Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q self checkout machines

"tim...." wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:59:23 +0000, Tim W wrote:
I notice that both my local Waitroses (Tonbridge and Paddock Wood)
always seem to have the same faces around, even after umpteen years -
and we're not talking the older generation either. And nothing's too
much trouble for them.

Says something about them, if they can attract, train and retain a good
calibre of staff.

The big difference between Waitrose and the rest (ASDA, Tesco,
Morrisons etc.) is that Waitrose attracts a better class of shopper.

Not having to deal with chavs and other assorted scum can only make it
easier for Waitrose staff to be pleasant, polite, helpful and - dare I
say it - probably a lot happier in their jobs.

Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Mine is.

(You get a clue that you've just moved to a chav area when going to register
for council tax, the first question is "what benefits are you on?" and the
second question is "are you sure you're not on any benefits?", I kid you
not, I was lost for words!)

Quite possibly they're obliged to ask that question by law wherever you
happen to live, if you give the appearance of maybe being disadvantaged in
some way, or suffering from a mental incapacity of some kind.

michael adams

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:19:38 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
had this to say:

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Newcastle (upon Tyne).

You classify all of Newcastle as a chav area?

The majority.
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:22:56 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:12:54 -0000, tim.... wrote:

But what does hold you up in Aldi with this system is, they can't start
to scan things until you have finished putting the things on the belt
(and thus they don't have an empty trolley to put them back into).

Er, why don't they do what CostCo does have an empty trolly at the
checkout when they start? Shopper comes along, starts unloading,
operator starts scanning and placing in pre-existing empty trolly.
When transaction is complete shoppers trolly is now empty and ready
for use by following shopper.

This doesn't work if they have those stupid trolleys that need a
pound shaped disc to be inserted to enable use.

Are there any places left that don't?

Yes. Waitrose use something that locks the wheels of the trolleys if
someone attempts to take them out of the carpark.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message

The big difference between Waitrose and the rest (ASDA, Tesco,
Morrisons etc.) is that Waitrose attracts a better class of shopper.

You could be right there, I shop in various supermarkets depending on what I
want.
But I do notice that in Asda people tend to push past or wait for you top
move for them
but it Sainsbury's shoppers mostly make way for each other.

Not having to deal with chavs and other assorted scum can only make it
easier for Waitrose staff to be pleasant, polite, helpful and - dare I
say it - probably a lot happier in their jobs.

I guess that makes sense too, I wonder what the pay rate is like for
cashiers in different stores.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim...." wrote in message

This doesn't work if they have those stupid trolleys that need a
pound shaped disc to be inserted to enable use.

Are there any places left that don't?

You need to live somewhere less pikey :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:56:53 +0000, Mark
wrote:

This doesn't work if they have those stupid trolleys that need a
pound shaped disc to be inserted to enable use.

Are there any places left that don't?

Yes. Waitrose use something that locks the wheels of the trolleys if
someone attempts to take them out of the carpark.

The Tesco at Failsworth does too. I'm not sure how many get thrown in
the canal there though.
--
http://www.halloweenfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

I guess that makes sense too, I wonder what the pay rate is like for
cashiers in different stores.

AIUI Lidl and Aldi pay **** and stress their workers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:00:06 -0000, "whisky-dave"
wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

The big difference between Waitrose and the rest (ASDA, Tesco,
Morrisons etc.) is that Waitrose attracts a better class of shopper.

You could be right there, I shop in various supermarkets depending on what I
want.
But I do notice that in Asda people tend to push past or wait for you top
move for them
but it Sainsbury's shoppers mostly make way for each other.

That seems about right. But there are also large variations between
supermarkets of the same brand. I would normally place Sainsbury's
above average, but their branch in Luton is one of the worst
supermarkets I have visited. Conversely, their new flagship store in
High Wycombe is outstanding.

From downmarket to upmarket I would list the chains as:

Somerfield
Morrisons
ASDA
Tesco
Sainsbury's
M&S
Waitrose
Booths (NW England only)

Obviously, we will all have slightly different preferences based on
our own particular local stores.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess that makes sense too, I wonder what the pay rate is like for
cashiers in different stores.

AIUI Lidl and Aldi pay **** and stress their workers.

That certainly isn't true of Aldi, who pay their workers a lot more
than the going rate. In return, Aldi expects hard work, a willingness
to carry out a wide range of tasks, and politeness when dealing with
customers. Three things that the average British supermarket worker
appears to find challenging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce
wibbled on Wednesday 28 October 2009 14:47

Three things that the average British [--------] worker
appears to find challenging.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:51:16 +0000, Tim W amended:

Three things that the average British [--------] worker
appears to find challenging.

True, so true. :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Yes.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess that makes sense too, I wonder what the pay rate is like for
cashiers in different stores.

AIUI Lidl and Aldi pay **** and stress their workers.

That certainly isn't true of Aldi, who pay their workers a lot more
than the going rate. In return, Aldi expects hard work, a willingness
to carry out a wide range of tasks, and politeness when dealing with
customers. Three things that the average British supermarket worker
appears to find challenging.

I find Lidl staff perfectly helpful, and not in that scripted way either
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:40:44 +0000, Bruce wrote:

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:00:06 -0000, "whisky-dave"
wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

The big difference between Waitrose and the rest (ASDA, Tesco,
Morrisons etc.) is that Waitrose attracts a better class of shopper.

You could be right there, I shop in various supermarkets depending on what I
want.
But I do notice that in Asda people tend to push past or wait for you top
move for them
but it Sainsbury's shoppers mostly make way for each other.

snip

From downmarket to upmarket I would list the chains as:

Somerfield
Morrisons
ASDA
Tesco
Sainsbury's
M&S
Waitrose
Booths (NW England only)

Obviously, we will all have slightly different preferences based on
our own particular local stores.

That's about right - I was really pleased to find Booths in Kendal (it is
also close to Greggs and Wetherspoons :-)) )
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:

I find Lidl staff perfectly helpful, and not in that scripted way either

Has been my experience also. I would actually put their pleasantness
more or less equal with Waitrose and ahead of most others. But it is
obviously something that will vary from store to store.

And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say. And the 'How are you today?' or similar -
especially when you are having a really bad day. I really hate being put
in the position of lying ('Fine thanks.') or having to express my misery
du jour. (Actually I am not that miserable a git. :-) )

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Neil" wrote in message

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

Neil, You're a born something or other. I take off my hat to you.

Bill

Steady on Bill, high praise indeed from the author of A Riggers Diary !

Neil

But you deserved it Neil. Brilliant.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

I find Lidl staff perfectly helpful, and not in that scripted way either

Has been my experience also. I would actually put their pleasantness
more or less equal with Waitrose and ahead of most others. But it is
obviously something that will vary from store to store.

And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say. And the 'How are you today?' or similar -
especially when you are having a really bad day. I really hate being put
in the position of lying ('Fine thanks.') or having to express my misery
du jour.

Or muttering under your breath, "WTF has it got to do with you how I am?"

(Actually I am not that miserable a git. :-) )

Actually you probably are, but then you're also probably over 40, so
it's understandable :-).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:
Rod wrote:

(Actually I am not that miserable a git. :-) )

Actually you probably are, but then you're also probably over 40, so
it's understandable :-).

I am. So quite likely!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Bloomsbury http://www.waitrose.com/branches/branchdetails.aspx?uid=207

Though the interesting question re that particular branch is where
all the non-chavs shopped before it opened.

--
djc @work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/09 18:29, Rod wrote:

And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?'

They might as well say "You don't really want any help packing, do you?"

And the 'How are you today?' or similar

M&S food checkout staff seem trained to pick one item you've bought and
comment "Oh yes, they're a real treat, aren't they?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djc" wrote in message ...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Bloomsbury http://www.waitrose.com/branches/branchdetails.aspx?uid=207

Though the interesting question re that particular branch is where
all the non-chavs shopped before it opened.

There used to be a Safeway in the Brunswick precinct - which is what Waitrose
opens out onto, in the days when Safeway used to be quite upmarket stocking
stuff like black pumpernickel bread etc.

michael adams

djc @work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess that makes sense too, I wonder what the pay rate is like for
cashiers in different stores.
AIUI Lidl and Aldi pay **** and stress their workers.

That certainly isn't true of Aldi, who pay their workers a lot more
than the going rate. In return, Aldi expects hard work, a willingness
to carry out a wide range of tasks, and politeness when dealing with
customers. Three things that the average British supermarket worker
appears to find challenging.

I find Lidl staff perfectly helpful, and not in that scripted way either

I agree. It's just that I knew that Aldi salaries were on the
generous side, whereas I have no idea what Lidl pay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:40:08 +0000, PeterC
wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:40:44 +0000, Bruce wrote:
From downmarket to upmarket I would list the chains as:
Somerfield
Morrisons
ASDA
Tesco
Sainsbury's
M&S
Waitrose
Booths (NW England only)

Obviously, we will all have slightly different preferences based on
our own particular local stores.

That's about right - I was really pleased to find Booths in Kendal (it is
also close to Greggs and Wetherspoons :-)) )

Booths and Waitrose are the only two supermarkets I actually enjoy
shopping in. I think my heart rate actually goes down when I enter,
whereas a trip to ASDA or Morrisons raises it significantly. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Has anyone got any idea how these Devil's scrotums work?

They're the spawn of the devil, and I vehemently despite the fscking
things...

Sadly, our local B&Q appears to have done away with real tills, and
only uses these abortions now...

I've come seriously close to dumping my purchases and leaving the
store never to return again before now, but I actually need the damn
items there and then :-(

I can see the "benefit" to the store, one member of staff able to
juggle 4 tills at once, but if there's an option, i'll always go for
the human variant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Actually I am not that miserable a git. :-) )

--
Rod

You won't fit in round here then! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:26:34 -0000, "michael adams"
wrote:

"djc" wrote in message ...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can you name a Waitrose within easy reach of a 'chav' area?

Bloomsbury http://www.waitrose.com/branches/branchdetails.aspx?uid=207

Though the interesting question re that particular branch is where
all the non-chavs shopped before it opened.

There used to be a Safeway in the Brunswick precinct - which is what Waitrose
opens out onto, in the days when Safeway used to be quite upmarket stocking
stuff like black pumpernickel bread etc.

That was Safeway at its best - under American management, and with
only four or five stores in the whole of the UK. I used to shop at
the branch in Manchester. It was the largest delicatessen in the
north of England.

Some years later, the franchise for the UK was bought by Sir James
Goldsmith, whose much larger (and much more downmarket) Presto chain
of supermarkets was merged with the UK Safeway, and the whole lot was
rebranded Safeway. For the flagship Safeway stores, there was a
lowering of standards, but the Presto stores went sharply upmarket.

The result was positioned somewhere above Tesco and probably slightly
below Sainsbury's in the pecking order. It was quite an achievement
to pull Presto up to that standard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"djc" wrote in message ...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[...]

Jimmy Gulliver actually. The Scotch bloke who ran Argyll foods who owned
Presto among other stores. Jimmy Goldsmith was the looney memeber of the Cleremont
Set who sued Private Eye and stood for Parliament, and owned Marmite and other brands
under his Cavenham Foods label. Gulliver bought them as late as 1987 and
it was downhill after that. Mainly under his successor Alastair Grant. They
were doing o.k. before he bought them as well. Later on they had another revamp
with fancy lighting etc but the magic had gone. Just remembered they really went
downmarket near the end with special offers on Pringles in almost every aisle
and loads of other "offers". There were probably still warehousefuls of
unsold Pringles when Morrison bought them out.

michael adams

everybody loves a smartarse.

sthe Presto bit is prolly c

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:50:10 -0000, "michael adams"
had this to say:

Jimmy Gulliver actually. The Scotch bloke who ran Argyll foods who owned
Presto among other stores. Jimmy Goldsmith was the looney memeber of the Cleremont
Set who sued Private Eye and stood for Parliament, and owned Marmite and other brands
under his Cavenham Foods label. Gulliver bought them as late as 1987 and
it was downhill after that. Mainly under his successor Alastair Grant. They
were doing o.k. before he bought them as well. Later on they had another revamp
with fancy lighting etc but the magic had gone. Just remembered they really went
downmarket near the end with special offers on Pringles in almost every aisle
and loads of other "offers". There were probably still warehousefuls of
unsold Pringles when Morrison bought them out.

Morrisons is a bit downmarket, but they do have a very good range of
cheeses.

Pity about the checkouts...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"djc" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

There used to be a Safeway in the Brunswick precinct - which is what
Waitrose opens out onto, in the days when Safeway used to be quite
upmarket stocking stuff like black pumpernickel bread etc.

That was Safeway at its best - under American management, and with
only four or five stores in the whole of the UK. I used to shop at
the branch in Manchester. It was the largest delicatessen in the
north of England.

There were indeed superb when they were the American owned store. I used to
use one in Leeds in the late60s/ early 70s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
[...]

I would put Morrisons well ahead of Tesco & Asda. Love the 'Market Street'
concept, excellent meat, in store bakery, salad bar etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Pity about the checkouts...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say. And the 'How are you today?' or
similar - especially when you are having a really bad day. I really
hate being put in the position of lying ('Fine thanks.') or having to
express my misery du jour. (Actually I am not that miserable a git.
:-) )

Actually, if you can't answer the question 'How are you today?' by replying
'Wonderful' then you are a miserable git I'm afraid.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:22:56 -0000, tim.... wrote:

This doesn't work if they have those stupid trolleys that need a
pound shaped disc to be inserted to enable use.

Are there any places left that don't?

The only place that has this stupid disc system is Makro, Washington
about 50 miles away. None of the other supermarkets in Penrith,
Hexham or Carlisle have it. Though Morrisons Penrith might but I
detest Morrisons as a store and only very rarely go there.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:19:57 -0000, tim.... wrote:

(You get a clue that you've just moved to a chav area when going to
register for council tax, the first question is "what benefits are you
on?" and the second question is "are you sure you're not on any
benefits?", I kid you not, I was lost for words!)

Ha you need to be quicker, the answer is "What benefits can I get?"

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 28 Oct, 19:38, Andy Burns wrote:
M&S food checkout staff seem trained to pick one item you've bought
and comment "Oh yes, they're a real treat, aren't they?"

I'll watch out for that next time I buy catfood and loo roll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?'
so many stores train them to say. And the 'How are you today?' or
similar - especially when you are having a really bad day. I really
hate being put in the position of lying ('Fine thanks.') or having to
express my misery du jour. (Actually I am not that miserable a git.
:-) )

Actually, if you can't answer the question 'How are you today?' by
replying 'Wonderful' then you are a miserable git I'm afraid.

"Said Dave with his customer-facing head on".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
[...]

Yup. Morrisons is one of the few places around you can get light soy sauce
among other things the other one being Waitrose. Go in there once a week.

Pity about the checkouts...

Dunno if you're referring to the self-service ones. A while ago they were always
breaking down. Now instead the woman's voice drives you mad - "please put the item
in the bag" 0.00000001 secs after you've scanned it. For every single item. I've
started talking back to the machine now, "yes I know dear " "alright alright just
wait a minute" even with a queue of people waiting. I'll probably get carted off
one of these days.

michael adams

Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Actually, if you can't answer the question 'How are you today?' by replying
'Wonderful' then you are a miserable git I'm afraid.

Sorry Dave - I understand what you are saying. But when I have just
taken my very ill partner round the store and we are desperate to get
home that sort of politeness does not come easy.

If a real person simply being themselves happens to tread on my toes in
their attempt to interact with another human, I will try to shrug it off
and reply pleasantly. I think I usually do so. An inept but real attempt
can still be appreciated. But when some customer care consultant has
devised the one and only way of first talking to a customer, and it is
cunningly devised to have no real answer, I simply feel processed and
manipulated.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:35:33 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

It's often "Do you have a Nectar card at all?". To which I reply "No, not
even slightly". Bemused stare...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?'
so many stores train them to say. And the 'How are you today?' or
similar - especially when you are having a really bad day. I really
hate being put in the position of lying ('Fine thanks.') or having
to express my misery du jour. (Actually I am not that miserable a
git. :-) )

Actually, if you can't answer the question 'How are you today?' by
replying 'Wonderful' then you are a miserable git I'm afraid.

"Said Dave with his customer-facing head on".

No, I'm just a generally happy bunny.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk