Posted to alt.home.repair
007 007 is offline

Default How to dispose of large mirrors

wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 00:18:30 -0500, "Darrell Dorsey"
wrote:

I am remodeling my bathrooms and have two large mirrors that I want to
dispose of. Any thoughts on the best way. I'm going to call a couple of
glass shops on Monday and see if they have any ideas or can recycle them.
Wanted to get some ideas here as well.

-----
Darrell

St. Vincent De Paul, Goodwill, any other second hand store. Why waste
something that someone else can use.

HA ! .... the old adage of "beggars can't be choosy" does not
apply to many of these goodwill places.

they DO in fact screen out whatever is offered to them. heck,
i had an almost brand new washing machine the Salvation Army
declined. then, i offered a kitchen table set (brand new) and
was told, "sorry we need another piece of furniture to go
with it".

i was like F-U, you ungreatful mother f'ers ! talk about doing
a disservice to people "in need".

i suppose they don't want to be the dumping ground of all
the unwanted "junk" people get rid of. however, i recall the
old days growing up as a kid back in the 60's and early 70's
when my mother would always go to the Salvation Army store
to get us things - and they would never screen out what was
given to them. if you had un-needed stuff, you gave it to
them, and someone would always find a use for someone elses
unneeded items.

not anymore, they appear to want show room quality stuff.

had an old car (that ran), old 1978 chevy malibu - ran fine.
was told "nope, sorry it's too old".... no one wanted it !
go figure.... maybe i didn't try hard enough - but why should
i ? finally ended up calling a junk yard, here gimme $50 bucks
it's yours !

you're just better off leaving those mirrors out on the
curb for the trash pickup. people nowadays are expecting
to be "entitled" to the "finer things in life" and would
probably find slumming with second hand stuff beneath
them.