Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default How do I dispose of this bulb?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
terry wrote:

This recycling business seems to definitely be 'A work in progress'!
Here ANY fluorescent tube or CFL is NOT SUPPOSED to be put into
garbage pickup!
They are all (now) classed as 'Hazardous waste'.
However like anything also, one or two 'hidden' CFLs in the regular
garbage pickup go gaily on their way to end up in the dump (tip) and
be buried. (Along with regular light bulbs and everything else
including much bigger items!)

We now have three wheelie bins; one green for food / garden / compostible
waste that is emptied each week, the original grey one that is not
designated recyclables, and a purple lidded version for "rubbish" - these
are emptied each week in alternation. Instructions explicitly say that all
bulbs, and batts are to be thrown in the rubbish one and not the
recyclables. (Not sure how you are supposed to dispose of a long tube
though). Dog crap is apparently also rubbish and not compost. So there is
no consistency either.

--
Cheers,

John.

Barnsley "four bins" council have

grey - rubbish
green - garden waste and cardboard (1)(2)
blue - paper (3)
brown - glass and cans

(1) the cardboard must not be thick cardboard
(2) the cardboard must not have come into contact with food
(3) no telephone directories

The grey bin goes out on alternate weeks to the other three bins.

The wheelie bin police do come around every now and again and have a look
inside the bins but never the grey bin.

The council did offer free composting bins at one point but as I believe
that composting nearly killed my Mum I am not a big fan of it.

Adam