Default How to dispose of a portacabin and a caravan

We have just acquired a bit of land adjacent to our house, we've used
it for grazing our horses for years anyway but buying it just
completes our plot nicely.

Now we own it we'd like to get rid of the ancient and decrepit
portacabin and caravan that are on it. The portacabin is actually
falling apart, when we looked just recently the roof was falling in,
thus it is worthless I think unless the angle iron is any use to
anyone. The caravan is not quite so far gone, it's a biggish one
intended for 'fixed' use I guess. The roof is still waterproof, it
has a plumbed in loo though it's not actually plumbed in if you see
what I mean.

How can we get rid of these? Does anyone have any idea how much a
waste disposal company is likely to charge? If anyone is interested
in the caravan I'm quite happy to assist them in getting it moving
(I'm not even sure of the status of its wheels, if any, at the
moment).

Any/all ideas would be very welcome.

--
Chris Green
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:00:52 GMT, "[news]" wrote:

set fire to them, shovel what remains into a skip.

Moron.

For one thing, a caravan is skinned in aluminium. Burned aluminium is
an effective weedkiller and you'll leave a bare spot there for years
(depending on soil type).

Depedning on the age of the Portacabin you might have to pay money to
get rid of it (If you're near Bristol, drop me an email and I'll tell
you A Chap That Does). It'll break up easily enough with a
sledgehammer, the framing steel is useful, or worth buttons for scrap
(but worth it). The jacklegs off it may be of interest to someone who
has just bent one (depending on age). The panels though are too many
low-value materials lammed together to have much recycle value. Some of
them make excellent greenhouse potting benches though, as they're solid
plywood with a smooth waterproof laminate on them.

The caravan should be demolished with a sledgehammer. The aluminium
panels are useful, or are definitely worth the scrap price. The trim is
unusable and needs landfilling and the windows might be usable for
coldframe / shed duty if glass, or are worthless if plastic. You can
bonfire the timber afterwards (if it'll light) but you really need to
strip the plastics out before setting light.

if you have electricity nearby, a big reciprocating saw will make your
day less tiresome (Axminster do a big own-brand one that ought to last
long enough).

We have just acquired a bit of land adjacent to our house, we've used
it for grazing our horses for years anyway but buying it just
completes our plot nicely.

Chris,

When I bought my house recently the contract stated "vacant
possession". So when the owner left a load of crap behind I was able to
get my solicitor to chase them up and the offending items were removed
soon after.

Don't know if this applies for land purchase, though. What happens if a
load of stuff is fly-tipped just before a land purchase goes through?

Bruce

We have just acquired a bit of land adjacent to our house, we've used
it for grazing our horses for years anyway but buying it just
completes our plot nicely.

Chris,

When I bought my house recently the contract stated "vacant
possession". So when the owner left a load of crap behind I was able to
get my solicitor to chase them up and the offending items were removed
soon after.

Don't know if this applies for land purchase, though. What happens if a
load of stuff is fly-tipped just before a land purchase goes through?

No, it's not worth the hassle. We bought the land at auction which
probably changes things. The story is a bit convoluted anyway:-

We bought the house with about 7 acres of land in 1998, the people we
bought it from retained about half an acre at the corner of the site
in the hope that they might get planning permission (very slim hope).
They thought about selling a couple of years ago and we asked them to
tell us if they got serious again. Then recently we saw a few people
looking at the land and, on asking them, found it was to be sold by
auction. We quickly got our act together (funds etc.) and I was able
to buy it for a reasonable price, I don't think anyone else wanted it
much, still no chance of planning permission.

All the time that we didn't own the land we had informal (and even
slightly formal, in a letter) permission to use it for grazing etc.
It basically forms part of our plot and there's no real separation or
obvious boundaries. Thus we have maintained it to the extent of
clearing the ragwort (poisonous weed), topping as required, etc. Our
bonfire patch is on it too. We were told by the (then) owners that we
were welcome to use/move the caravan if we wanted.

So I doubt if we can get the previous owners to clear it. Dismantling
and burning seems the best approach.

--
Chris Green
[news]

[news] wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That might work with the portacabin whose walls and roof appear to be
some sort of cheap plywood but the caravan is mostly aluminium,

ah, I thought it might be.

chop the ali one up with and axe / grinder. weigh the ali in at a large metal recycling
yard. the price of aluminium has gone stratospheric recently. burn the ply one and
whatever is left of the ali one, then shovel the remains into a skip. it's probably worth
weighing the steel in, too.

RT

nightjar

wrote in message ...
How can we get rid of these? Does anyone have any idea how much a
waste disposal company is likely to charge? If anyone is interested
in the caravan I'm quite happy to assist them in getting it moving
(I'm not even sure of the status of its wheels, if any, at the
moment).

Any/all ideas would be very welcome.

Around here (West Sussex) there is a banger racing circuit, which will
sometimes collect old caravans for demolition in one of their races.
Otherwise they are a pain to dispose of. I was really pleased when the
purchaser of my late parents' house wanted to keep the ancient caravan they
had been using as a garden shed for decades.

Colin Bignell

Dave Stanton

I hope they charged him for the callout - any "controlled burning" that is
likely to be called in by a passer-by should be notified to the local fire
station so they know what's going on. I suspect that disposing of waste
in this way contravenes environmental legislation anyway.

I would agree. Somebody might have had a real life endangering fire while
they were at the other 'fire'

Dave

again
in the future!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Porta Cabin

Guru Nanak Interiors is one of the leading brand, which was established in year 1995. It uses innovative and new technique to manufacture porta cabins, porta huts, portable cabins, portable building, farm house cabins, containers offices.

For more information visit on -: http://www.gncabins.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Dingley, claire wrote:
Hi Andy

I know it's a real old post, can you contact me with lacal chap to Bristol. I
have to quote to dispose of a porta cabin

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...an-173078-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Large hand grenade?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"claire" m wrote in
message ...
replying to Andy Dingley, claire wrote:
Hi Andy

I know it's a real old post, can you contact me with lacal chap to
Bristol. I
have to quote to dispose of a porta cabin

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...an-173078-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2017 15:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
Large hand grenade?

Brian

Offer them to 'The Grand Tour'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 22, 2005 at 12:02:46 PM UTC+1, wrote:
We have just acquired a bit of land adjacent to our house, we've used
it for grazing our horses for years anyway but buying it just
completes our plot nicely.

Now we own it we'd like to get rid of the ancient and decrepit
portacabin and caravan that are on it. The portacabin is actually
falling apart, when we looked just recently the roof was falling in,
thus it is worthless I think unless the angle iron is any use to
anyone. The caravan is not quite so far gone, it's a biggish one
intended for 'fixed' use I guess. The roof is still waterproof, it
has a plumbed in loo though it's not actually plumbed in if you see
what I mean.

How can we get rid of these? Does anyone have any idea how much a

I need to dispose of a 1985 Portacabin to comply with my end of lease.
Is there a compny able to undertake this work in SW London?

waste disposal company is likely to charge? If anyone is interested
in the caravan I'm quite happy to assist them in getting it moving
(I'm not even sure of the status of its wheels, if any, at the
moment).

Any/all ideas would be very welcome.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why has this appeared from 2005?
Its a rift in time. Where is Dr Who when you need her?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...