Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default OT tv speakers

Stuart Noble wrote:

Am I right in thinking that a pair of amplified speakers could be set
to a mid range volume and the tv remote used to make fine adjustment?
That way I wouldn't need the extra remote.

If you mean using both internal and external speakers at the same time, and
adjusting only the volume of the internal ones, that would probably work -
but the mute button would only mute the internal speakers, and the external
ones would carry on.

I'm still not clear whether the audio out would drive, say, a pair of
10 watt passive speakers and, if so, would they be any improvement
over the 2 x 10w built in speakers.

No! The audio out is a low level signal from a high (several K-ohm)
impedance source, and needs to go into an amplifier. To drive passive
speakers you need to be able to deliver much higher currents from a very low
(a few ohms) impedance source.
--
Cheers,
Roger