We have just acquired a bit of land adjacent to our house, we've used
it for grazing our horses for years anyway but buying it just
completes our plot nicely.

Chris,

When I bought my house recently the contract stated "vacant
possession". So when the owner left a load of crap behind I was able to
get my solicitor to chase them up and the offending items were removed
soon after.

Don't know if this applies for land purchase, though. What happens if a
load of stuff is fly-tipped just before a land purchase goes through?

No, it's not worth the hassle. We bought the land at auction which
probably changes things. The story is a bit convoluted anyway:-

We bought the house with about 7 acres of land in 1998, the people we
bought it from retained about half an acre at the corner of the site
in the hope that they might get planning permission (very slim hope).
They thought about selling a couple of years ago and we asked them to
tell us if they got serious again. Then recently we saw a few people
looking at the land and, on asking them, found it was to be sold by
auction. We quickly got our act together (funds etc.) and I was able
to buy it for a reasonable price, I don't think anyone else wanted it
much, still no chance of planning permission.

All the time that we didn't own the land we had informal (and even
slightly formal, in a letter) permission to use it for grazing etc.
It basically forms part of our plot and there's no real separation or
obvious boundaries. Thus we have maintained it to the extent of
clearing the ragwort (poisonous weed), topping as required, etc. Our
bonfire patch is on it too. We were told by the (then) owners that we
were welcome to use/move the caravan if we wanted.

So I doubt if we can get the previous owners to clear it. Dismantling
and burning seems the best approach.

--
Chris Green