Posted to alt.home.repair
Darrell Dorsey

Default How to dispose of large mirrors

I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

Posted to alt.home.repair
souperman@_______.com

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 00:18:30 -0500, "Darrell Dorsey"
wrote:

I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

St. Vincent De Paul, Goodwill, any other second hand store. Why waste
something that someone else can use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

Find out which local radio stations have "swap" or "trading" programs
then call the program. I sold lots of items (fast) that otherwise
I'd have haul off to the dump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

most areas have builder recycle shops, locally its construction
junction...

some real bargains too.

if all else fails break into small pieces and put in boxes taped shut
for garbage.

secure so kids dont get hurt and boxes dont burst when being put in
truck...

Posted to alt.home.repair
007 007 is offline

wrote:

I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

St. Vincent De Paul, Goodwill, any other second hand store. Why waste
something that someone else can use.

HA ! .... the old adage of "beggars can't be choosy" does not
apply to many of these goodwill places.

they DO in fact screen out whatever is offered to them. heck,
i had an almost brand new washing machine the Salvation Army
declined. then, i offered a kitchen table set (brand new) and
was told, "sorry we need another piece of furniture to go
with it".

i was like F-U, you ungreatful mother f'ers ! talk about doing
a disservice to people "in need".

i suppose they don't want to be the dumping ground of all
the unwanted "junk" people get rid of. however, i recall the
old days growing up as a kid back in the 60's and early 70's
when my mother would always go to the Salvation Army store
to get us things - and they would never screen out what was
given to them. if you had un-needed stuff, you gave it to
them, and someone would always find a use for someone elses
unneeded items.

not anymore, they appear to want show room quality stuff.

had an old car (that ran), old 1978 chevy malibu - ran fine.
was told "nope, sorry it's too old".... no one wanted it !
go figure.... maybe i didn't try hard enough - but why should
i ? finally ended up calling a junk yard, here gimme $50 bucks
it's yours !

you're just better off leaving those mirrors out on the
curb for the trash pickup. people nowadays are expecting
to be "entitled" to the "finer things in life" and would
probably find slumming with second hand stuff beneath
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

007 wrote:
wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 00:18:30 -0500, "Darrell Dorsey"

...second hand store. Why waste something that someone else can use.

HA ! .... the old adage of "beggars can't be choosy" does not
apply to many of these goodwill places.

....snip rant...

i suppose they don't want to be the dumping ground of all
the unwanted "junk" people get rid of....

Having been involved w/ several local organizations, I can assure you
that is a prime problem any more that didn't used to be an issue. We
had to finally close the local Salvation Army donation center simply
because we couldn't afford the manpower it took to clean up the junk
dumped in the collection centers overnights and weekends. Every
organization has to maintain its own policies otherwise they will
virtually certainly get overwhelmed.

And, while it is true that a portion of it is that there isn't the
demand for used goods in some areas as much as there once was, mostly
it is that the proliferation of "giving" for the tax benefits or the
cost-avoidance of dump fees, etc., has innundated the recipients and
they've been forced to be more selective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HA ! .... the old adage of "beggars can't be choosy" does not
apply to many of these goodwill places.

...snip rant...

i suppose they don't want to be the dumping ground of all
the unwanted "junk" people get rid of....

Having been involved w/ several local organizations, I can assure you
that is a prime problem any more that didn't used to be an issue. We
had to finally close the local Salvation Army donation center simply
because we couldn't afford the manpower it took to clean up the junk
dumped in the collection centers overnights and weekends. Every
organization has to maintain its own policies otherwise they will
virtually certainly get overwhelmed.

And, while it is true that a portion of it is that there isn't the
demand for used goods in some areas as much as there once was, mostly
it is that the proliferation of "giving" for the tax benefits or the
cost-avoidance of dump fees, etc., has innundated the recipients and
they've been forced to be more selective.

A year and a half ago when hurricane Ivan dumped 6" of rain in our area (SW
PA) many people lost everything due to flooding. They had a big drive for
donated goods.

Well I was watching the news coverage of this and saw people just dumping
the junk that had accumulated in their basements. The worst was someone
unloading an old stove from at least the forties. You know the 40" wide
stove your Grammy had that can't fit in any kitchen built after the fifties.
I just thought of how much money someone was going to have to pay to haul
this junk to the landfill. I know some of you will say its better than
nothing, but I'm sure they would much rather have had Sears or Whirlpool
donate so many new stoves and deliver and install them where they are
needed.

As for second hand stores being more selective. They know what sells and
now that we have a consumer driven economy people are replacing more than
ever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

A local dance school or Karate school....

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Cliff Hartle wrote:
... people lost everything due to flooding. They had a big drive for
donated goods.

...saw people just dumping the junk that had accumulated in their basements. ...
I just thought of how much money someone was going to have to pay to haul
this junk to the landfill. ...

Yep, that's the scenario to a "T" but it doesn't happen only in drives,
it happens all the time.
As noted above, it was breaking the local SA to the point of either
support the secondhand store at the exclusion of most other charitable
work or fix the problem. Unfortunately, the only practical fix was to
close the secondhand collections and store.

As for second hand stores being more selective. They know what sells and
now that we have a consumer driven economy people are replacing more than
ever.

We've _always_ had a consumer-driven economy!

For the actual for-profit secondhand stores, it's easy for people to
understand their selectiveness in what they take. While nonprofits and
charities have different financial objectives, they have to operate in
a financially responsible manner or as in the example above they run
the very real risk of jeopardizing their primary mission.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Darrell Dorsey" wrote in message
rvers.com...
I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

Post them on craigslist or freecycle for your area.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Darrell Dorsey wrote:
I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

Donate to one of the charitable organizations that
have stores that sell used stuff. Usually run by
a church, e.g., Catholic, Mormon, or some
organization that cares for children.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Darrell Dorsey" wrote in message
rvers.com...

snip
I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

If your location allows you can put them on the curb with a 'FREE' sign on
them. I do this every time I clean out the garage or basement. Nothing is
ever left by late afternoon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Darrell Dorsey wrote:
I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

Hi Darrell,

Depending where you are, there is a new website set up to give things
you no longer need, to someone either in or close to where you live.
They'll even come and pick it up from you.

Here is the website:
http://www.freecycle.org/

Just click on the area you live in [on the menu on the left side] and
just keep clicking until you get to your town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll give the craiglist a try. I have
several vanities, a whirlpool tub as well. Usually someone would pick up
the vanities. But the tub and mirrors may be harder.

Darrell

"Darrell Dorsey" wrote in message
rvers.com...
I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Depending where you are, there is a new website set up to give things
you no longer need, to someone either in or close to where you live.
They'll even come and pick it up from you.

Here is the website:
http://www.freecycle.org/

If you're turned off by all the legal/political crap surrounding
freecycle.org, there are plenty of other sites that promote freecycling,
regiving, re-gifting, or whatever else you want to call it. (Brief
background: freecycle.org is trying to trademark the term freecycle,
even though it was in generic use for many years before the organization
was started. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freecycle_Network for
more if you want.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Regiving lists some of the other
networks available for giving away useful items.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joshua Putnam" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Depending where you are, there is a new website set up to give things
you no longer need, to someone either in or close to where you live.
They'll even come and pick it up from you.

Here is the website:
http://www.freecycle.org/

If you're turned off by all the legal/political crap surrounding
freecycle.org, there are plenty of other sites that promote freecycling,
regiving, re-gifting, or whatever else you want to call it. (Brief
background: freecycle.org is trying to trademark the term freecycle,
even though it was in generic use for many years before the organization
was started. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freecycle_Network for
more if you want.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Regiving lists some of the other
networks available for giving away useful items.

........or list it in the free stuff section on Craig's list...

Posted to alt.home.repair

freecycle sounded like a good plan. I tried 3 times to jump though all the
hoops to join freeycle but still have not succeed. Need a yahoo address, I
already have 3 addresses don't need another. Craigslist is much simpler to
use. Giving away stuff shouldn't need so much security attached to it.

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
try freecycle if there's one in your area.

www.freecycle.org

--
Steve Barker

"Darrell Dorsey" wrote in message
rvers.com...
I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"calhoun" wrote in message
freecycle sounded like a good plan. I tried 3 times to jump though all the
hoops to join freeycle but still have not succeed. Need a yahoo address, I
already have 3 addresses don't need another. Craigslist is much simpler to
use. Giving away stuff shouldn't need so much security attached to it.

You would not want to use freecycle on an address you use for other things.
If you are gone for 3 days, you come back to hundreds of emails sometimes.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

"calhoun" wrote in message
freecycle sounded like a good plan. I tried 3 times to jump though all

the
hoops to join freeycle but still have not succeed. Need a yahoo address,

already have 3 addresses don't need another. Craigslist is much simpler

use. Giving away stuff shouldn't need so much security attached to it.

You would not want to use freecycle on an address you use for other

things.
If you are gone for 3 days, you come back to hundreds of emails sometimes.

See if local Habitat for Humanity has a ReStore anywhere nearby. If the
mirrors are in decent shape, they'll take them. (IOW, the silvering isn't
shot, and you didn't take any half-moons out of the edges getting them
down.)

Failing that, some Goodwills, Salvation Army stores, etc, take limited
building repair items- but for a mirror, they would probably want it wrapped
in cardboard.

If you don't wanna haul, and live in a kid/gang free neighborhood, just put
on the curb with a 'free' sign, or add to a neighbors garage sale. If they
can keep the money, most people don't mind such donations.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
You would not want to use freecycle on an address you use for other
things.
If you are gone for 3 days, you come back to hundreds of emails sometimes.

Bob

You can set your freecycle membership to deliver a daily digest
or to simply read via the web (no emails).

lee

FS - Large endmills for sale ( at least too large for my use) [email protected] Metalworking 2 February 7th 05 12:45 PM
for Sale Large SPINDLE Adaptor and Large 3C Collet for S/Bend LATHE [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 11th 05 09:32 PM
mirrors in bathrooms john Smith UK diy 7 January 6th 05 03:36 AM
Large Shoulder plane or spokeshaves? Reviews? Eric Anderson Woodworking 5 December 5th 04 03:00 PM
What for Christmas? Large shoulder or spoke shaves Eric Anderson Woodworking 2 December 4th 04 04:09 PM