Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do I dispose of this bulb?

It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Thanks,

Fred.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred Finisterre wrote:
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

To do it greenly you simply pay a tax.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Fred Finisterre" writes:
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

You could ask your council if they have any special facilities.
If it was a personal purchase, and not a business purchase,
you can send it back to the supplier for them to dispose of it
free of charge (although I don't think they have to pay the
return P&P costs).

However, at the moment, in the UK pretty much all domestic
fluorescent lamp waste just goes in regular landfill, and most
schemes that involve trying to deal with returning one lamp
for green disposal will generate more polution than the lamp
contains, such as driving to some recycling facility. These
lamps have a disposal tax on them for paying for safe disposal,
but there don't seem to be any schemes in place yet for
collecting them from domestic waste.

Before the lamp died, did you find it worked well.
How long did it last?
What sort of fitting and position was it run in?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:49:07 -0000, Fred Finisterre wrote:

It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Thanks,

Fred.

My local tip - sorry, recycling centre - has a wheelie bin for CFLs.

(It also has a bin for dead cells - bit worrying if it gets a load of
not-too-dead NiCads in it!).
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Short answer - local tip should have places to take them for safe disposal.
If you're near an IKEA, they also take them back for disposal.

Longer answer - it's a disgrace. The intention of the regulators behind WEEE
was that retailers and manufacturers would take responsibility for the safe
disposal of waste electrical goods, and as I understand it, most European
countries have systems whereby old electrical equipment can be left with the
retailer when you buy replacements.

In the UK on the other hand, because we have such a supine 'business
friendly' establishment, the regulations were framed to allow retailers to
buy their way out of their responsibilities and contribute to an 'industry
wide' scheme that raised money, gave it to local authorities and said "OK,
you get rid of the problem for us".

The outcome is that your local authority pays whatever it costs for getting
rid of WEEE, your Council Tax increases to meet any shortfall in cost, and
the retailers and manufacturers absolve themselves of responsibility.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fred
Finisterre wrote
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Just throw it into landfill like everyone else does.

--
Alan

news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Are you sure it's really dead ?

"Dynamo" Hansen's CFL's last 20 years +

It's a Chinese Yellow, maybe it's just pining for it's homeland, the
place of it's birth on the banks of the Yangtze Kiang.

;-)

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
OG wrote:

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Short answer - local tip should have places to take them for safe disposal.
If you're near an IKEA, they also take them back for disposal.

I was quite surprised the other day to discover PCWorld will also take
any WEEE items - even stuff not purchased from them.

See http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/weee

In particular, "PC World are offering free in store take back so you are
able to take your items to our stores. You need not have purchased the
equipment in one of our stores"

Only restriction seems to be "We reserve the right to refuse products
that are not presented in a clean and safe manner".

I wonder how many fridges they get

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Are you sure it's really dead ?

"Dynamo" Hansen's CFL's last 20 years +

It's a Chinese Yellow, maybe it's just pining for it's homeland, the
place of it's birth on the banks of the Yangtze Kiang. *

;-)

Derek

This recycling business seems to definitely be 'A work in progress'!
Here ANY fluorescent tube or CFL is NOT SUPPOSED to be put into
garbage pickup!
They are all (now) classed as 'Hazardous waste'.
However like anything also, one or two 'hidden' CFLs in the regular
garbage pickup go gaily on their way to end up in the dump (tip) and
be buried. (Along with regular light bulbs and everything else
including much bigger items!)
Particularly since there seems to be no procedure set up by the local
recycling depots to accept them!
However one or two 48 inch fluorescent tubes put out in the garbage
pickup were left by side of the road; don't know if that's how one got
'accidentally on purpose' broken, but have our suspicions. Based on a
couple of complaints about the occasional actions of one garbage
collection contractor!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:

In the UK on the other hand, because we have such a supine 'business
friendly' establishment, the regulations were framed to allow retailers to

The UK interpretation of the regulations is so complex as to be a
consultants dream of a gravy train. The upshot is that many business
have simply ignored them as they can't see any workable way of
implementing them, plenty can't even work out if they even apply to them
in the first place.

buy their way out of their responsibilities and contribute to an 'industry
wide' scheme that raised money, gave it to local authorities and said "OK,
you get rid of the problem for us".

There are a number of companies that have packaged a service for
compliance, but these are rather expensive at the moment.

The outcome is that your local authority pays whatever it costs for getting
rid of WEEE, your Council Tax increases to meet any shortfall in cost, and
the retailers and manufacturers absolve themselves of responsibility.

I would guess Jo public prefers it that way. They like paying low prices
for their electronic stuff and seem to mind less the indirect costs that
add up as a result of this. If you require that the retailers or
manufacturers[1] shoulder the cost of handling it, then you can expect
the costs to be passed directly onto the customer.

[1] Obviously manufacturers of EE are far harder to tax since they are
not usually in the country of consumption these days.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

terry wrote:

This recycling business seems to definitely be 'A work in progress'!
Here ANY fluorescent tube or CFL is NOT SUPPOSED to be put into
garbage pickup!
They are all (now) classed as 'Hazardous waste'.
However like anything also, one or two 'hidden' CFLs in the regular
garbage pickup go gaily on their way to end up in the dump (tip) and
be buried. (Along with regular light bulbs and everything else
including much bigger items!)

We now have three wheelie bins; one green for food / garden /
compostible waste that is emptied each week, the original grey one that
is not designated recyclables, and a purple lidded version for "rubbish"
- these are emptied each week in alternation. Instructions explicitly
say that all bulbs, and batts are to be thrown in the rubbish one and
not the recyclables. (Not sure how you are supposed to dispose of a long
tube though). Dog crap is apparently also rubbish and not compost. So
there is no consistency either.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
We now have three wheelie bins; one green for food / garden /
compostible waste that is emptied each week, the original grey one that
is not designated recyclables, and a purple lidded version for "rubbish"
- these are emptied each week in alternation. Instructions explicitly
say that all bulbs, and batts are to be thrown in the rubbish one and
not the recyclables. (Not sure how you are supposed to dispose of a long
tube though). Dog crap is apparently also rubbish and not compost. So
there is no consistency either.

I have 4 schemes to contend with -- mine, and 3 other family
households all in different council areas whose rubbish I
put out from time to time. They've all got completely different
rules about what can go in what bin, when they collect if it's
a bank holiday, etc.

There's some rule that requires councils to prevent batteries
going into landfill, which none seem to have complied with.
Ours was going to distribute post-paid envelopes to put used
batteries in so you post them back to the council, but that
never took off (I wouldn't be surprised if the Royal Mail
didn't like the idea of pillar boxes full of leaking batteries).

I notice some of the large customers I deal with in the City
have battery collection bins at work intended for their staff
to bring in all their dead batteries from home. I don't know
who organises that, but that's probably one of the cheapest
ways to collect them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred Finisterre wrote:
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

OMG!

"Move away from the bulb". "Now".

This is hazardous waste and could destroy the planets ecosystem. You could
be fined £5000 for incorrect disposal.

Shame on you for ever buying it in the first place.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
terry wrote:

[...]

Barnsley "four bins" council have

grey - rubbish
green - garden waste and cardboard (1)(2)
blue - paper (3)
brown - glass and cans

(1) the cardboard must not be thick cardboard
(2) the cardboard must not have come into contact with food
(3) no telephone directories

The grey bin goes out on alternate weeks to the other three bins.

The wheelie bin police do come around every now and again and have a look
inside the bins but never the grey bin.

The council did offer free composting bins at one point but as I believe
that composting nearly killed my Mum I am not a big fan of it.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Fred Finisterre" writes:
[...]

I have dissected some recently. The Philips 11W ones were completely
dead, but the tubes themselves showed no discolouration at the ends,
so I took a look at the ballasts
The reservoir capacitors have gone high ESR, and are bulging
at the top.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/philips_cfl.jpg

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Graham." writes:

I have dissected some recently. The Philips 11W ones were completely
dead, but the tubes themselves showed no discolouration at the ends,
so I took a look at the ballasts
The reservoir capacitors have gone high ESR, and are bulging
at the top.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/philips_cfl.jpg

I've had the capacitors die completely, but the ballast carries
on working, albeit with reduced light output and more difficulty
starting. My guess is that something else was the cause of death,
such as failure of the switching transistor. Normally, CFL's die
when the emission coating on the tube electrodes has all sputtered
off (same with most fluorescent tubes), but CFL ballasts can fail
if the lamp is operating in an unusually hot environment, such as
a pooly ventilated light fitting.

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/diy/

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

I notice some of the large customers I deal with in the City
have battery collection bins at work intended for their staff
to bring in all their dead batteries from home. I don't know
who organises that, but that's probably one of the cheapest
ways to collect them.

As well as collecting fluorescent bulbs, IKEA also have a bin for batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jan, 16:49, "Fred Finisterre" wrote:
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Thanks,

Fred.

Ask your local council if they have invested in one of these:

http://www.cfl-lamprecycling.com/

Perhaps a local supermarket is having one fitted, perhaps not....

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 21, 9:33*pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 21 Jan, 16:49, "Fred Finisterre" wrote:

It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Thanks,

Fred.

Ask your local council if they have invested in one of these:

http://www.cfl-lamprecycling.com/

Perhaps a local supermarket is having one fitted, perhaps not....

Adam

Ah yes reminds me:
We are not supposed to put ashes (from any wood stove etc.) into our
garbage.
So every now and then we throw ours onto the garden compost pile,
complete with old nails out of the scrap wood we have burnt, or hide
it in with the other trash.

Strikes me as amusing if not ridiculous, remembering, as a youth in
north of England the 'Dustmen' going down the back alley picking up
the ashes etc. from coal fired appliances and open hearths.

Can't remember what I did with the ashes from the hot water boiler
when we later moved into a flat sometime after WWII that was one floor
of a bigger older house that had been de-requisitioned after being
used by the navy during the war. My task, then aged 12 to early teen
years was to stoke and de-ash the hot water boiler for the whole
house, which burned coke. Dusty task shovelling that coke after
delivery down the old coal chute. Vaguely remember a big old metal
ashcan that had to lugged up basement stairs.

Maybe we just dumped it in the garden somewhere.

Some 8 years ago that same post WWII flat has been swished up and at
300,000 quid, each, is one of a group of 'upper register'
apartments.

Who'd have thought that our then rundown, Admiralty modified house
would be turned into or worth that much. Guess they'd have horrors
that my mother and I used to breed budgerigars in cages in the glassed
in porch of the old mansion into the 1950s!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:10:50 +0000, Alan
wrote:

In message , Fred
Finisterre wrote
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Just throw it into landfill like everyone else does.

Exactly. Your local authority is paid dearly (by you) to arrange for
disposal, as professionals in this matter.
They all (?) seem to think that their 'customers' have to play a part
by doing their work for them.
Just take a look at how much of _your_ council tax goes towards refuse
collection/disposal...

My LA started a supposed scheme to dispose of batteries at various
civic places such as libraries, civic centre etc - by the time the
scheme was mentioned in the local press it had been discontinued...

It isn't very often that I use my LA's 'recycling box', which is
emptied once a fortnight, supposedly collecting glass bottles/jars,
cans, newspapers - I do try to use facilities in the car park of
supermarkets. However, the other day I tried the 'service' and was a
bit bemused that the wagon which came around took the bottles and
jars/cans, but left the newspapers. I queried them about this and they
pointed to another council wagon waiting around the corner, just to
collect papers. This was prior to the main bin collection wagon...

In fairness my LA isn't too bad in the scheme of things. They do free
collections (via an email or a phone call) of bulky items such as
fridges etc - even old cars... :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Barnsley "four bins" council have

grey - rubbish
green - garden waste and cardboard (1)(2)
blue - paper (3)
brown - glass and cans

(1) the cardboard must not be thick cardboard

We can stick thick cardboard in ours, but only board with no sticky tape
on it. Same as envelopes as long as you remove any windows, or gummed
edges! (i.e. sod that for a game of soldiers, they can go in the purple
rubbish bin)

The wheelie bin police do come around every now and again and have a look
inside the bins but never the grey bin.

at least we don't seem to have them...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 21 Jan, 16:49, "Fred Finisterre" wrote:
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Thanks,

Fred.

Ask your local council if they have invested in one of these:

http://www.cfl-lamprecycling.com/

Perhaps a local supermarket is having one fitted, perhaps not....

Adam

The concept that every household that has a CFL to dispose of has to
contact their council to ask is madness. (Though it might indeed be
necessary in some places.) Unless the councils manage to tell their
residents, they have fallen over on the starting blocks.

To be fair to ours, we get a leaflet with holiday arrangements and other
details every so often - at least once a year.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:45:39 +0000, clumsy ******* wrote:

PeterC wrote:

My local tip - sorry, recycling centre - has a wheelie bin for CFLs.

I will check at mine

(It also has a bin for dead cells - bit worrying if it gets a load of
not-too-dead NiCads in it!).

ohhhh dear, hadnt thought of that, how would you put it out?

When NiCads get hot they can give of cadmium and that has a nasty effect on
the bones. A Japanese chap did it with some button cells and coins in his
pocket and there was a bad effect on his femur.
Cadmium is very nasty.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
(3) no telephone directories

We can put "white" telephone directories in the paper recycling bin, but not
Yellow Pages.
--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred Finisterre" writes:
[...]

Were they in enclosed fittings, or installed hangind down? Both are
killers for these sorts of lamps.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

clumsy ******* wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Barnsley "four bins" council have

grey - rubbish
green - garden waste and cardboard (1)(2)
blue - paper (3)
brown - glass and cans

thats par for the course everywhere, or soon will be

Or maybe not!

The other day I noticed a large headline on one of the daily
publications sometimes called newspapers. Said something like all
domestic bins are going to be scrapped. We will have bigger bins serving
several properties - every 20 houses or whatever.

Struck me that there could be some advantages:

o Someone else is responsible for keeping them clean and working;
o Less of our garden occupied by bins;
o Possibly emptied more frequently;
o No rushing out with bins to catch the collection;

On the other hand:

o We don't want one next door to us;
o Can't imagine that, except in a few places, people will respect them
and use them all appropriately, quietly and tidily;
o I don't fancy having to walk down the street every time a bin needs
emptying. And partner can't.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

clumsy ******* coughed up some electrons that declared:

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Barnsley "four bins" council have

grey - rubbish
green - garden waste and cardboard (1)(2)
blue - paper (3)
brown - glass and cans

thats par for the course everywhere, or soon will be

Harrow (London) manage with 3: Rubbish (brown IIRC), garden+food (green) and
all other recyclables (blue).

If councils want people to participate in complicated schemes, they need to
make it as simple as possible and I think Harrow have found that.

Now they've set the standard I see no excuse why it can;t become a national
standard. From a householder's POV it's about as simple as it could
possibly be - the council have to do some work with the blue bin, I assume,
to sort it at the depot, but that's what we're paying council tax for.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Barnsley "four bins" council have

grey - rubbish
green - garden waste and cardboard (1)(2)
blue - paper (3)
brown - glass and cans

thats par for the course everywhere, or soon will be

Harrow (London) manage with 3: Rubbish (brown IIRC), garden+food (green) and
all other recyclables (blue).

If councils want people to participate in complicated schemes, they need to
make it as simple as possible and I think Harrow have found that.

Now they've set the standard I see no excuse why it can;t become a national
standard. From a householder's POV it's about as simple as it could
possibly be - the council have to do some work with the blue bin, I assume,
to sort it at the depot, but that's what we're paying council tax for.

Cheers

Tim

Get stuffed! :-) - *You* can change to *our* local scheme. And you can
pay for the change of bins that would be required.

(We have grey/black, green, paper and cardboard (green top on back box)
and plastic/cans (black lid/black box but different design to paper
box). No glass collection.

Mind, I agree a national agreement on colour schemes would have been
sensible - up to the point at which they redefine allowable content in
one area but not another. (E.g. allow/disallow cans or glass alongside
plastic bottles in the same box.) That would again require change of bin
colour with attendant costs. And of course, some councils seem to choose
perversely different colours for their own reasons (maroon instead of
grey in Reading?).

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Barnsley "four bins" council have

grey - rubbish
green - garden waste and cardboard (1)(2)
blue - paper (3)
brown - glass and cans

thats par for the course everywhere, or soon will be

Harrow (London) manage with 3: Rubbish (brown IIRC), garden+food (green) and
all other recyclables (blue).

I live in Harrow.

It's brown for decompostables & garden waste, blue for recyclables and
green for everything else. The brown bin is collected every week, and
the other two alternate each week.

On a nice warm summers morning, the smell from uncollected festering
brown bins is unfortunately enough to bring up ye breakfast... :-(

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

When NiCads get hot they can give of cadmium and that has a nasty effect on
the bones. A Japanese chap did it with some button cells and coins in his
pocket and there was a bad effect on his femur.
Cadmium is very nasty.

Have you got a reference for that?

Cheers,

Sid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C coughed up some electrons that declared:

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Barnsley "four bins" council have

grey - rubbish
green - garden waste and cardboard (1)(2)
blue - paper (3)
brown - glass and cans
thats par for the course everywhere, or soon will be

Harrow (London) manage with 3: Rubbish (brown IIRC), garden+food (green)
and all other recyclables (blue).

I live in Harrow.

It's brown for decompostables & garden waste, blue for recyclables and
green for everything else. The brown bin is collected every week, and
the other two alternate each week.

Sorry - mixed up brown and green. Rother (East Sussex) use brown for garden.

On a nice warm summers morning, the smell from uncollected festering
brown bins is unfortunately enough to bring up ye breakfast... :-(

I've never taken up Tunbridge Wells concept of sticking food in the brown -
sound's like a recipe for stinkiness as you've indicated.

BTW - do they take glass in the blue?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

Sorry - mixed up brown and green. Rother (East Sussex) use brown for
garden.

^^^^^^
Green

T.Wells is green for general crap and brown for garden.

FFS - I only deal with 2 houses and I can't remember which colour scheme is
which.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
It isn't very often that I use my LA's 'recycling box', which is
emptied once a fortnight, supposedly collecting glass bottles/jars,
cans, newspapers - I do try to use facilities in the car park of
supermarkets. However, the other day I tried the 'service' and was a
bit bemused that the wagon which came around took the bottles and
jars/cans, but left the newspapers. I queried them about this and they
pointed to another council wagon waiting around the corner, just to
collect papers. This was prior to the main bin collection wagon...

That's probably why so many councils have gone to (or are planning to go
to) fortnightly collections.

The irony is that in the current economic climate, the market for
recycled glass, paper etc. has almost completely collapsed, and much of
the carefully collected recycled items are going to storage or even
landfill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

And of course, some councils seem to choose
perversely different colours for their own reasons (maroon instead of
grey in Reading?).

Maroon must be Reading Council's livery. The buses used to be maroon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Reentrant" wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
(3) no telephone directories

We can put "white" telephone directories in the paper recycling bin, but not
Yellow Pages.

Nothing like keeping it simple, is there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

FFS - I only deal with 2 houses and I can't remember which colour scheme is
which.

LOL. Confusing it is :-)

http://www.harrow.gov.uk/downloads/W...housholds).pdf
http://www.harrow.gov.uk/downloads/W...booklet_2_.pdf

but not glass cups for some reason.

So many councils across the land, all running about headless with the
notion of they must do something green - and individually experimenting
with what should be the standard method of doing things.

Harrow did such an experiment (read: lost money) before the current
scheme, by giving out 'green boxes' - a smaller version of the recycle
bin that was picked up by a van with segregated compartments, which the
crew distributed the contents of the boxes into. Now this happens back
at the depot - or somewhere else. Hopefully closer than China.

All of this is calling out for a national body, staffed by experts
setting standards and making recommendations*, and deciding the colour
of waste bins and collection methods... and due to those standards -
then able to run national campaigns so that everyone knew what they
should be doing in what bin etc...

Who ran 'Keep Britain Tidy'?

* - but not making a part-P of it all....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:10:58 +0000, clumsy ******* wrote:

o I don't fancy having to walk down the street every time a bin needs
emptying. And partner can't.

you would need a bin to collect stuff together till it was worth going
to the bigger bin....

then the council comes alon and empties it...
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y