Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q self checkout machines

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:38:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
I'd like to hear about a town where all the carparks are free...

There probably aren't many such towns, but there are plenty of towns
outside the south east where there is at least *some* free parking. I
used to live in Yorkshire and almost always parked for free. I had to
pay for parking only once or twice a month.

There are free car parks round here too. Things like shopping centres.
But if you prefer to wander round High Street shops rather than a
purpose built centre you'll likely have to pay to park. So I'd guess no
different from anywhere else.

You guessed wrong. I used to park free of charge very close to the
town centre in Yorkshire.

I 'used to' park free too. Even outside my front door.

There were 30 minute, 1 hour and 2 hour
spaces, all free of charge, but the 2 hour spaces were a little
further away and only rarely vacant.

There are a number of free parking spaces in most areas here too. Provided
you can find a vacant one.

There were privately owned car parks that charged; these were used by
people who needed longer stays or couldn't find a free parking space. I
used those for less than one trip in ten.

So you're implying no council owned car parks that charge? Have you been
there recently?

I suppose to someone who doesn't venture out of the south east very
often, this must seem unusual. But it is the norm in many parts of
the north.

There are occasions where the easy way out is simply to pay for parking.
And to facilitate this I keep change in my car - it even has a slot marked
'coins' for this. So hardly as unusual as you seem to think. Those coins
can also be used for the odd toll - or even as the deposit for a
supermarket trolley. Which is where I came in...

BTW, I'd suggest you visit some of the touristy places 'up north' if you
think free parking is the norm there.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.