Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default B&Q self checkout machines

michael adams wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:50:10 -0000, "michael adams"
had this to say:

Jimmy Gulliver actually. The Scotch bloke who ran Argyll foods who owned
Presto among other stores. Jimmy Goldsmith was the looney memeber of the Cleremont
Set who sued Private Eye and stood for Parliament, and owned Marmite and other brands
under his Cavenham Foods label. Gulliver bought them as late as 1987 and
it was downhill after that. Mainly under his successor Alastair Grant. They
were doing o.k. before he bought them as well. Later on they had another revamp
with fancy lighting etc but the magic had gone. Just remembered they really went
downmarket near the end with special offers on Pringles in almost every aisle
and loads of other "offers". There were probably still warehousefuls of
unsold Pringles when Morrison bought them out.

Morrisons is a bit downmarket, but they do have a very good range of
cheeses.

Yup. Morrisons is one of the few places around you can get light soy sauce
among other things the other one being Waitrose. Go in there once a week.

Pity about the checkouts...

Dunno if you're referring to the self-service ones. A while ago they were always
breaking down. Now instead the woman's voice drives you mad - "please put the item
in the bag" 0.00000001 secs after you've scanned it. For every single item. I've
started talking back to the machine now, "yes I know dear " "alright alright just
wait a minute" even with a queue of people waiting. I'll probably get carted off
one of these days.

That is the biggest reason I hate them. I often think I would put my
fist through one, if I had to use one. The only time I have used one, an
assistant did everything for me, except entering my pin number :-)

I watched our daughter use one in Portsmouth Tesco and it took her ten
minutes, two assistants and two tills to get her goods.

Titless tills, they are doomed, or should that be damned?

Dave