Posted to uk.d-i-y
terry terry is offline

Default How do I dispose of this bulb?

On Jan 21, 9:33*pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 21 Jan, 16:49, "Fred Finisterre" wrote:

It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Thanks,

Fred.

Ask your local council if they have invested in one of these:

http://www.cfl-lamprecycling.com/

Perhaps a local supermarket is having one fitted, perhaps not....

Adam

Ah yes reminds me:
We are not supposed to put ashes (from any wood stove etc.) into our
garbage.
So every now and then we throw ours onto the garden compost pile,
complete with old nails out of the scrap wood we have burnt, or hide
it in with the other trash.

Strikes me as amusing if not ridiculous, remembering, as a youth in
north of England the 'Dustmen' going down the back alley picking up
the ashes etc. from coal fired appliances and open hearths.

Can't remember what I did with the ashes from the hot water boiler
when we later moved into a flat sometime after WWII that was one floor
of a bigger older house that had been de-requisitioned after being
used by the navy during the war. My task, then aged 12 to early teen
years was to stoke and de-ash the hot water boiler for the whole
house, which burned coke. Dusty task shovelling that coke after
delivery down the old coal chute. Vaguely remember a big old metal
ashcan that had to lugged up basement stairs.

Maybe we just dumped it in the garden somewhere.

Some 8 years ago that same post WWII flat has been swished up and at
300,000 quid, each, is one of a group of 'upper register'
apartments.

Who'd have thought that our then rundown, Admiralty modified house
would be turned into or worth that much. Guess they'd have horrors
that my mother and I used to breed budgerigars in cages in the glassed
in porch of the old mansion into the 1950s!