Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q self checkout machines

wrote in message ...
On 30 Oct,
"tim...." wrote:

I guess that it isn't the case in Leeds/Bradford, but IME N Yorkshire
market towns have "disk" parking, even in the town centre.

Several local ones have recently contraversially introduced charges.
Stokesley, Thirsk, Northallerton and Bedale.

I get 2 hour free 'disk' parking in Northallerton.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
On 30 Oct,
"tim...." wrote:

I guess that it isn't the case in Leeds/Bradford, but IME N Yorkshire
market towns have "disk" parking, even in the town centre.

Several local ones have recently contraversially introduced charges.
Stokesley, Thirsk, Northallerton and Bedale.

Only places that have free carparks are those no one wants to go to. So
have so few users it's not worth the bother of policing. Elsewhere what
council can resist soaking the motorist?

OI! I like Northallerton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ophelia wrote:

I get 2 hour free 'disk' parking in Northallerton.

What on earth could anyone find to do in Northallerton that would take
two hours? If someone moved to Northallerton and bought a horse then it
would become a one-horse town.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zhang Dawei wrote:
They wait until the item is on the scales before they allow the
next one to be scanned. It can be a real pain.

Agreed. It caught me out the first time I used one these things: what
I was all set up for doing was to quickly scan the items, then place
them immediately into the shopping trolley I had brought to carry the
stuff home on the bus. In the end, it took me much longer to take the
stuff out of the supermarket trolley, scan it, place on the
(smallish) area which turned out to be the weighing area, and then to
take it all off that again at the end to place it into my own
shopping trolley. What a waste of time and a hold-up!

I wholly agree. I've tried to use them at Tesco (various stores) and B & Q,
(one store) and have failed every time.Last week at a Tesco in wild west
North Wales, I tried to barcode through two packs of batteries that I don't
think are security sensitive. It would not allow me to register more than
one.

Fortunately, I saw a checkout counter with a human becoming free and went
through without a hitch.

A Tesco droid was having fun trying to reset the machine as I left!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek Geldard wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:16:27 -0500, Jules
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:40:37 +0000, Derek Geldard wrote:
Or, to paraphrase my '70s (Texan) boss ...

"You spend time and money developing a concept, then just when
you've got it right some ****-arse comes along and copies it
cheaper.

Yeah, copy it, cut corners, add crap that nobody actually needs,
have a big marketing campaign... public lap it all up, and by the
time
they've realised it's a pile of crap the company who did all
the original hard work and made the better (but more expensive)
product has been forced out of business. At that point all the
public can do is continue buying more crap...

Most companies are run by idiots - but unfortunately most of the
time they seem to be selling to idiots, too :-(

I think it's all called "progress" usually.

Now I'm sad.

Did a quick Google and did not find it.

Was that by The Yardbirds in the 60s?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:49:34 GMT, had this to say:

On 31 Oct,
"Ophelia" wrote:

wrote in message ...
On 30 Oct,
"tim...." wrote:

I guess that it isn't the case in Leeds/Bradford, but IME N Yorkshire
market towns have "disk" parking, even in the town centre.

Several local ones have recently contraversially introduced charges.
Stokesley, Thirsk, Northallerton and Bedale.

I get 2 hour free 'disk' parking in Northallerton.

Is that still so after the beginning of October? I thought Stokesley was the
only one in Hambleton able to hold out, due to the parish council owning
rights to the square or it being registered as a common.

Doesn't it seem sad that a local authority (be it simply a parish
council) can't set such things as parking conditions in its own area?

It's a bit like the 'EU' trying to impose rules and regulations on
places like England (other 'EU'-type places such as France just ignore
such regulations (although France would like to control the whole of
'Europe')).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
On 30 Oct,
"tim...." wrote:

I guess that it isn't the case in Leeds/Bradford, but IME N Yorkshire
market towns have "disk" parking, even in the town centre.

Several local ones have recently contraversially introduced charges.
Stokesley, Thirsk, Northallerton and Bedale.

Only places that have free carparks are those no one wants to go to. So
have so few users it's not worth the bother of policing. Elsewhere what
council can resist soaking the motorist?

OI! I like Northallerton

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Y...#Northallerton

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

I get 2 hour free 'disk' parking in Northallerton.

What on earth could anyone find to do in Northallerton that would take
two hours? If someone moved to Northallerton and bought a horse then it
would become a one-horse town.

Each to his/her own I like it Plenty for me to do there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 31 Oct,
"Ophelia" wrote:

wrote in message
On 30 Oct,
"tim...." wrote:

I guess that it isn't the case in Leeds/Bradford, but IME N Yorkshire
market towns have "disk" parking, even in the town centre.

Several local ones have recently contraversially introduced charges.
Stokesley, Thirsk, Northallerton and Bedale.

I get 2 hour free 'disk' parking in Northallerton.

Is that still so after the beginning of October? I thought Stokesley was
the
only one in Hambleton able to hold out, due to the parish council owning
rights to the square or it being registered as a common.

Ahhh now there you have me. I don't know! I was there a couple of weeks
ago though and all seemed normal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
In Hexham the secret is to park in the Tesco carp ark, from where it's
not _too_ far to walk to anywhere in the town. If you call into Tesco
and buy some token item you feel a bit less guilty about using their
fish boat.

Most Tesco par carks these days are 2 hours only! And they police them!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
It's a bit like the 'EU' trying to impose rules and regulations on
places like England (other 'EU'-type places such as France just ignore
such regulations (although France would like to control the whole of
'Europe')).

Aye, regulations like us not being allowed to return goods and get our money
back?? (((((((

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:51:38 -0000, "Ophelia"
had this to say:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
.. .
In Hexham the secret is to park in the Tesco carp ark, from where it's
not _too_ far to walk to anywhere in the town. If you call into Tesco
and buy some token item you feel a bit less guilty about using their
fish boat.

Most Tesco par carks these days are 2 hours only! And they police them!

Two hours are quite long enough to do any shopping.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:51:38 -0000, "Ophelia"
had this to say:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
. ..
In Hexham the secret is to park in the Tesco carp ark, from where it's
not _too_ far to walk to anywhere in the town. If you call into Tesco
and buy some token item you feel a bit less guilty about using their
fish boat.

Most Tesco par carks these days are 2 hours only! And they police them!

Two hours are quite long enough to do any shopping.

Indeed! More than enough for me, anyway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 00:51:10 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:44:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:32:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Why? Do you have to pay for parking?

Not at most supermarkets. But plenty places do charge for parking

In SW London, certainly. In SE England, most of the time.

But that's less likely to be the case in many other regions of the
UK, and that's why the two of you have different opinions.

I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns
outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I
used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to
pay for parking only once or twice a month.

Medway Council regard parking simpy as a revenue source. Charges enforced
until 10:00pm, whole areas where there is no free parking at all, the town
centre is a joke. They don't give a toss about local shops or local
traders.

It's like that around here too. Charges on Sundays. And it's
very expensive too. Almost no free parking (and none near the town
centres).
Also very expensive public transport. As a result less people shop in
the towns anymore.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:29:43 +0000, Frank Erskine
wrote:

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:51:38 -0000, "Ophelia"
had this to say:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
. ..
In Hexham the secret is to park in the Tesco carp ark, from where it's
not _too_ far to walk to anywhere in the town. If you call into Tesco
and buy some token item you feel a bit less guilty about using their
fish boat.

Most Tesco par carks these days are 2 hours only! And they police them!

Two hours are quite long enough to do any shopping.

Much as I would hate to spend 2 hours in Tesco, they do have a
"restaurant" in many and, if they want people to use it, allowing them
more time would be useful. Also parents with babies or disabled
children may take longer than average for shopping.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Don't you carry small change in the car for parking, etc?

Not when I am going to the supermarket.

If you have to take the small change out of the car before going to a
supermarket, I'd move to a less pikey area.

I have a feeling the reason for his answer is different to what you think it
might be. Think less about what's being taking in the car, and more about
how he's getting there in the first place.

You are correct. It's more about forgetting, laziness, not having any
change than fear of theft. When one car of mine was stolen and
recovered the small change was still in the ashtray where I left it.
It was nicked by someone in the recovery company though.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 237721 20091102 093624 Mark wrote:

Medway Council regard parking simpy as a revenue source. Charges enforced
until 10:00pm, whole areas where there is no free parking at all, the town
centre is a joke. They don't give a toss about local shops or local
traders.

It's like that around here too. Charges on Sundays. And it's
very expensive too. Almost no free parking (and none near the town
centres).

I live near Portsmouth and parking charges in the area have gone up by 4 to 8 times
in the last few years. The car park in my nearest village went from a minumum of 5p
to a minimum of 30p with the result that nobody uses it. I rarely see more than half
a dozen cars in it now whereas it always used to be full. I bet some dickhead in the
local council offices is wondering why revenue is down by 95% and is considering
another increase to make it up.

I recently spent 10 days driving round SE France - never once paid for car parking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:10:25 GMT, Bob Martin
wrote:

[...]

If you think 30p is expensive then don't come here! Parking is
normally £1.30 for one hour, £2.50 for two hours etc. (pay and dismay)
-- and that's a cleared building site full of potholes. Decent car
parks can be even more expensive.

When I am on holiday in the UK I am the only one not moaning about the
parking costs. Even very popular places are cheaper than here.

The council often justify parking cost rises to "encourage the use of
public transport". However the bus company always put up their prices
at the same time. Coincidence, I think not.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark
wibbled on Tuesday 03 November 2009 09:12

The council often justify parking cost rises to "encourage the use of
public transport". However the bus company always put up their prices
at the same time. Coincidence, I think not.

And there should be a bloody law against both pay and display and machines
that don't give change. I hated carrying 25 quid in change every week to
feed the station car park machine, and I hate going shopping or to the
hospital and having to guess how long I'll be.
--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/09 19:27, Tim W wrote:

And there should be a bloody law against both pay and display and machines
that don't give change.

Wouldn't be so bad if they gave you extra time pro-rata for the change
they'd withheld, e.g council ones here used to be 60p/hour but if you
put in a quid, no change and you still only got an hour - no wonder
people quite happily give their "non-transferable" ticket to someone
else on the way out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/11/09 19:27, Tim W wrote:

And there should be a bloody law against both pay and display and
machines
that don't give change.

Wouldn't be so bad if they gave you extra time pro-rata for the change
they'd withheld, e.g council ones here used to be 60p/hour but if you put
in a quid, no change and you still only got an hour - no wonder people
quite happily give their "non-transferable" ticket to someone else on the
way out.

There are new machine about which require you to enter your reg and it is
printed on the ticket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/09 20:35, dennis@home wrote:

There are new machine about which require you to enter your reg and it
is printed on the ticket.

Yes, they have started replacing with them, the phrasing is interesting,
it says "enter up to three letters from your car's registration plate"
OWTTE, so one, or zero letters would count as "up to" wouldn't it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:57:08 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Yes, they have started replacing with them, the phrasing is interesting,
it says "enter up to three letters from your car's registration plate"
OWTTE, so one, or zero letters would count as "up to" wouldn't it?

Yes, but what the destructions say and what the machine will let you
do is another matter...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:31:23 +0000 Andy Burns wrote :
Wouldn't be so bad if they gave you extra time pro-rata for the change
they'd withheld, e.g council ones here used to be 60p/hour but if you
put in a quid, no change and you still only got an hour - no wonder
people quite happily give their "non-transferable" ticket to someone
else on the way out.

Conversely there is no reason why a machine that accepts 10p coins
shouldn't give you 10p worth of time if that's all you need, whilst the
ones in LB Richmond generally had a 40p or 60p minimum.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:35:27 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/11/09 19:27, Tim W wrote:

And there should be a bloody law against both pay and display and
machines
that don't give change.

Wouldn't be so bad if they gave you extra time pro-rata for the change
they'd withheld, e.g council ones here used to be 60p/hour but if you
put in a quid, no change and you still only got an hour - no wonder
people quite happily give their "non-transferable" ticket to someone
else on the way out.

There are new machine about which require you to enter your reg and it
is printed on the ticket.

Hardly 'new' - had them for years (pre the new registration formats).
Most of ours only needed the digits, and the user interface for those
that needed letters was so poor that a lot of people couldn't work out
how to use them (they've now been changed to 'number only').

Since there are only about 18 possible numbers in the new registration
scheme (so far) you can usually find someone with a matching number part.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Wouldn't be so bad if they gave you extra time pro-rata for the change
they'd withheld, e.g council ones here used to be 60p/hour but if you
put in a quid, no change and you still only got an hour - no wonder
people quite happily give their "non-transferable" ticket to someone
else on the way out.

I had the misfortune to stop in Fareham, Hants this week. I needed to
collect a package that a relative ordered on t'internet from a shop on
the High Street. The shop was very wary of sending out mail while the
strikes are threatened, so I offered to drop in and pick up the package
as I drive past Fareham from time to time.

It turns out driving past is the right thing to do. It's a minimum of
90p to park, robbing machine that doesn't give change and constantly
circling traffic wardens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
On 03/11/09 19:27, Tim W wrote:

And there should be a bloody law against both pay and display and
machines that don't give change.

Wouldn't be so bad if they gave you extra time pro-rata for the change
they'd withheld, e.g council ones here used to be 60p/hour but if you
put in a quid, no change and you still only got an hour - no wonder
people quite happily give their "non-transferable" ticket to someone
else on the way out.

I've complained to Medway Council about that. Apparently they don't have
the technology. Must be real rocket science to build a machine that give
change or extra time.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 21:34:04 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
On 03/11/09 19:27, Tim W wrote:

And there should be a bloody law against both pay and display and
machines that don't give change.

Wouldn't be so bad if they gave you extra time pro-rata for the change
they'd withheld, e.g council ones here used to be 60p/hour but if you
put in a quid, no change and you still only got an hour - no wonder
people quite happily give their "non-transferable" ticket to someone
else on the way out.

I've complained to Medway Council about that. Apparently they don't
have the technology. Must be real rocket science to build a machine
that give change or extra time.

Tell them to look at the ones Canterbury City Council use in some of
their car parks. The big one off St Radigunds has machines that give you
time for whatever amount you put in, AFAIR.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:27:33 +0000, Tim W had this to
say:

Mark
wibbled on Tuesday 03 November 2009 09:12

The council often justify parking cost rises to "encourage the use of
public transport". However the bus company always put up their prices
at the same time. Coincidence, I think not.

And there should be a bloody law against both pay and display and machines
that don't give change. I hated carrying 25 quid in change every week to
feed the station car park machine, and I hate going shopping or to the
hospital

Parking at or around our local main hospital is dreadful. I just
realised the other day (when about to visit a fiend) that there's a
'free' shuttle minibus service to/from the hospital (financed, I
think, by the Hospital trust) that runs every 30 minuets to/from my
local Sainsbury car park which is about a 10 minuet walk from here
(although I usually drive there, being a lazy sod).
I gather that JS are quite happy about it, because hospital visitors
tend to buy the ubiquitous grapes and Lucozade there to take to the
patients.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 00:09:50 +0000, Frank Erskine
wrote:

[...]

I have to visit the local hospital quite regularly as an outpatient.
Up to two years ago, parking was difficult. Since then, a number of
"improvements" have been made.

A significant part of the hospital trust's land has been sold off for
housing. An ASDA store is being built on hospital land. Several new
hospital buildings have been built on former car parks. Part of the
largest public car park has been given over to hospital staff. It is
now virtually impossible to get a parking space unless you arrive
before 8:15 AM.

Fortunately, a company has been employed to operate the car park
ticketing system, issue penalty tickets and, in extremis, clamp cars
that are illegally parked.

Oh, what fun. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
Parking at or around our local main hospital is dreadful.

Same here. Not only is the car park expensive, but the council have
matched those rates in surrounding streets. About double the normal rate
elsewhere in the borough.

I just
realised the other day (when about to visit a fiend) that there's a
'free' shuttle minibus service to/from the hospital (financed, I
think, by the Hospital trust) that runs every 30 minuets to/from my
local Sainsbury car park which is about a 10 minuet walk from here
(although I usually drive there, being a lazy sod).

There's one bus service that goes through the hospital grounds with stops
at different places. Every 20 minutes - but not free.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:27:33 +0000, Tim W wrote:

Mark
wibbled on Tuesday 03 November 2009 09:12

The council often justify parking cost rises to "encourage the use of
public transport". However the bus company always put up their prices
at the same time. Coincidence, I think not.

And there should be a bloody law against both pay and display and machines
that don't give change. I hated carrying 25 quid in change every week to
feed the station car park machine, and I hate going shopping or to the
hospital and having to guess how long I'll be.

And then there's the car parks you visit for the first time and you
are still expected to have the right change, even before you know how
much it costs.

And the pay and dismay car parks where it costs a different amount
depending on where you park. Once I got a ticket because I parked on
the wrong side of an invisible line.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:27:33 +0000, Tim W had this to
say:

Mark
wibbled on Tuesday 03 November 2009 09:12

The council often justify parking cost rises to "encourage the use of
public transport". However the bus company always put up their prices
at the same time. Coincidence, I think not.

And there should be a bloody law against both pay and display and machines
that don't give change. I hated carrying 25 quid in change every week to
feed the station car park machine, and I hate going shopping or to the
hospital

Parking at or around our local main hospital is dreadful.

Here too.

Hospitals are the worst. What moron thought that pay and dismay is
suitable for a Hospital car park? As an outpatient how the **** you do
know how long you are going to be kept waiting?

Last time I visited my local hospital I had to take my son to casualty
for a suspected broken toe. I did not have enough money so had to
leave him on his own to have a long conversation with the bloody car
park attendant to avoid fines/clamping/towing away. It's a disgrace
IMHO.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Hospitals are the worst. What moron thought that pay and dismay is
suitable for a Hospital car park? As an outpatient how the **** you do
know how long you are going to be kept waiting?

Last time I visited my local hospital I had to take my son to casualty
for a suspected broken toe. I did not have enough money so had to
leave him on his own to have a long conversation with the bloody car
park attendant to avoid fines/clamping/towing away. It's a disgrace
IMHO.

Think you need to look beyond the obvious. Think how many work at or visit
a hospital each day. To provide free unlimited parking would be impossible
at most. And it would likely be difficult to provide free parking for
'emergencies' as that could be a minor cut to some and a heart attack to
others.
Of course it might be more easy if you built new hospitals on out of town
sites - like shopping malls - but what is more important, them being close
to those needing them or free parking?

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
Parking at or around our local main hospital is dreadful.

Same here. Not only is the car park expensive, but the council have
matched those rates in surrounding streets. About double the normal rate
elsewhere in the borough.

They have to, if they didn't the surrounding streets would be full and the
hospital empty.

The alternative is resident only parking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:22:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
[...]

Of course I've looked "beyond the obvious" as you so rudely put it.
Nowhere was I proposing providing "unlimited free parking". A bit of
common sense should prevail. Providing free parking for emergencies
would be sensible and there are many ways to achieve this.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:22:44 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Last time I visited my local hospital I had to take my son to

casualty
for a suspected broken toe. I did not have enough money so had to
leave him on his own to have a long conversation with the bloody

car
park attendant to avoid fines/clamping/towing away. It's a

disgrace
IMHO.

Think you need to look beyond the obvious. Think how many work at or
visit a hospital each day.

The workers have staff carparks with barriers and card access.

Visitors would be better catered for with a pay on exit system.

Of course it might be more easy if you built new hospitals on out of
town sites - like shopping malls - but what is more important, them
being close to those needing them or free parking?

Considering the huge areas that hospitals cater for these days out of
town would be better IMHO. It takes about 40 mins to get to the
outskirts of Carlisle from here and then another 30 to 60 mins
depending on time of day to cross the city to get to the hospital...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:22:44 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Think you need to look beyond the obvious. Think how many work at or
visit a hospital each day. To provide free unlimited parking would be
impossible at most. And it would likely be difficult to provide free
parking for 'emergencies' as that could be a minor cut to some and a
heart attack to others.
Of course it might be more easy if you built new hospitals on out of
town
sites - like shopping malls - but what is more important, them being
close to those needing them or free parking?

Pay on exit would be more logical...but not perhaps as profitable, as
people would pay for what they actually use, and 'going over' fines due
to long treatment times would be less common!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 17:20:54 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Considering the huge areas that hospitals cater for these days out of
town would be better IMHO. It takes about 40 mins to get to the
outskirts of Carlisle from here and then another 30 to 60 mins depending
on time of day to cross the city to get to the hospital...

My latest appointment letter advises me to allow 30 minutes for parking.
The car park is far too small at two of the nearest hospitals and all
they have is a laughable 'parking team, happy to help' who say 'nothing
we can do, guv' and then slap tickets on any car they can.