Mike G.

Default how do i turn off the tv speakers

I have a Panasonic CT-2701. It has s-video and composite audio outputs
but i can't figure out hot to turn off the tv speakers. I'm having to
turn the audio all the way down on the tv and use the remote to turn the

audio up and down on the amp. Its kind of annoying because i have to
push dss to change channels and then aux. to turn the sound up and down.

When i have the dss button pushed and i turn up the volume the tv
speakers are engaged. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

--
Later
From Mike G.

Sofie

Mike G.
What is so difficult with that procedure?..... I have been doing the exact
same thing with my set up for years.
If you television does not have a speaker switch on the back, "fixed" audio
output jacks, or an on screen menu selection for turning the speakers off
(look carefully through the menu items) then continue with what you are
doing. You may be required to have the "factory original" remote to access
these functions.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Mike G." wrote in message
I have a Panasonic CT-2701. It has s-video and composite audio outputs
but i can't figure out hot to turn off the tv speakers. I'm having to
turn the audio all the way down on the tv and use the remote to turn the

audio up and down on the amp. Its kind of annoying because i have to
push dss to change channels and then aux. to turn the sound up and down.

When i have the dss button pushed and i turn up the volume the tv
speakers are engaged. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

--
Later
From Mike G.
Use to reply.

Jeff Strieble

"Mike G." wrote in message
I have a Panasonic CT-2701. It has s-video and composite audio outputs
but i can't figure out hot to turn off the tv speakers. I'm having to
turn the audio all the way down on the tv and use the remote to turn the

audio up and down on the amp. Its kind of annoying because i have to
push dss to change channels and then aux. to turn the sound up and down.

When i have the dss button pushed and i turn up the volume the tv
speakers are engaged. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

--
Later
From Mike G.
Use to reply.

I have a home entertainment setup which I am controlling with an
RCA RCU800B AV remote, and must do the same thing when controlling the
stereo (the remote controls most but not all functions of my Aiwa
bookshelf stereo system; for example, I must select the function [CD,
tuner, cassette] manually at the unit itself). When using this remote
with my TV (RCA XL-100 19" F19261) and cable box (I have digital
cable), I must also turn the box and TV, not to mention my VCR, on and
off separately (the VCR timer must be programmed from the original
remote as well), but none of that bothers me. I often use the cable
box to feed digital music to my stereo after I turn the TV off (the
box has to stay on anyway). I too have been using these procedures for
some time, and are used to them by now.

This is common when using after-market universal remotes, and is
completely normal. These units cannot operate every make of TV, VCR,
stereo, etc. ever made, although they are supposedly programmed to
operate *most* makes of home-entertainment gear manufactured after a
certain year (e. g. 1990 for all RCA universal remotes). They cannot
be expected to operate advanced functions of stereo systems or VCRs,
either (for that, as has already been noted by the last poster, the
unit's factory remote must be used). Universal after-market remotes
are designed to operate only basic functions of VCRs, stereo systems,
DVD players, etc. even if they will control all functions of your TV.
It would be impossible to manufacture an inexpensive universal remote
that would operate all functions of absolutely every
home-entertainment device made. There are such units available;
however, they are anything but cheap (RCA's touch-screen universal
remote, for example, lists for close to $100, and other LCD remotes
can set you back even more).

Three-way home-entertainment centers of late-1960s vintage (such as
Magnavox Astro-Sonic consoles) often were designed for remote control
of every function of the set (even start/stop/reject functions of the
record changer), but I am sure the control linkages, electronics, etc.
used to achieve this total control were a nightmare to work on when
they eventually broke down.

The control functions in those big three-way Maggies, IIRC, were
arranged so everything could be remotely controlled by a hand unit
with only two buttons (Magnavox's "Phantom" control system, again
IIRC--it's been over 25 years since I've seen one of those). I hate to
think how this was accomplished inside the set, however; probably by a
system (probably more like a maze) of gears, cams, springs, pulleys,
belts, motors . . . The remote receiver was probably just as
complicated, with more transistors and logic circuits than one could
shake a stick at.

Kind regards,

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV )
Fairport, Ohio