john Smith

Default mirrors in bathrooms

Hello,

can any type of mirror be used in a bathroom.

The reason I ask is that I have 6 large square mirrors from ikea that I
would like to

tile into my bathroom wall, i.e. instead of tiles I would like to glue the
mirrors there in

place and grout round them

Would this be a problem

Thanks in advance

Malc

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

can any type of mirror be used in a bathroom.

The reason I ask is that I have 6 large square mirrors from ikea that I
would like to

tile into my bathroom wall, i.e. instead of tiles I would like to glue the
mirrors there in

place and grout round them

Would this be a problem

The only thing that I can think which might be a problem is damp getting in
the edges and discolouring the reflecting layer. At least I read that
somewhere. I think you might have to seal the edges with something say
varnish or a bathroom sealant before tiling.

--
Malc

BigWallop

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

can any type of mirror be used in a bathroom.

The reason I ask is that I have 6 large square mirrors from ikea that I
would like to

tile into my bathroom wall, i.e. instead of tiles I would like to glue the
mirrors there in

place and grout round them

Would this be a problem

Thanks in advance

Gluing them straight to the wall might cause the silvered backing to peel
off. The reflective surface is only sprayed on to glass, and anything rough
or sticky can easily make it peel away.

Would it be possible to fix a sort of plastic framing on the wall to suit
the size of the mirrors instead of gluing them directly. I think Bent &
Queer do a sort of "S" shaped plastic moulding for tile edges, so it might
be possible to fix the mirrors using something like that.

JA

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

can any type of mirror be used in a bathroom.

The reason I ask is that I have 6 large square mirrors from ikea that I
would like to

tile into my bathroom wall, i.e. instead of tiles I would like to glue the
mirrors there in

place and grout round them

Would this be a problem

Thanks in advance

The mirrors I had put in my bathroom are on opposite walls to each other run
the length of the walls and are each 2.5 ft in height. The tiling was done
first and the tiles were measured and cut to match the spaces where there
were no tiles. The mirrors came from a glass merchants and had a vinyl type
backing to protect the mirror finish and also keep the glass in place in
case they broke. The mirrors were glued in place onto the plasterboard walls
using mirror adhesive and then the edges were grouted where they butted up
to the tiles. Worked well.

Ash

john Smith

JA

you seem to have done exactly what I want to do.

I will give my glass merchant a ring to see how cheap it would be, otherwise
I might just chance

my arm.

Cheers everyone

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:20:48 GMT, "john Smith"
wrote:

can any type of mirror be used in a bathroom.

No, but these days the only type of mirror you're likely to find is
suitable for bathrooms. It has an extra plastic film on the back, over
the silvering. This protects it from condensation (old bathroom
mirrors often started to lose their silvering in patches around the
edges). It also protects it from adhesives, which was another very
quick way to destroy a mirror.

The recommended adhesive is something like Screwfix's mirror mastic.
This works, and it also doesn't strip the silvering.

--
Smert' spamionam
Timothy Murphy

Andy Dingley wrote:

can any type of mirror be used in a bathroom.

No, but these days the only type of mirror you're likely to find is
suitable for bathrooms. It has an extra plastic film on the back, over
the silvering. This protects it from condensation (old bathroom
mirrors often started to lose their silvering in patches around the
edges). It also protects it from adhesives, which was another very
quick way to destroy a mirror.

The recommended adhesive is something like Screwfix's mirror mastic.
This works, and it also doesn't strip the silvering.

Slightly OT, but could such a mirror be stuck to tiles,
reasonably safely?

And would it be possible to remove it later?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 02:58:49 +0000, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Slightly OT, but could such a mirror be stuck to tiles,
reasonably safely?

If your tiles are old and scabby enough to hide, my main concern would
be the tiles staying on the wall, given the extra weight of the
mirror.

And would it be possible to remove it later?

Sticky foam pads / tape can be used to hold mirrors up, and they're
easily removed by sawing them out afterwards with a length of fishing
line.

Tends to give a bit of an ugly gap around the mirror edge though.