Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default OT tv speakers

Roger Mills wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
geoff wrote:
Asking the bleedingly obvious question - do you have speaker outputs
on the TV?
Every modern TV I've come across does have somewhere

Many don't have *speaker* outputs - although I'd expect a decent one
to have them. Pretty well all have line outputs, though.

Yes indeed - and this appears to be a problem to the OP, because the set's
remote doesn't control the volume (or mute) the line output. Therefore, if
you feed the line out into (say) a hi-fi system, you need a separate means
of controlling the volume.

I guess this is something which most of us learn to live with. When
watching - for example - the last night of the proms, I mute the TV sound
and control the volume with my hi-fi remote - but this does, of course,
require *two* remotes.

I'm basically quite happy with the sound from my CRT set but the output
isn't specified in the manual. I'm more interested in hearing what
people say in American movies than music reproduction, "The Wire" being
a prime example.
Am I right in thinking that a pair of amplified speakers could be set to
a mid range volume and the tv remote used to make fine adjustment? That
way I wouldn't need the extra remote.
I'm still not clear whether the audio out would drive, say, a pair of 10
watt passive speakers and, if so, would they be any improvement over the
2 x 10w built in speakers.