Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default How do I dispose of this bulb?

Tim S wrote:
clumsy ******* coughed up some electrons that declared:

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Barnsley "four bins" council have

grey - rubbish
green - garden waste and cardboard (1)(2)
blue - paper (3)
brown - glass and cans

thats par for the course everywhere, or soon will be

Harrow (London) manage with 3: Rubbish (brown IIRC), garden+food (green) and
all other recyclables (blue).

If councils want people to participate in complicated schemes, they need to
make it as simple as possible and I think Harrow have found that.

Now they've set the standard I see no excuse why it can;t become a national
standard. From a householder's POV it's about as simple as it could
possibly be - the council have to do some work with the blue bin, I assume,
to sort it at the depot, but that's what we're paying council tax for.

Cheers

Tim

Get stuffed! :-) - *You* can change to *our* local scheme. And you can
pay for the change of bins that would be required.

(We have grey/black, green, paper and cardboard (green top on back box)
and plastic/cans (black lid/black box but different design to paper
box). No glass collection.

Mind, I agree a national agreement on colour schemes would have been
sensible - up to the point at which they redefine allowable content in
one area but not another. (E.g. allow/disallow cans or glass alongside
plastic bottles in the same box.) That would again require change of bin
colour with attendant costs. And of course, some councils seem to choose
perversely different colours for their own reasons (maroon instead of
grey in Reading?).

--
Rod

onset.