Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q self checkout machines

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:51:35 +0000, Frank Erskine
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:50:10 -0000, "michael adams"
had this to say:

Jimmy Gulliver actually. The Scotch bloke who ran Argyll foods who owned
Presto among other stores. Jimmy Goldsmith was the looney memeber of the Cleremont
Set who sued Private Eye and stood for Parliament, and owned Marmite and other brands
under his Cavenham Foods label. Gulliver bought them as late as 1987 and
it was downhill after that. Mainly under his successor Alastair Grant. They
were doing o.k. before he bought them as well. Later on they had another revamp
with fancy lighting etc but the magic had gone. Just remembered they really went
downmarket near the end with special offers on Pringles in almost every aisle
and loads of other "offers". There were probably still warehousefuls of
unsold Pringles when Morrison bought them out.

Morrisons is a bit downmarket, but they do have a very good range of
cheeses.

I haven't been to morrisons since they introduced the trolleys that
you have to put a £1 in to use. I had no cash with me at the time and
the staff refused to help. I now always shop elsewhere.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:50:10 -0000, "michael adams"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:26:34 -0000, "michael adams"
wrote:

"djc" wrote in message ...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Bloomsbury http://www.waitrose.com/branches/branchdetails.aspx?uid=207

Though the interesting question re that particular branch is where
all the non-chavs shopped before it opened.

There used to be a Safeway in the Brunswick precinct - which is what Waitrose
opens out onto, in the days when Safeway used to be quite upmarket stocking
stuff like black pumpernickel bread etc.

That was Safeway at its best - under American management, and with
only four or five stores in the whole of the UK. I used to shop at
the branch in Manchester. It was the largest delicatessen in the
north of England.

Some years later, the franchise for the UK was bought by Sir James
Goldsmith, whose much larger (and much more downmarket) Presto chain
of supermarkets was merged with the UK Safeway, and the whole lot was
rebranded Safeway. For the flagship Safeway stores, there was a
lowering of standards, but the Presto stores went sharply upmarket.

The result was positioned somewhere above Tesco and probably slightly
below Sainsbury's in the pecking order. It was quite an achievement
to pull Presto up to that standard.

Jimmy Gulliver actually. The Scotch bloke who ran Argyll foods who owned
Presto among other stores. Jimmy Goldsmith was the looney memeber of the Cleremont
Set who sued Private Eye and stood for Parliament, and owned Marmite and other brands
under his Cavenham Foods label. Gulliver bought them as late as 1987 and
it was downhill after that. Mainly under his successor Alastair Grant. They
were doing o.k. before he bought them as well. Later on they had another revamp
with fancy lighting etc but the magic had gone. Just remembered they really went
downmarket near the end with special offers on Pringles in almost every aisle
and loads of other "offers". There were probably still warehousefuls of
unsold Pringles when Morrison bought them out.

Thanks for that! Fascinating background.

Sir James Goldsmith used to own Presto - he sold the store chain to
Argyll Foods in 1982. But you're right, it was Gulliver who
masterminded the takeover of Safeway by Argyll Foods in 1987.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:26:44 -0700 (PDT), Owain
wrote:
On 28 Oct, 19:38, Andy Burns wrote:
M&S food checkout staff seem trained to pick one item you've bought and
comment "Oh yes, they're a real treat, aren't they?"

I'll watch out for that next time I buy catfood and loo roll.

"Mmmm! Don't you find they are much softer than Charmin?" ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yup. Morrisons is one of the few places around you can get light soy sauce
among other things the other one being Waitrose. Go in there once a week.

Pity about the checkouts...

Dunno if you're referring to the self-service ones. A while ago they were always
breaking down. Now instead the woman's voice drives you mad - "please put the item
in the bag" 0.00000001 secs after you've scanned it. For every single item. I've
started talking back to the machine now, "yes I know dear " "alright alright just
wait a minute" even with a queue of people waiting. I'll probably get carted off
one of these days.

That's if someone in the queue behind you doesn't give you a kick

"In the bagging area".

Derek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:52:39 -0000, "Clot"
wrote:

There were indeed superb

As was Leeds Uni at the same time. Now it's 4 years honours degrees in
"pizza-ology" at Leeds Met.

when they were the American owned store. I used to
use one in Leeds in the late60s/ early 70s.

Isn't that the case with a lot of '70s concepts ?

Or, to paraphrase my '70s (Texan) boss ...

"You spend time and money developing a concept, then just when you've
got it right some ****-arse comes along and copies it cheaper.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
I haven't been to morrisons since they introduced the trolleys that
you have to put a £1 in to use. I had no cash with me at the time and
the staff refused to help. I now always shop elsewhere.

Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:03:50 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
I haven't been to morrisons since they introduced the trolleys that you
have to put a £1 in to use. I had no cash with me at the time and the
staff refused to help. I now always shop elsewhere.

Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

I carry one of those pound shaped discs on my keyring.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:03:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
I haven't been to morrisons since they introduced the trolleys that
you have to put a £1 in to use. I had no cash with me at the time and
the staff refused to help. I now always shop elsewhere.

Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Not when I am going to the supermarket.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Oct 2009 10:19:20 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I haven't been to morrisons since they introduced the trolleys

that
you have to put a £1 in to use. I had no cash with me at the

time
and the staff refused to help. I now always shop elsewhere.

Aye, another reason for not liking Morrisons, that and the habit of
blocking the isles with silly little offer baskets and the awful
drab/dark yellow and black colour scheme. The Penrith store was quite
light and airy when it was Safeway, turns into a dingy dim place when
Morrisons took it over (and bought in the "pay" trollys).

Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Why? Do you have to pay for parking?

I carry one of those pound shaped discs on my keyring.

So do I but on some trollies at the only place I that I know has
these things it doesn't work.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Actually, if you can't answer the question 'How are you today?' by replying
'Wonderful' then you are a miserable git I'm afraid.

Pointless question, pointless answer. "Good morning" is different i.e I
wish you a good morning but I'm not poking you with a stick to get a
response.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

That's unfair.

I often forget to offer my card at the check-out and when I realise two
minute's later am annoyed that I wasn't prompted by the assistant because "I
don't fit the profile".

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, tim.... wrote:

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
d...
In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

That's unfair.

I often forget to offer my card at the check-out and when I realise two
minute's later am annoyed that I wasn't prompted by the assistant because "I
don't fit the profile".

What "profile"?

I realise that the thing I most dislike about that question is the
implication that I seem like the sort of person who would carry a Nectar
card and then forget to use it.

Anyway just take your card and receipt to the Customer Service desk and
they'll sort it out for you. After that happens a few times you won't
forget again.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:20:52 +0000, Pete Verdon wrote:

So there's clearly a need for "one-shot" tags that are neutralised when
the goods are sold. These exist at present in the form of tags with
their aerials in perforated "wings" that get snapped off at the
checkout, but that doesn't really work for the "walk through an arch and
get billed for what you're carrying" model.

And doesn't stop people snapping off the wings before they have been
through the checkout...

If they developed a tag that could be zapped via the RF side it
wouldn't be long before a little pocket box appeared that did the
same thing...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the implication that I seem like the sort of person who would carry a Nectar
card and then forget to use it.

Downright offensive. These days we all have rights and can be mortally
wounded by bugger all. I suppose it takes our minds off what's going on
in the real world.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:40:37 +0000, Derek Geldard wrote:
Or, to paraphrase my '70s (Texan) boss ...

"You spend time and money developing a concept, then just when you've
got it right some ****-arse comes along and copies it cheaper.

Yeah, copy it, cut corners, add crap that nobody actually needs, have a
big marketing campaign... public lap it all up, and by the time
they've realised it's a pile of crap the company who did all
the original hard work and made the better (but more expensive) product
has been forced out of business. At that point all the public can do is
continue buying more crap...

Most companies are run by idiots - but unfortunately most of the time they
seem to be selling to idiots, too :-(

I think it's all called "progress" usually.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:35:33 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

This side of the Pond it's always "did you find everything you need?"... I
think next time I'll just go straight to the checkout with my shopping
list and just hand it to them to see what happens. Maybe they'll navigate
the crowded aisles and hunt out everything for me.

They have some self-service checkouts at one of the DIY sheds and one
of the supermarkets here - but they always seem to have a staff member for
each one who then checks every single item to make sure customers aren't
trying to screw them. How the hell does that make *any* sense? It needs
just as many employees to run, the self-service checkouts must be more
expensive than the usual ones, and a trained operator will be able
to get people through a checkout far quicker than they will themselves,
thus reducing queues. Technology just for the sake of it, it seems.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:10:11 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
It's often "Do you have a Nectar card at all?". To which I reply "No, not
even slightly". Bemused stare...

Oh, I do like that! Or perhaps even better: "Yes, just this bit of one."
*hand over small fragment of plastic*

(that's one thing I've noticed in the US - they don't seem to constantly
try to ram their store cards down peoples' throats like they did in the
UK. Tesco and their bloody clubcard used to **** me off no end)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 03:34:12 +0000, Rod wrote:
But when some customer care consultant has
devised the one and only way of first talking to a customer, and it is
cunningly devised to have no real answer, I simply feel processed and
manipulated.

The whole "How are you today?" / "Good. How are you today?" / "Good."
exchange is almost a cultural thing here in the US. It's utterly
meaningless, but everyone does it and the exchange is always the same no
matter how either of the people are feeling.

Sounds like it's over there now, too. Just try and treat it as a
meaningless ritual rather than attempting any form of genuine answer.
Takes a while to get used to, admittedly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:30:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

Make sure your not using it upside down ! (no matter which side the
LOGO / Design is on, alternatively try another from a different
source. I paid for a Gt Ormond Stone which only worked one way up the
one I have now works all ways up !

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

That's unfair.

I often forget to offer my card at the check-out and when I realise two
minute's later am annoyed that I wasn't prompted by the assistant because "I
don't fit the profile".

The goddam things are a profound waste of time, money, and plastic
cards anyway.

Ever worked out the return on using a Nectar card in a supermarket ?
On £7.50 's worth of shopping it's a small fraction of bugger all.
Then total up the delay involved in using it , added to the delay to
you in everybody in the queue in front of you using theirs, then you
realise you are selling your life for about 15 p per hour.

Better to buy one small item less and keep control your life for
yourself.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I find that a 20 Euro cent coin works a treat, and a one Euro works at a
push (and a pull to get the thing out again).

Alternatively, the ones that take two children often don't require money.
(Just don't take them from my local supermarkets because I use them!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 03:34:12 +0000, Rod wrote:
But when some customer care consultant has
devised the one and only way of first talking to a customer, and it is
cunningly devised to have no real answer, I simply feel processed and
manipulated.

The whole "How are you today?" / "Good. How are you today?" / "Good."
exchange is almost a cultural thing here in the US. It's utterly
meaningless, but everyone does it and the exchange is always the same no
matter how either of the people are feeling.

Sounds like it's over there now, too. Just try and treat it as a
meaningless ritual rather than attempting any form of genuine answer.
Takes a while to get used to, admittedly.

"You alright?" ****es me off. Usually uttered by someone walking past at
5mph. In today's Orwellian climate it really means, "**** you".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

This side of the Pond it's always "did you find everything you need?"

There's one retailer in the UK who already uses that question, and
that is Lakeland, who sell all kinds of kitchen gadgets you never knew
existed, and never knew you needed.

Apart from that question, Lakeland is a good retailer. I go about
once a year just to see what they believe I need in my kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble
wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 13:57

"You alright?" ****es me off. Usually uttered by someone walking past at
5mph. In today's Orwellian climate it really means, "**** you".

I wouldn't go that far. It's chav-speak, but I take it to be well meaning,
mostly, in a limited way...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

And since when has the verb 'to be' taken an adjective?

Like, forever, Grandad. It's like to totally be anyway dood, sheesh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
[...]

What's great is that the staff and the customers, at least those of
them which are still compos-mentis very quickly learn the quirks of
the terminal software.

Limes ? are they sold "each", by the pack, or "by weight",

Why is there no picture of a Lime ?

B&Q Diamond card - how to get your discount?

Enter it as a voucher ? Nooooooo

It's got a hidden menu page all of it's own.

Technology just for the sake of it, it seems.

Derek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There were indeed superb

As was Leeds Uni at the same time. Now it's 4 years honours degrees in
"pizza-ology" at Leeds Met.

Leeds Uni != Leeds Met

when they were the American owned store. I used to
use one in Leeds in the late60s/ early 70s.

Isn't that the case with a lot of '70s concepts ?

Prog rock?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There were indeed superb

As was Leeds Uni at the same time. Now it's 4 years honours degrees in
"pizza-ology" at Leeds Met.

Leeds Uni != Leeds Met

It's close, and getting closer in more than one sense.

Soon there'll be 2 more Uni's in Leeds.

Trinity and all Saints an ex Roman Catholic Teacher Training College,
(They had to have one class per week that wasn't RE ! ).

And Thomas Danby (Who he?) College of catering otherwise known as
"The Pud School"

when they were the American owned store. I used to
use one in Leeds in the late60s/ early 70s.

Isn't that the case with a lot of '70s concepts ?

Prog rock?

I got married in '72, and from then on it was wall to wall Val
Doonican and Cliff Richards for me.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:10:11 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
It's often "Do you have a Nectar card at all?". To which I reply "No, not
even slightly". Bemused stare...

Oh, I do like that! Or perhaps even better: "Yes, just this bit of one."
*hand over small fragment of plastic*

(that's one thing I've noticed in the US - they don't seem to constantly
try to ram their store cards down peoples' throats like they did in the
UK. Tesco and their bloody clubcard used to **** me off no end)

Though they do have dual pricing which means it's worth getting a card in
many, even for a very brief visit. The Tesco one pays off in the future, the
US ones pay off at the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:40:05 -0000, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

Has anyone got any idea how these Devil's scrotums work?

They're the spawn of the devil, and I vehemently despite the fscking
things...

Sadly, our local B&Q appears to have done away with real tills, and
only uses these abortions now...

I've come seriously close to dumping my purchases and leaving the
store never to return again before now, but I actually need the damn
items there and then :-(

I can see the "benefit" to the store, one member of staff able to
juggle 4 tills at once, but if there's an option, i'll always go for
the human variant.

Today there was only one girl and the 4 self-checkout tills. No staff
on any other till.

It's hard work for the person doing it as it seems each of us needed
assistance.
--
http://www.halloweenfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Not when I am going to the supermarket.

If you have to take the small change out of the car before going to a
supermarket, I'd move to a less pikey area.

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Why? Do you have to pay for parking?

Not at most supermarkets. But plenty places do charge for parking so I
find it easier to keep some change in the car expressly for this. Which
also means I'll have a pound coin handy for trolleys if needed.

--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:

Though they do have dual pricing which means it's worth getting a card in
many, even for a very brief visit. The Tesco one pays off in the future, the
US ones pay off at the time.

I don't know what the discount is for cardholders but there was a
programme on while I was living there at the time that they started
bringing in the scheme. One of the consumer organisations had monitored
prices in the lead up to the introduction and reported that there was an
increase in prices in the three months or so before the introduction of
the scheme which was matched by the savings cardholders received.

Wonder when Tesco will start doing the same.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
[...]

That is the biggest reason I hate them. I often think I would put my
fist through one, if I had to use one. The only time I have used one, an
assistant did everything for me, except entering my pin number :-)

I watched our daughter use one in Portsmouth Tesco and it took her ten
minutes, two assistants and two tills to get her goods.

Titless tills, they are doomed, or should that be damned?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

It's often "Do you have a Nectar card at all?". To which I reply "No, not
even slightly". Bemused stare...

:-) I'll have to remember that one :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mark wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Not when I am going to the supermarket.

If you have to take the small change out of the car before going to a
supermarket, I'd move to a less pikey area.

I have a feeling the reason for his answer is different to what you think it
might be. Think less about what's being taking in the car, and more about
how he's getting there in the first place.

'Course I could be wrong, but it's our answer to the same question.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:32:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Why? Do you have to pay for parking?

Not at most supermarkets. But plenty places do charge for parking

In SW London, certainly. In SE England, most of the time.

But that's less likely to be the case in many other regions of the UK,
and that's why the two of you have different opinions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:33:30 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

In Aus, self adhesive tape is made by Durex...

I bet that leads to some sticky situations. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:33:30 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Mr Fuxit wrote:
On 26 Oct, 22:15, Owain wrote:
On 26 Oct, 18:54, "js.b1" wrote:

M&S and Asda machines work ok on light items like diet hot-choc (22g?)
if you drop them into a bag, but not if you drop them onto a loose bag
which cushions their impact (not registered).
Tesco tills object if you put your own bag on the 'bagging scale' but
if you scan your tin of something, put it in your own bag, then put
that on the bagging scale, it's (usually) within tolerance.

I quite like self-scan as it means nobody can see me buying anything
embarrassing, but what's the B&Q equivalent of Value Condoms?

Owain

Gaffer tape

In Aus, self adhesive tape is made by Durex...

Do you still "Stretch it over the Organ" prior to use ?

Derek