Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - PC Speakers

Hi all.
I have an old altec lansing speakers from the first dell I bought
...er 10 years ago.
Every sound that comes out of them now has BRRRR sound every 10 to 15
seconds.
Is it time to junk them or is it a virus or something?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote:
Hi all.
I have an old altec lansing speakers from the first dell I bought
..er 10 years ago.
Every sound that comes out of them now has BRRRR sound every 10 to 15
seconds.
Is it time to junk them or is it a virus or something?

Thanks.

Arthur

Change the electrolytics in the amp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 2, 3:57*pm, Davao wrote:
Hi all.
I have an old altec lansing speakers from the first dell I bought
..er 10 years ago.
Every sound that comes out of them now has BRRRR sound every 10 to 15
seconds.
Is it time to junk them or is it a virus or something?

Thanks.

Arthur

Hi

The first thing I would do is disconnect them from the computer and
connect them to something else. It's a 50:50 chance at the moment that
the problem lies either with the PC or your speakers.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote:

Hi all.
I have an old altec lansing speakers from the first dell I bought
..er 10 years ago.
Every sound that comes out of them now has BRRRR sound every 10 to 15
seconds.
Is it time to junk them or is it a virus or something?

Thanks.

Arthur

all items in the chain are possibles. As said, try them on something
else. Not powering them off the pc are you? That can cause probs
like that

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davao wrote in
:

I have an old altec lansing speakers from the first dell I bought
..er 10 years ago.
Every sound that comes out of them now has BRRRR sound every 10 to
15 seconds.
Is it time to junk them or is it a virus or something?

Not a fix I'm afraid, but if you do decide to replace them I can
thoroughly recommend the Aego M speakers. Bought mine a couple of weeks
ago from Amazon.

Not cheap - and I now see the price has gone up by £26!!! - but they
really are astonishingly good. Aside from the excellent sound quality,
they can produce incredibly loud, neighbour annoying, gut thumping
bass, if you're into that kind of thing...

Kind regards

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Richard Perkin wrote:
Davao wrote in
:

I have an old altec lansing speakers from the first dell I bought
..er 10 years ago.
Every sound that comes out of them now has BRRRR sound every 10 to
15 seconds.
Is it time to junk them or is it a virus or something?

Not a fix I'm afraid, but if you do decide to replace them I can
thoroughly recommend the Aego M speakers. Bought mine a couple of weeks
ago from Amazon.

Not cheap - and I now see the price has gone up by �26!!! - but they
really are astonishingly good. Aside from the excellent sound quality,
they can produce incredibly loud, neighbour annoying, gut thumping
bass, if you're into that kind of thing...

I bought some (not sure of model designation) and there are the best of
the class (PC speakers) I have ever heard. And if you go to their
website, they sometimes have some at very much reduced prices for one
reason or another. (Damn, if I tell you that, they will have sold out
when I want some more.)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote in
:

Richard Perkin wrote:
Davao wrote in
:

I have an old altec lansing speakers from the first dell I
bought ..er 10 years ago.
Every sound that comes out of them now has BRRRR sound every 10
to 15 seconds.
Is it time to junk them or is it a virus or something?

Not a fix I'm afraid, but if you do decide to replace them I can
thoroughly recommend the Aego M speakers. Bought mine a couple of
weeks ago from Amazon.

Not cheap - and I now see the price has gone up by GBP 26!!! -
but they really are astonishingly good. Aside from the excellent
sound quality, they can produce incredibly loud, neighbour
annoying, gut thumping bass, if you're into that kind of thing...

I bought some (not sure of model designation) and there are the
best of the class (PC speakers) I have ever heard. And if you go
to their website, they sometimes have some at very much reduced
prices for one reason or another. (Damn, if I tell you that, they
will have sold out when I want some more.)

Indeed. And I do want some more...

Mine are used with a Squeezebox in the dining room (where I'm sitting
using a laptop on the table as I write this). Until recently I had a
fairly large amp + Monitor Audio floor standing speakers in here, but
SWMBO said they had to go, so after a bit of research I bought the
Acoustic Energy Aego M speakers. Very pleased, as I said above.

They are so good I'm thinking of buying a further set to
(dramatically!) improve the sound on the TV. I'm not into so-called
'home theatre', so want soemthing small but high quality - I already
have a good quality sound system in the living room, but because of
the room size / layout / geometry it can't sensibly be integrated
with the TV. So another set of Aego M's it will likely be.

http://www.acoustic-
energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp

Bringing this back OT for a DIY group: better planning for audio
cabling (and indeed network cabling) before laying an oak floor is
something I really should have done. Ah well

Kind regards

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below
richard.perkinATmyrealbox.com

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Wireless Speakers: RCA Speakers Only Work when on Same Electrical Outlet as Transmitter / What is Problem? Lin Electronics Repair 11 April 24th 07 08:37 PM
Dead speakers!? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 March 27th 07 09:46 PM
Speakers bodger UK diy 38 December 14th 06 01:51 PM
Replacing car speakers Ken_B Electronics Repair 10 June 7th 06 01:06 AM
how do i turn off the tv speakers Mike G. Electronics Repair 2 January 18th 04 06:42 AM