easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:34:58 +0000, Derek Geldard wrote:
I think it's all called "progress" usually.

Now I'm sad.

Sorry! On the bright side, if you're good at fixing stuff then
there's a wealth of older things out there that can be kept going almost
indefinitely, with it often being possible to just make replacement parts
if they don't exist anywhere already as spares.

It's only in the last few decades (around the time that quality really
started falling off) that things started getting really over-complicated
or miniaturised to the point that the DIYer can't always sort them out
when they fail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:57:49 +0000, Mark wrote:
I haven't been to morrisons since they introduced the trolleys that
you have to put a £1 in to use. I had no cash with me at the time and
the staff refused to help.

Urgh.

That always bugs me at international airports - if coming from overseas
it's rare to have foreign currency on hand in small coins, yet lots of
airports charge for the baggage trolleys these days

Hmm, regarding morrisons, I assume the baskets aren't subject to a similar
system? Chain a few together and drag 'em around the store with you to
make a point...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:20:52 +0000, Pete Verdon wrote:

So there's clearly a need for "one-shot" tags that are neutralised when
the goods are sold. These exist at present in the form of tags with
their aerials in perforated "wings" that get snapped off

And doesn't stop people snapping off the wings before they have been
through the checkout...

If they developed a tag that could be zapped via the RF side it
wouldn't be long before a little pocket box appeared that did the
same thing...

Doubtless true, but getting hold of such a box is mildly more difficult
than the current approach of sticking a DVD or whatever in your pocket.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:36:54 +0000, Clive George wrote:

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:10:11 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
It's often "Do you have a Nectar card at all?". To which I reply "No, not
even slightly". Bemused stare...

Oh, I do like that! Or perhaps even better: "Yes, just this bit of one."
*hand over small fragment of plastic*

(that's one thing I've noticed in the US - they don't seem to constantly
try to ram their store cards down peoples' throats like they did in the
UK. Tesco and their bloody clubcard used to **** me off no end)

Though they do have dual pricing which means it's worth getting a card in
many, even for a very brief visit. The Tesco one pays off in the future, the
US ones pay off at the time.

I think my sense of not wanting to feel loyal to any particular store
always outweighs my desire to make a few savings - particularly when I
don't know what information they're recording about me or who else they're
giving it to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:44:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:32:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Why? Do you have to pay for parking?

Not at most supermarkets. But plenty places do charge for parking

In SW London, certainly. In SE England, most of the time.

But that's less likely to be the case in many other regions of the UK,
and that's why the two of you have different opinions.

I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns
outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I
used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to
pay for parking only once or twice a month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Mr Fuxit wrote:
On 26 Oct, 22:15, Owain wrote:
On 26 Oct, 18:54, "js.b1" wrote:

M&S and Asda machines work ok on light items like diet hot-choc (22g?)
if you drop them into a bag, but not if you drop them onto a loose bag
which cushions their impact (not registered).
Tesco tills object if you put your own bag on the 'bagging scale' but
if you scan your tin of something, put it in your own bag, then put
that on the bagging scale, it's (usually) within tolerance.

I quite like self-scan as it means nobody can see me buying anything
embarrassing, but what's the B&Q equivalent of Value Condoms?

Owain

Gaffer tape

In Aus, self adhesive tape is made by Durex...

--
Cheers,

John.

Did you hear about the dyslexic Brit that used Dulux?

He rolled it on.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, tim.... wrote:

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
id...
In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

That's unfair.

I often forget to offer my card at the check-out and when I realise two
minute's later am annoyed that I wasn't prompted by the assistant because
"I
don't fit the profile".

What "profile"?

Being female. I have noticed that the checkout staff more usually ask women
"do you want the school vouchers" or "do you have a club/reward card than
they do men.

OTOH, they probably more often ask men "do you want the petrol vouches" but
I can't survey that as I rarely spend enough money to qualify (I don't own a
car).

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek Geldard" wrote in message

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

That's unfair.

I often forget to offer my card at the check-out and when I realise two
minute's later am annoyed that I wasn't prompted by the assistant because
"I
don't fit the profile".

The goddam things are a profound waste of time, money, and plastic
cards anyway.

Ever worked out the return on using a Nectar card in a supermarket ?
On £7.50 's worth of shopping it's a small fraction of bugger all.
Then total up the delay involved in using it , added to the delay to
you in everybody in the queue in front of you using theirs, then you
realise you are selling your life for about 15 p per hour.

Better to buy one small item less and keep control your life for
yourself.

I can't control the delay cause by everybody else so I will still suffer it

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Mr Fuxit wrote:
On 26 Oct, 22:15, Owain wrote:
On 26 Oct, 18:54, "js.b1" wrote:

M&S and Asda machines work ok on light items like diet hot-choc (22g?)
if you drop them into a bag, but not if you drop them onto a loose bag
which cushions their impact (not registered).
Tesco tills object if you put your own bag on the 'bagging scale' but
if you scan your tin of something, put it in your own bag, then put
that on the bagging scale, it's (usually) within tolerance.

I quite like self-scan as it means nobody can see me buying anything
embarrassing, but what's the B&Q equivalent of Value Condoms?

Owain

Gaffer tape

In Aus, self adhesive tape is made by Durex...

--
Cheers,

John.

Did you hear about the dyslexic Brit that used Dulux?

He rolled it on.

I heard about the one in an American shop - after being told a pack of
three was a $2.50 + tax, he said "Sod that for a game of soldiers - I
will tie them on if I have to!"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:32:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?
Why? Do you have to pay for parking?
Not at most supermarkets. But plenty places do charge for parking

In SW London, certainly. In SE England, most of the time.

But that's less likely to be the case in many other regions of the UK,
and that's why the two of you have different opinions.

I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

Try Hockley in Essex, still plenty of free ones there ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm
wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 20:11

Don't know, but you could expect some very confused looking Bits in a
chemist... what's this, roll your own?

There's always expanding foam if you're in a hurry...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message

On 29/10/2009 13:33, in article
,
"Derek Geldard" wrote:

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:30:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On 29 Oct 2009 10:19:20 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I haven't been to morrisons since they introduced the trolleys
that
you have to put a £1 in to use. I had no cash with me at the
time
and the staff refused to help. I now always shop elsewhere.

Aye, another reason for not liking Morrisons, that and the habit of
blocking the isles with silly little offer baskets and the awful
drab/dark yellow and black colour scheme. The Penrith store was quite
light and airy when it was Safeway, turns into a dingy dim place when
Morrisons took it over (and bought in the "pay" trollys).

Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Why? Do you have to pay for parking?

I carry one of those pound shaped discs on my keyring.

So do I but on some trollies at the only place I that I know has
these things it doesn't work.

Make sure your not using it upside down ! (no matter which side the
LOGO / Design is on, alternatively try another from a different
source. I paid for a Gt Ormond Stone which only worked one way up the
one I have now works all ways up !

Derek

I find that a 20 Euro cent coin works a treat, and a one Euro works at a
push (and a pull to get the thing out again).

Alternatively, the ones that take two children often don't require money.

does it refund the children at the end or does the shop get to keep them?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

michael adams wrote:
"djc" wrote in message ...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Bloomsbury http://www.waitrose.com/branches/branchdetails.aspx?uid=207

Though the interesting question re that particular branch is where
all the non-chavs shopped before it opened.

There used to be a Safeway in the Brunswick precinct - which is what Waitrose
opens out onto, in the days when Safeway used to be quite upmarket stocking
stuff like black pumpernickel bread etc.

Yes, I know. But it certainly wasn't upmarket when it closed.

--
djc @work
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

michael adams wrote:

Dunno if you're referring to the self-service ones. A while ago they were always
breaking down. Now instead the woman's voice drives you mad - "please put the item
in the bag" 0.00000001 secs after you've scanned it. For every single item. I've
started talking back to the machine now, "yes I know dear " "alright alright just
wait a minute" even with a queue of people waiting. I'll probably get carted off
one of these days.

Went into M&S in Tottenham Ct Road this Lunchtime. Huge long
queues - even for a lunchtime, even with all the quick tills
active. Then I noticed, they have taken out most of the normal
tills and put in self-service ones.

--
djc @work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:44:06 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There are no pay ones in the town near where I live, but I'm in the
wrong country

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

tim.... wrote:

Being female. I have noticed that the checkout staff more usually ask women
"do you want the school vouchers" or "do you have a club/reward card than
they do men.

OTOH, they probably more often ask men "do you want the petrol vouches" but
I can't survey that as I rarely spend enough money to qualify (I don't own a
car).

tim

O yes - I get offered petrol vouchers. At JS and Tesco from time to
time. But the nearest Tesco with petrol is around 10m away in the
'wrong' direction (i.e. the direction I hardly ever need or want to go)
and I have no idea where the nearest JS forecourt is.

****es me off.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:13:36 +0000, Pete Verdon wrote:

If they developed a tag that could be zapped via the RF side it
wouldn't be long before a little pocket box appeared that did the
same thing...

Doubtless true, but getting hold of such a box is mildly more difficult
than the current approach of sticking a DVD or whatever in your pocket.

I doubt they would be that hard to come by. Might need some
electronics skills and abilty to program a PIC or similar like the
old Sky card hack. And this box would be in your pocket, swipe the
goods past it, they tag gets zapped, place goods in trolly and wheel
them out in full view...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:44:06 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

No charge for parking down in the town(*).
Brampton has free disc parking (2hrs max, no return within an hour).
Penrith has a mix of Pay in Dismay and free disc parking.
Hexham similar to Penrith.
Carlisle mostly Pay in Dismay (1-2hrs £1.60) but if you know where to
go there is free disc parking (1hr max I think) but they tend to be
100yds further walk from the shops and getting a space is more luck
than anything else.

(*) They have just repainted and extended the double yellow lines.
They have yet to update the signage. So some is just plain wrong as
it refers to the restrictions of the previous single yellow line,
others are missing just a grey post, others are blank just a yellow
plate. Thus the nice bright new double yellows are not enforceable
due to the incorrect signage mind you we only get a traffic warden
round once a month if that...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:33:35 +0000, Derek Geldard wrote:

I carry one of those pound shaped discs on my keyring.

So do I but on some trollies at the only place I that I know has
these things it doesn't work.

Make sure your not using it upside down !

You think I haven't tried it both ways up in a trolly that won't work
with it?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns
outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I
used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to
pay for parking only once or twice a month.

There are free car parks round here too. Things like shopping centres. But
if you prefer to wander round High Street shops rather than a purpose
built centre you'll likely have to pay to park. So I'd guess no different
from anywhere else.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Oct 29, 8:10*am, Bob Eager wrote:

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

It's often "Do you have a Nectar card at all?". To which I reply "No, not
even slightly". Bemused stare...

tee hee.

On the 'phone you often get, after giving your name, 'And how are you
spelling that?'. I sometimes reply "Today, I am spelling it with a
'Q' ..."

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:44:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:32:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Why? Do you have to pay for parking?

Not at most supermarkets. But plenty places do charge for parking

In SW London, certainly. In SE England, most of the time.

But that's less likely to be the case in many other regions of the
UK, and that's why the two of you have different opinions.

I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns
outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I
used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to
pay for parking only once or twice a month.

Medway Council regard parking simpy as a revenue source. Charges enforced
until 10:00pm, whole areas where there is no free parking at all, the town
centre is a joke. They don't give a toss about local shops or local
traders.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:27:21 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
had this to say:

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:44:06 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

No charge for parking down in the town(*).
Brampton has free disc parking (2hrs max, no return within an hour).
Penrith has a mix of Pay in Dismay and free disc parking.

Hmm - it seems that everywhere I go in and around the Lakes has boodly
expensive parking charges (obviously apart from the small villages).
I'm overdue for a camping holiday across there - it must be three or
four years since my last visit.

Hexham similar to Penrith.

In Hexham the secret is to park in the Tesco carp ark, from where it's
not _too_ far to walk to anywhere in the town. If you call into Tesco
and buy some token item you feel a bit less guilty about using their
fish boat.

Carlisle mostly Pay in Dismay (1-2hrs £1.60) but if you know where to
go there is free disc parking (1hr max I think) but they tend to be
100yds further walk from the shops and getting a space is more luck
than anything else.

I haven't been to Carlisle for - ooh - maybe 25+ years. In fact all I
remember about the place is the GPO (BT) radio tower/mast (Harraby?).
It was linked with a GPO station, Hopealone, which I used to look
after for a while, carrying TV and other stuff to/from Pontop Pike.

(*) They have just repainted and extended the double yellow lines.
They have yet to update the signage. So some is just plain wrong as
it refers to the restrictions of the previous single yellow line,
others are missing just a grey post, others are blank just a yellow
plate. Thus the nice bright new double yellows are not enforceable
due to the incorrect signage mind you we only get a traffic warden
round once a month if that...

That figures. I 'm sure the local 'authorities' rely on the local
peoples' naivety (sp?) regarding parking legislation.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help
packing?' so many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

That's unfair.

I often forget to offer my card at the check-out and when I realise
two minute's later am annoyed that I wasn't prompted by the
assistant because "I
don't fit the profile".

What "profile"?

Being female. I have noticed that the checkout staff more usually
ask women "do you want the school vouchers" or "do you have a
club/reward card than they do men.

Why are you called Tim if you inhabit a bumpy jumper?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
Urgh.

That always bugs me at international airports - if coming from overseas
it's rare to have foreign currency on hand in small coins, yet lots of
airports charge for the baggage trolleys these days

Worse, they actually charge for them in some, not just ask for a deposit. I
think that was Las Vegas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
(that's one thing I've noticed in the US - they don't seem to constantly
try to ram their store cards down peoples' throats like they did in the
UK. Tesco and their bloody clubcard used to **** me off no end)

Though they do have dual pricing which means it's worth getting a card in
many, even for a very brief visit. The Tesco one pays off in the future,
the
US ones pay off at the time.

I think my sense of not wanting to feel loyal to any particular store
always outweighs my desire to make a few savings - particularly when I
don't know what information they're recording about me or who else they're
giving it to.

I got one or two during a 3 week holiday in the US. The information they
were recording wasn't actually checked - i might even have not given them
any (can't remember). Unlike clubcard, where you get your vouchers through
the post so need to provide some valid info, getting the savings there and
then means no need for an actual address etc :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 00:51:10 GMT The Medway Handyman wrote :
Medway Council regard parking simpy as a revenue source. Charges
enforced until 10:00pm, whole areas where there is no free parking
at all, the town centre is a joke. They don't give a toss about
local shops or local traders.

That was LB Richmond too - I've seen them handing out tickets at
6.25p.m. on a Saturday evening at Tesco Teddington. But never to be
seen when there is a car parked so as to cause genuine danger or
inconvenience.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 00:53:33 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

What "profile"?

Being female. I have noticed that the checkout staff more usually ask
women "do you want the school vouchers" or "do you have a club/reward
card than they do men.

Why are you called Tim if you inhabit a bumpy jumper?

He doesn't. The first (two word) sentence answers the question "What
profile?". The rest is separate.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:38:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns
outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I
used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to
pay for parking only once or twice a month.

There are free car parks round here too. Things like shopping centres. But
if you prefer to wander round High Street shops rather than a purpose
built centre you'll likely have to pay to park. So I'd guess no different
from anywhere else.

You guessed wrong. I used to park free of charge very close to the
town centre in Yorkshire. There were 30 minute, 1 hour and 2 hour
spaces, all free of charge, but the 2 hour spaces were a little
further away and only rarely vacant. There were privately owned car
parks that charged; these were used by people who needed longer stays
or couldn't find a free parking space. I used those for less than one
trip in ten.

I suppose to someone who doesn't venture out of the south east very
often, this must seem unusual. But it is the norm in many parts of
the north.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:38:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns
outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I
used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to
pay for parking only once or twice a month.

There are free car parks round here too. Things like shopping centres.
But if you prefer to wander round High Street shops rather than a
purpose built centre you'll likely have to pay to park. So I'd guess no
different from anywhere else.

You guessed wrong. I used to park free of charge very close to the
town centre in Yorkshire.

I 'used to' park free too. Even outside my front door.

There were 30 minute, 1 hour and 2 hour
spaces, all free of charge, but the 2 hour spaces were a little
further away and only rarely vacant.

There are a number of free parking spaces in most areas here too. Provided
you can find a vacant one.

There were privately owned car parks that charged; these were used by
people who needed longer stays or couldn't find a free parking space. I
used those for less than one trip in ten.

So you're implying no council owned car parks that charge? Have you been
there recently?

I suppose to someone who doesn't venture out of the south east very
often, this must seem unusual. But it is the norm in many parts of
the north.

There are occasions where the easy way out is simply to pay for parking.
And to facilitate this I keep change in my car - it even has a slot marked
'coins' for this. So hardly as unusual as you seem to think. Those coins
can also be used for the odd toll - or even as the deposit for a
supermarket trolley. Which is where I came in...

BTW, I'd suggest you visit some of the touristy places 'up north' if you
think free parking is the norm there.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:29:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:38:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
[...]

There was one serving the town centre. I was there in September 2009.

I suppose to someone who doesn't venture out of the south east very
often, this must seem unusual. But it is the norm in many parts of
the north.

There are occasions where the easy way out is simply to pay for parking.
And to facilitate this I keep change in my car - it even has a slot marked
'coins' for this. So hardly as unusual as you seem to think. Those coins
can also be used for the odd toll - or even as the deposit for a
supermarket trolley. Which is where I came in...

Well, I also live in the south east, and keep coins in the car for the
same purpose. Despite what you appear to think, I recognised the coin
slots as soon as I saw them. ;-)

BTW, I'd suggest you visit some of the touristy places 'up north' if you
think free parking is the norm there.

The town I lived in is a seaside resort. The locals know where to
park for free; the tourists tend to use different car parks where they
are asked to pay through the nose. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns
outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I
used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to
pay for parking only once or twice a month.

There are free car parks round here too. Things like shopping centres. But
if you prefer to wander round High Street shops rather than a purpose
built centre you'll likely have to pay to park. So I'd guess no different
from anywhere else.

I guess that it isn't the case in Leeds/Bradford, but IME N Yorkshire market
towns have "disk" parking, even in the town centre.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:44:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:32:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Why? Do you have to pay for parking?

Not at most supermarkets. But plenty places do charge for parking

In SW London, certainly. In SE England, most of the time.

But that's less likely to be the case in many other regions of the
UK, and that's why the two of you have different opinions.

I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns
outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I
used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to
pay for parking only once or twice a month.

Medway Council regard parking simpy as a revenue source. Charges enforced
until 10:00pm,

You're lucky, most large places have gone over to 24 hour charging.

whole areas where there is no free parking at all, the town centre is a
joke. They don't give a toss about local shops or local traders.

I think they do, they just haven't noticed the effect yet

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:22:24 -0700, jkn wrote:
On the 'phone you often get, after giving your name, 'And how are you
spelling that?'. I sometimes reply "Today, I am spelling it with a
'Q' ..."

Make sure to tell them that it's a silent Q, though.

Throw a few backspaces and tabs in there too, just for good measure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On 30 Oct,
"tim...." wrote:

I guess that it isn't the case in Leeds/Bradford, but IME N Yorkshire
market towns have "disk" parking, even in the town centre.

Several local ones have recently contraversially introduced charges.
Stokesley, Thirsk, Northallerton and Bedale.

Only places that have free carparks are those no one wants to go to. So
have so few users it's not worth the bother of policing. Elsewhere what
council can resist soaking the motorist?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
On 30 Oct,
"tim...." wrote:

I guess that it isn't the case in Leeds/Bradford, but IME N Yorkshire
market towns have "disk" parking, even in the town centre.

Several local ones have recently contraversially introduced charges.
Stokesley, Thirsk, Northallerton and Bedale.

Only places that have free carparks are those no one wants to go to. So
have so few users it's not worth the bother of policing.

Like a church?

Elsewhere what
council can resist soaking the motorist?

No free council parking in the town centres in S Yorkshire. The Methodist
Church car park on Pitt St is usually empty.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
John Rumm
wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 20:11

Don't know, but you could expect some very confused looking Bits in a
chemist... what's this, roll your own?

There's always expanding foam if you're in a hurry...

But in the words of Corporal Jones, They don't like it up em!

--
Cheers,

John.