Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT tv speakers

Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers on
a 26" lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it significantly
worse than a CRT? If so, is there any way to run external speakers that
can be controlled with the tv remote? TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
m...
Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers on a
26" lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it significantly worse
than a CRT? If so, is there any way to run external speakers that can be
controlled with the tv remote? TIA

Our main TV source is the freeview box/PVR, which sends the sound to the
main stereo. Volume can be controlled either via the freeview box or the
main amp. Beats any internal TV speakers by miles. I think I can do the same
with the DVD player, though don't try that nearly so often.

I realise that doesn't answer your question exactly, but thought it may give
you different ideas :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
m...
Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers on a
26" lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it significantly worse
than a CRT? If so, is there any way to run external speakers that can be
controlled with the tv remote? TIA

Our main TV source is the freeview box/PVR, which sends the sound to the
main stereo. Volume can be controlled either via the freeview box or the
main amp. Beats any internal TV speakers by miles. I think I can do the same
with the DVD player, though don't try that nearly so often.

I realise that doesn't answer your question exactly, but thought it may give
you different ideas :-)

Yes, thanks. Interesting that your freeview remote effectively controls
the tv volume. Does this mean that an amplified speaker can be
controlled by the tv remote? With two volume controls how would you know
which levels to set? Trial and error?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble formulated the question :
Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers on a 26"
lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it significantly worse than a
CRT? If so, is there any way to run external speakers that can be controlled
with the tv remote? TIA

Sound from modern flat screen TV's is dire, in part due to them having
no side depth and the box being not much bigger than the screen size.

If the set has outputs for external speakers, then buy some. Failing
that, feed the L+R low level outputs to a stereo system. Even better
would be even a cheap Home Cinema system. Mine includes a DVD + radio.
I do though find on live studio feeds that I can hear noises from
outside the studios, like passing cars with their stereos on full
blast.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble was thinking very hard :
Yes, thanks. Interesting that your freeview remote effectively controls the
tv volume. Does this mean that an amplified speaker can be controlled by the
tv remote? With two volume controls how would you know which levels to set?
Trial and error?

You can buy programable remotes and mix the features of two systems so
it controls TV and stereo (for volume only) within the same control
set.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart
Noble writes
Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers on
a 26" lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it significantly
worse than a CRT? If so, is there any way to run external speakers that
can be controlled with the tv remote? TIA

Asking the bleedingly obvious question - do you have speaker outputs on
the TV?

Every modern TV I've come across does have somewhere

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Stuart Noble was thinking very hard :
Yes, thanks. Interesting that your freeview remote effectively
controls the tv volume. Does this mean that an amplified speaker can
be controlled by the tv remote? With two volume controls how would
you know which levels to set? Trial and error?

You can buy programable remotes and mix the features of two systems so
it controls TV and stereo (for volume only) within the same control set.

You could also buy an expensive Logitech Harmony One (£125) remote and
then drop one of the surround sound speakers on the display

BUGGER, BUGGER, BUGGER !!!

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 9:11*pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Stuart Noble formulated the question :

Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers on a 26"
lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it significantly worse than a
CRT? If so, is there any way to run external speakers that can be controlled
with the tv remote? TIA

Sound from modern flat screen TV's is dire, in part due to them having
no side depth and the box being not much bigger than the screen size.

yes, its inevitable. But be grateful for progress.... Had a blast from
a 1950s tv a few years back, and christ was it bad. Very little cone
travel, stiff paper suspension and probably valve bias way off.

If modern TVs used the rear plastic case cover as a flat panel speaker
for lowish frequencies they'd do better.

You could connect some vaguely decent speakers to the internal speaker
connections. Any ok quality small bookshelf stereo speakers of
freecycle should do, eg celestion etc. The other option is to bypass
the tv sound amp/speakers entirely and connect something mildly decent
to your decoder box.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers on
a 26" lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it significantly
worse than a CRT? If so, is there any way to run external speakers that
can be controlled with the tv remote? TIA

IMHO no TV ever made has speakers which do justice to the transmitted
sound. External ones are a better bet. Decent ones will also have rather
longer a life than the TV. Better sets should have adequate power amps to
drive reasonably efficient ones.

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
yes, its inevitable. But be grateful for progress.... Had a blast from
a 1950s tv a few years back, and christ was it bad. Very little cone
travel, stiff paper suspension and probably valve bias way off.

405 line TVs had AM sound with poorly designed IF strips limiting the HF
even more than the transmissions. Although very early ones made some
attempts to get it right.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff wrote:
Asking the bleedingly obvious question - do you have speaker outputs on
the TV?

Every modern TV I've come across does have somewhere

Many don't have *speaker* outputs - although I'd expect a decent one to
have them. Pretty well all have line outputs, though.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
geoff wrote:
Asking the bleedingly obvious question - do you have speaker outputs
on the TV?

Every modern TV I've come across does have somewhere

Many don't have *speaker* outputs - although I'd expect a decent one
to have them. Pretty well all have line outputs, though.

Yes indeed - and this appears to be a problem to the OP, because the set's
remote doesn't control the volume (or mute) the line output. Therefore, if
you feed the line out into (say) a hi-fi system, you need a separate means
of controlling the volume.

I guess this is something which most of us learn to live with. When
watching - for example - the last night of the proms, I mute the TV sound
and control the volume with my hi-fi remote - but this does, of course,
require *two* remotes.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 00:10:51 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

IMHO no TV ever made has speakers which do justice to the transmitted
sound.

Oh I donno my 1985 vintage Panasonic Prism A1 had pretty good sound.
Being at 26" 4:3 there is loads of room in the box for proper
enclosed speaker cabinets. IIRC there is a 1" tweeter and 4 or 5"
main driver. Fair bit of umph (for a telly) available as well 25W
RMS? This set was bought on the basis of having good sound mind.

Pity it's stopped wanting to play, I suspect a diode in the PSU. At
least there is a large diode with a brown coat and scorched PCB...

I've not listened in anger to modern sets other than the cheap stuff
you find in hotels and they really are dire. 3" speaker mounted
directly on the flexible and rattley external cabinet and no rear
enclosure.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Stuart
Noble writes
Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers
on a 26" lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it
significantly worse than a CRT? If so, is there any way to run
external speakers that can be controlled with the tv remote? TIA

Asking the bleedingly obvious question - do you have speaker outputs on
the TV?

Every modern TV I've come across does have somewhere

I haven't got the tv yet but the one I'm looking at (Panasonic TX-26LXD8)has
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
geoff wrote:
Asking the bleedingly obvious question - do you have speaker outputs
on the TV?
Every modern TV I've come across does have somewhere

Many don't have *speaker* outputs - although I'd expect a decent one
to have them. Pretty well all have line outputs, though.

Yes indeed - and this appears to be a problem to the OP, because the set's
remote doesn't control the volume (or mute) the line output. Therefore, if
you feed the line out into (say) a hi-fi system, you need a separate means
of controlling the volume.

I guess this is something which most of us learn to live with. When
watching - for example - the last night of the proms, I mute the TV sound
and control the volume with my hi-fi remote - but this does, of course,
require *two* remotes.

I'm basically quite happy with the sound from my CRT set but the output
isn't specified in the manual. I'm more interested in hearing what
people say in American movies than music reproduction, "The Wire" being
a prime example.
Am I right in thinking that a pair of amplified speakers could be set to
a mid range volume and the tv remote used to make fine adjustment? That
way I wouldn't need the extra remote.
I'm still not clear whether the audio out would drive, say, a pair of 10
watt passive speakers and, if so, would they be any improvement over the
2 x 10w built in speakers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 7:56*pm, Stuart Noble wrote:
Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers on
a 26" lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it significantly
worse than a CRT? If so, is there any way to run external speakers that
can be controlled with the tv remote? TIA

With TVs there is typically a headphone socket that mutes the interna;
speakers. i run a cable from that into the HiFi amplifier. the TV
remote continues to control the volume.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 12:14*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *NT wrote:

yes, its inevitable. But be grateful for progress.... Had a blast from
a 1950s tv a few years back, and christ was it bad. Very little cone
travel, stiff paper suspension and probably valve bias way off.

405 line TVs had AM sound with poorly designed IF strips limiting the HF
even more than the transmissions. Although very early ones made some
attempts to get it right.

Surely the 405 line TVs used FM for the sound with AM for the spot
brightness modulation.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 05:43:38 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
had this to say:

On Oct 6, 12:14*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *NT wrote:

yes, its inevitable. But be grateful for progress.... Had a blast from
a 1950s tv a few years back, and christ was it bad. Very little cone
travel, stiff paper suspension and probably valve bias way off.

405 line TVs had AM sound with poorly designed IF strips limiting the HF
even more than the transmissions. Although very early ones made some
attempts to get it right.

Surely the 405 line TVs used FM for the sound with AM for the spot
brightness modulation.

No - in the UK the 405-line system used AM sound.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
On Oct 6, 12:14 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
NT wrote:

yes, its inevitable. But be grateful for progress.... Had a blast from
a 1950s tv a few years back, and christ was it bad. Very little cone
travel, stiff paper suspension and probably valve bias way off.

405 line TVs had AM sound with poorly designed IF strips limiting the HF
even more than the transmissions. Although very early ones made some
attempts to get it right.

Surely the 405 line TVs used FM for the sound with AM for the spot
brightness modulation.

Robert

625 certainly did that, not sure about 405 though, Might well have been AM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 05:43:38 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
had this to say:

On Oct 6, 12:14 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
NT wrote:

yes, its inevitable. But be grateful for progress.... Had a blast from
a 1950s tv a few years back, and christ was it bad. Very little cone
travel, stiff paper suspension and probably valve bias way off.
405 line TVs had AM sound with poorly designed IF strips limiting the HF
even more than the transmissions. Although very early ones made some
attempts to get it right.

Surely the 405 line TVs used FM for the sound with AM for the spot
brightness modulation.

No - in the UK the 405-line system used AM sound.

he's right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/405-line_television_system

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Am I right in thinking that a pair of amplified speakers could be set
to a mid range volume and the tv remote used to make fine adjustment?
That way I wouldn't need the extra remote.

If you mean using both internal and external speakers at the same time, and
adjusting only the volume of the internal ones, that would probably work -
but the mute button would only mute the internal speakers, and the external
ones would carry on.

I'm still not clear whether the audio out would drive, say, a pair of
10 watt passive speakers and, if so, would they be any improvement
over the 2 x 10w built in speakers.

No! The audio out is a low level signal from a high (several K-ohm)
impedance source, and needs to go into an amplifier. To drive passive
speakers you need to be able to deliver much higher currents from a very low
(a few ohms) impedance source.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I'm basically quite happy with the sound from my CRT set but the output
isn't specified in the manual. I'm more interested in hearing what
people say in American movies than music reproduction, "The Wire" being
a prime example.
Am I right in thinking that a pair of amplified speakers could be set to
a mid range volume and the tv remote used to make fine adjustment? That
way I wouldn't need the extra remote.

They could but are likely poor value compared to passive types.

I'm still not clear whether the audio out would drive, say, a pair of 10
watt passive speakers and, if so, would they be any improvement over the
2 x 10w built in speakers.

10 watts will drive most speakers to a more than adequate level for
ordinary TV listening. And pretty well any half decent speakers at say
80-100 quid will knock spots off the internal ones.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Am I right in thinking that a pair of amplified speakers could be set
to a mid range volume and the tv remote used to make fine adjustment?
That way I wouldn't need the extra remote.

If you mean using both internal and external speakers at the same time, and
adjusting only the volume of the internal ones, that would probably work -
but the mute button would only mute the internal speakers, and the external
ones would carry on.

Ah, so the audio out is independent of the tv remote? It's beginning to
sound like I need speakers and another remote. God help us :-)

I'm still not clear whether the audio out would drive, say, a pair of
10 watt passive speakers and, if so, would they be any improvement
over the 2 x 10w built in speakers.

No! The audio out is a low level signal from a high (several K-ohm)
impedance source, and needs to go into an amplifier. To drive passive
speakers you need to be able to deliver much higher currents from a very low
(a few ohms) impedance source.

Right, that's that sorted. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
On Oct 5, 7:56 pm, Stuart Noble wrote:
Anyone got any opinions about the sound quality of built in speakers on
a 26" lcd tv? 2 x 10 watts seems to be the norm. Is it significantly
worse than a CRT? If so, is there any way to run external speakers that
can be controlled with the tv remote? TIA

With TVs there is typically a headphone socket that mutes the interna;
speakers. i run a cable from that into the HiFi amplifier. the TV
remote continues to control the volume.

Robert

My hi fi is some distance away, so that wouldn't work for me, but I
wonder if the headphone output is the same volume as the audio out. If
so, I could just use multi media speakers and leave the things switched
on. Remote controlled amplified speakers don't seem to be generally
available, and it looks like it's cheaper to buy a mini hi fi system.

I can't believe there aren't tvs where the audio out is capable of
driving a pair of modest speakers. Would seem like the obvious solution
to the tinny audio problem
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
RobertL wrote:
[...]

hedahpones npora,,ly dribve via 100W resiotors to protect yiour sheel likes

Open up the set, and disconnect the internal speakers and wire to your
own favourites, grab the input electrolytic and feel the power of Jesus..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
RobertL wrote:
[...]

More tonic and less gin I think :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I can't believe there aren't tvs where the audio out is capable of
driving a pair of modest speakers. Would seem like the obvious solution
to the tinny audio problem

10 watts a channel is more than adequate for normal TV listening. Remember
audio is a non linear thing - to double the subjective level requires an
amp of about 4 times the power output.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I can't believe there aren't tvs where the audio out is capable of
driving a pair of modest speakers. Would seem like the obvious
solution to the tinny audio problem

10 watts a channel is more than adequate for normal TV listening.
Remember audio is a non linear thing - to double the subjective level
requires an amp of about 4 times the power output.

If the set has outputs for external speakers, that's fine. But my impression
is the OP has only a line output - which will deliver only milliwatts, and
require an external amp of some sort.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:20:47 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I can't believe there aren't tvs where the audio out is capable of
driving a pair of modest speakers. Would seem like the obvious
solution to the tinny audio problem

10 watts a channel is more than adequate for normal TV listening.
Remember audio is a non linear thing - to double the subjective level
requires an amp of about 4 times the power output.

If the set has outputs for external speakers, that's fine. But my impression
is the OP has only a line output - which will deliver only milliwatts, and
require an external amp of some sort.

Just tried a pair of powered PC speakers on the TV. Output is 2 'jacks',
red and black; speaker input is the same but the other end of the lead is
just a small jack for a PC, so I couldn't connect that.
Shoved the small jack in to the TV's headphone outlet, turned on both (with
the speaker volume down to zero, wound up the volume and it worked.
Bit weak at first, so set speakers to max. bass and min. treble and the
result was marginally better than the TV.
Took the speakers off as it wasn't worth the clutter for the result.

Next: see if I can wire the TV to the amp. and then to the KEFs :-)
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I can't believe there aren't tvs where the audio out is capable of
driving a pair of modest speakers. Would seem like the obvious
solution to the tinny audio problem

10 watts a channel is more than adequate for normal TV listening.
Remember audio is a non linear thing - to double the subjective level
requires an amp of about 4 times the power output.

If the set has outputs for external speakers, that's fine. But my impression
is the OP has only a line output - which will deliver only milliwatts, and
require an external amp of some sort.

I haven't got the tv yet but nothing in the spec tells me what sort of
line output it has.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:20:47 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

Suggests that the output on the headphone socket is only sufficient for
headphones. If it was the same strength as audio out I suppose it might
wreck your phones or your ear drums.

Next: see if I can wire the TV to the amp. and then to the KEFs :-)

Yes, I'm thinking of moving the hi-fi over to the tv. Either that or
pick up a 28" Sony CRT on EBay for a tenner! I really can't see what I'd
gain in terms of space or quality by changing to lcd.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 09:39:56 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

[...]

Well yes, I knew that it would be far less than for the speakers but more
than that for powered speakers, which is why I started with the volume on
0. Didn't want to wreck the TV or my ears!

Next: see if I can wire the TV to the amp. and then to the KEFs :-)

Yes, I'm thinking of moving the hi-fi over to the tv. Either that or
pick up a 28" Sony CRT on EBay for a tenner! I really can't see what I'd
gain in terms of space or quality by changing to lcd.

My 24", 3 yo, Philips CRT has better[1] sound than a brand new Toshiba 32"
panel - and more choices for it. It's just Last Night etc. where a bit of
oomph would be nice.

[1] less bad
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I can't believe there aren't tvs where the audio out is capable of
driving a pair of modest speakers. Would seem like the obvious
solution to the tinny audio problem
10 watts a channel is more than adequate for normal TV listening.
Remember audio is a non linear thing - to double the subjective
level requires an amp of about 4 times the power output.

If the set has outputs for external speakers, that's fine. But my
impression is the OP has only a line output - which will deliver
only milliwatts, and require an external amp of some sort.

I haven't got the tv yet but nothing in the spec tells me what sort of
line output it has.

Remind me what set it is, and I'll see if I can find any hidden clues in the
spec.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I can't believe there aren't tvs where the audio out is capable of
driving a pair of modest speakers. Would seem like the obvious
solution to the tinny audio problem
10 watts a channel is more than adequate for normal TV listening.
Remember audio is a non linear thing - to double the subjective
level requires an amp of about 4 times the power output.
If the set has outputs for external speakers, that's fine. But my
impression is the OP has only a line output - which will deliver
only milliwatts, and require an external amp of some sort.

I haven't got the tv yet but nothing in the spec tells me what sort of
line output it has.

Remind me what set it is, and I'll see if I can find any hidden clues in the
spec.

Panasonic TX-26LXD8.
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...552/index.html

Many thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

Remind me what set it is, and I'll see if I can find any hidden
clues in the spec.

Panasonic TX-26LXD8.
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...552/index.html

The spec itself isn't very explicit, but says that audio out is via two RCA
(phono) plugs - which usually means an un-amplified line output.

In the URL which you quote, there is an option to download an operating
manual. The spec on P57 of that explicitly says 0.5v RMS (High impedance).
This means - as I suspected - that this output will *not* drive passive
speakers without an intermediate amplifier.

FWIW, the same audio output signals are also carried on the appropriate pins
of the SCART plugs - should you want the connect them to anything which has
SCART at the other end.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Remind me what set it is, and I'll see if I can find any hidden clues
in the spec.

Panasonic TX-26LXD8.
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...552/index.html

No speaker outlets on the spec. But then it's described as a 'bedroom' set.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
They used AM sound. The sound IF was at 30odd megs and was wide
bandwidth, and did not restrict the audio bandwdth. AM radios have an IF
of about 0.45 MHz, and just that difference will reduce bandwidth on MF
radio (as compared to 405 TV sound by a factor of about 75.

In practice most sets did. When BBC 2 started with FM sound it added an
extra octave or so at the top end via the average receiver.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

Remind me what set it is, and I'll see if I can find any hidden
clues in the spec.

Panasonic TX-26LXD8.
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...552/index.html

The spec itself isn't very explicit, but says that audio out is via two RCA
(phono) plugs - which usually means an un-amplified line output.

In the URL which you quote, there is an option to download an operating
manual. The spec on P57 of that explicitly says 0.5v RMS (High impedance).
This means - as I suspected - that this output will *not* drive passive
speakers without an intermediate amplifier.

FWIW, the same audio output signals are also carried on the appropriate pins
of the SCART plugs - should you want the connect them to anything which has
SCART at the other end.

Thanks, Roger. Much appreciated.
Looks like I'm going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the
surround sound world!
How practical would it be to get a cheap ASDA set, ditch the 5 small
speakers, and use the amp/sub woofer/remote control with a couple of 16
watt mini hi-fi speakers I have lying around? They do a 40 watt and a 70
watt system and I'm guessing either would be enough. As I'll only be
sitting 2 metres from the tv, I really don't need home theatre stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Remind me what set it is, and I'll see if I can find any hidden clues
in the spec.

Panasonic TX-26LXD8.
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...552/index.html

No speaker outlets on the spec. But then it's described as a 'bedroom' set.

My living room is about the size of a bedroom :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 01:19:46 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

On 6 Oct, 23:21, PeterC wrote:
Just tried a pair of powered PC speakers on the TV. Output is 2 'jacks',
red and black; speaker input is the same but the other end of the lead is
just a small jack for a PC, so I couldn't connect that.

So unless I'm being really fick a phono-phono lead from the poundshop
would connect TV to speakers?

Owain

Yes, but it was only a test to see if there was any real change - and my
nearest shop with such leads is a 2h trip.
It wasn't worth any trouble, as the speakers aren't good ones. I'd like a
2.0 set-up with reasonable speakers (hence amp. and KEF); don't really want
2.1 as I dislike false bass and there's not enough good stuff on TV to
warrant much trouble or expense (now Radio 3...).
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

A couple of speakers - speakers.jpg (0/1) [email protected] Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 May 8th 09 10:11 PM
A couple of speakers - speakers.jpg (1/1) [email protected] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 May 8th 09 03:06 AM
OT - PC Speakers Davao UK diy 6 March 3rd 08 02:23 PM
Wireless Speakers: RCA Speakers Only Work when on Same Electrical Outlet as Transmitter / What is Problem? Lin Electronics Repair 11 April 24th 07 08:37 PM
Speakers bodger UK diy 38 December 14th 06 01:51 PM