Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default How do I dispose of this bulb?

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
It's one of these:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/8470321-21/detail/B00133SDV6

Anyone know how do I dispose of it safely/greenly?

Short answer - local tip should have places to take them for safe disposal.
If you're near an IKEA, they also take them back for disposal.

Longer answer - it's a disgrace. The intention of the regulators behind WEEE
was that retailers and manufacturers would take responsibility for the safe
disposal of waste electrical goods, and as I understand it, most European
countries have systems whereby old electrical equipment can be left with the
retailer when you buy replacements.

In the UK on the other hand, because we have such a supine 'business
friendly' establishment, the regulations were framed to allow retailers to
buy their way out of their responsibilities and contribute to an 'industry
wide' scheme that raised money, gave it to local authorities and said "OK,
you get rid of the problem for us".

The outcome is that your local authority pays whatever it costs for getting
rid of WEEE, your Council Tax increases to meet any shortfall in cost, and
the retailers and manufacturers absolve themselves of responsibility.