Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default B&Q self checkout machines

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:23:40 -0500, Jules
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:35:33 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:
And don't you get sick of the empty 'Do you need any help packing?' so
many stores train them to say.

"Do you have a Nectar card?"

If I had one I'd've given it to you already.

This side of the Pond it's always "did you find everything you need?"... I
think next time I'll just go straight to the checkout with my shopping
list and just hand it to them to see what happens. Maybe they'll navigate
the crowded aisles and hunt out everything for me.

They have some self-service checkouts at one of the DIY sheds and one
of the supermarkets here - but they always seem to have a staff member for
each one who then checks every single item to make sure customers aren't
trying to screw them. How the hell does that make *any* sense? It needs
just as many employees to run, the self-service checkouts must be more
expensive than the usual ones, and a trained operator will be able
to get people through a checkout far quicker than they will themselves,
thus reducing queues.

What's great is that the staff and the customers, at least those of
them which are still compos-mentis very quickly learn the quirks of
the terminal software.

Limes ? are they sold "each", by the pack, or "by weight",

Why is there no picture of a Lime ?

B&Q Diamond card - how to get your discount?

Enter it as a voucher ? Nooooooo

It's got a hidden menu page all of it's own.

Technology just for the sake of it, it seems.

Derek