Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default OT tv speakers

Roger Mills wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Am I right in thinking that a pair of amplified speakers could be set
to a mid range volume and the tv remote used to make fine adjustment?
That way I wouldn't need the extra remote.

If you mean using both internal and external speakers at the same time, and
adjusting only the volume of the internal ones, that would probably work -
but the mute button would only mute the internal speakers, and the external
ones would carry on.

Ah, so the audio out is independent of the tv remote? It's beginning to
sound like I need speakers and another remote. God help us :-)

I'm still not clear whether the audio out would drive, say, a pair of
10 watt passive speakers and, if so, would they be any improvement
over the 2 x 10w built in speakers.

No! The audio out is a low level signal from a high (several K-ohm)
impedance source, and needs to go into an amplifier. To drive passive
speakers you need to be able to deliver much higher currents from a very low
(a few ohms) impedance source.

Right, that's that sorted. Thanks.