Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to accurately weigh a cat...OT ish

Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which is
quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vortex
writes

Any suggestions?

1) Catch cats.

2) Put cats in identical boxes.

3) Take boxes, containing cats, to your local, friendly sub post office.

4) Smile sweetly at sub postmaster, and ask him to weigh the two boxes
on his highly accurate, and regularly checked parcels scales.

5) Return home.

6) Release cats

7) Return to PO, with bottle of wine for sub pm, and weigh empty boxes.

8) Deduct 7 from 4.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 21:11:21 +0100, Vortex wrote:

Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which
is quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

David

==================================
Make a body sling (such as is used to move elephants) and use a
fisherman's spring balance to do the actual weighing. Cats can't easily
escape if held under the body on the palm of your hand so the sling serves
the same purpose.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and
absolute) of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a
cat in a domestic situation?

a) You could ask your vet at their annual inspection,

b) or stick it in a cat basket and take it to the postoffice (you can weigh
the cat basket seperatly back home on the kitchen scales) to weigh both cat
+ basket

c) or cat in basket etc and borrow scales with better resolution

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vortex
writes
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which is
quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Get some more sensitive scales

mine displays to 0.1kg

as to accuracy ?

it's prolly not so important for you, is it ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which is
quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

David

Well if you know the specific gravity of the cat, or assume its nearly
one, submerge it in a full bucket of water and measure what overflows.

This also eliminates the unwanted cat.

Another useful trick is to use potential energy.

Take a known weight on one end of a see saw and place the cat on the other.

The height to which the cat is cat-a-pulted is in the ratio of the cats
weight to the other weight, and the distance that weight falls.

Another good trick is to swing that cat on a bit of string tied to its
tail with a spring balance. By measuring the RPM and looking at the
scales, and knowing the string length, the cats weight may be calculated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 21:11:21 +0100, "Vortex"
wrote:

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Easy.

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats

Cats are very co-operative when you understand their motivation.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which is
quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Borrow a set of scales with adequate resolution.

Place large plate on scales - mash a sardine up on it.

Put cat near scales and tell it to go nowhere near sardine.

When it heads for scale put it to one side and repeat admonition.

Make note of cats weight when it settles on scales to eat sardine.

Simple.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which
is quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

Get two washing up bowls, one larger than the other. Put the smaller bowl
one in the larger bowl, and fill it with water. Put the first cat in the
smaller bowl, it'll most likely get out of it's own accord. You can then
pour the water displaced into the larger bowl into a measuring cylinder, and
using a rough density of water as 1ml = 1 gramme, work out the weight of the
cat. Of course, the cat is likely to retain water in it's fur, so it may be
a good idea to cover it in vaseline first to minimise errors.

Then repeat the process for the second cat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-02 21:11:21 +0100, "Vortex" said:

Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which is
quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

David

You can get professional quality scales normally used for medical
purposes which have been calibrated but not officially certified. Seca
is one of the most popular brands. I bought one a couple of years
ago with 50g resolution and apart from weighing me has been used for
cat weighing using your method.

However, if you need to weigh the cat for medical reasons - e.g. loss
of weight because of an ailment, then veterinary scales may be needed.
These have a 20g resolution

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-06-02 21:11:21 +0100, "Vortex" said:

Hi,
[...]

See above - it's for some drunken bet

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get two washing up bowls, one larger than the other. Put the smaller bowl
one in the larger bowl, and fill it with water. Put the first cat in the
smaller bowl, it'll most likely get out of it's own accord. You can then
pour the water displaced into the larger bowl into a measuring cylinder,
and using a rough density of water as 1ml = 1 gramme, work out the weight
of the cat. Of course, the cat is likely to retain water in it's fur, so
it may be a good idea to cover it in vaseline first to minimise errors.

Then repeat the process for the second cat.

Even simpler, put the water in the outer bowl and float the inner in it. Put
cat in inner bowl. Provided inner bowl does not "bottom" the weight of water
displaced is exactly equal to the weight of the cat. No vaseline, no density
correction. Archimedes rules OK!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and
absolute) of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a
cat in a domestic situation?

Square of canvas 50% larger than largest cat. Sew a ring into each corner.

Trap the cat in the sheet so that each leg is equidistant between rings,
gather rings together. Cat is now effectivily disabled. Weigh on fishing
scales.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Well if you know the specific gravity of the cat, or assume its nearly
one, submerge it in a full bucket of water and measure what overflows.

PMSL

This also eliminates the unwanted cat.

You're a braver man than I, last time I suggested harming a kitty in
here I got death threats via email..

Another useful trick is to use potential energy.

Take a known weight on one end of a see saw and place the cat on the other.

The height to which the cat is cat-a-pulted is in the ratio of the cats
weight to the other weight, and the distance that weight falls.

Another good trick is to swing that cat on a bit of string tied to its
tail with a spring balance. By measuring the RPM and looking at the
scales, and knowing the string length, the cats weight may be calculated.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

A highly topical query in my household as I attempted to weigh ours last
week. Here's not what to do:

1. Stroke cat for prolonged period and attempt to hypnotise into into
false sense of security.

2. Place thoroughly relaxed cat on kitchen scales, weighing up to 5 kg,
and gently retain cat in position with right hand while scale stabilises.

3. As cat freaks out and leaps into the air, attempt to catch scales
with left hand as they fly horizontally across the kitchen

4. Curse loudly as cat's claws rip a groove in your skin from tip of
right index finger to halfway up the right forearms, and then again as
the expensive scales strike the floor with a resounding thwack.

5. Curse again when you find that said scales now have a permanent
offset of 2 kg and a full scale deflection of 3.5 kg.

6. (one week later) Consult uk.d-i-y for alternative creative methods of
weighing said beast.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Vortex wrote:

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and
absolute) of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a
cat in a domestic situation?

A highly topical query in my household as I attempted to weigh ours
last week. Here's not what to do:

Simple. Visit Monkey World in Dorset - opposite Bovington Tank Museum (much
more interesting). Observe one of the dart guns they use every episode.

Make a DIY dart gun (separate thread) Dart cat with drug of choice. Weigh
whilst cat is unconcious.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and
absolute) of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a
cat in a domestic situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can
think of is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg
which is quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any
kind of accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also
forgetting the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

Chloroform cat then weigh it.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any suggestions?

David

Thanks everybody for the somewhat eclectic range of suggestions.

Not wanting to spend my afternoon being stitched up in A&E, I am inclined to
use this as an excuse to acquire some high resolution bathroom scales. Will
investigate in the course of the day and may be back later for more advice.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Vortex
writes

Any suggestions?

1) Catch cats.

2) Put cats in identical boxes.

3) Take boxes, containing cats, to your local, friendly sub post office.

4) Smile sweetly at sub postmaster, and ask him to weigh the two boxes
on his highly accurate, and regularly checked parcels scales.

5) Return home.

6) Release cats

7) Return to PO, with bottle of wine for sub pm, and weigh empty boxes.

8) Deduct 7 from 4.

or simply put cushion on bathroom scales such that it does not obscure
read-out and wait.....

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which
is quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

David

OS Maps.

Unfold one, and position a point of interest on top of the scales.
The cat will settle itself there in under a minute.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which
is quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

The easiest way is to buy more accurate scales. The human + cat method is
how I weigh mine, but my scales read to 0.1kg.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which
is quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

David

Easy that one.
First measure the volume of the cat using the Archimedes "Eureka!" method.

This will almost certainly drown your cat.

Now weigh it on the kitchen scales.

Hope that helps.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 09:25:19 +0100, "Vortex" said:

Any suggestions?

David

Thanks everybody for the somewhat eclectic range of suggestions.

Not wanting to spend my afternoon being stitched up in A&E, I am inclined to
use this as an excuse to acquire some high resolution bathroom scales. Will
investigate in the course of the day and may be back later for more advice.

David

In that case I can recommend the Seca 873

This can be obtained from www.scalesexpress.com for £149

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 10:44:07 +0100, Tim Lamb said:

In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Vortex
writes

Any suggestions?

1) Catch cats.

2) Put cats in identical boxes.

3) Take boxes, containing cats, to your local, friendly sub post office.

4) Smile sweetly at sub postmaster, and ask him to weigh the two boxes
on his highly accurate, and regularly checked parcels scales.

5) Return home.

6) Release cats

7) Return to PO, with bottle of wine for sub pm, and weigh empty boxes.

8) Deduct 7 from 4.

or simply put cushion on bathroom scales such that it does not obscure
read-out and wait.....

regards

Doesn't work

- Too inaccurate near the bottom end of the scale

- Cats do not go into/onto places organised for them by their staff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
wrote
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
The easiest way is to buy more accurate scales. The human + cat
method is how I weigh mine, but my scales read to 0.1kg.

Using a smaller human (eg a child) to hold the cat should give greater
accuracy, as the cat will be a greater proportion of the total weight.

With electronic bathroom scales, and maybe the analogue variety, the
accuracy may be based on a percentage of the full scale value. The fact
that the scales may have a resolution of , say, 0.5kg is irrelevant.
The accuracy of any measurement may be of the order of +/- 2Kg

What you may be able to do is see that one cat is heavier than another
but with bathroom scales you may not be able to determine the actual
weight the cat.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
With electronic bathroom scales, and maybe the analogue variety, the
accuracy may be based on a percentage of the full scale value. The fact
that the scales may have a resolution of , say, 0.5kg is irrelevant. The
accuracy of any measurement may be of the order of +/- 2Kg...

Mine are medical scales, rather than bathroom scales and the manufacturer
claims an accuracy an order better than the resolution. I gained them when
we recalled a number of medical devices and a hospital sent us the scales by
mistake, but, as with a lot of the parcels we used to get from hospitals,
absolutely nothing to identify the sender.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and
absolute) of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a
cat in a domestic situation?

Its actually much easier to weigh a whale than a cat.

You just take it to a whale weigh station..........

I'll get me coat.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 16:41:54 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and
absolute) of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a
cat in a domestic situation?

Its actually much easier to weigh a whale than a cat.

You just take it to a whale weigh station..........

I'll get me coat.

I can understand why CTRL have decided to build a high speed line
through the Medway towns.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 16:41:54 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and
absolute) of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a
cat in a domestic situation?

Its actually much easier to weigh a whale than a cat.

You just take it to a whale weigh station..........

I'll get me coat.

I can understand why CTRL have decided to build a high speed line
through the Medway towns.....

Can't wait matey peeps. 17 mins to central London from Ebbsfleet (just up
the A2) - my house value is going to rocket!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 17:39:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-06-03 16:41:54 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and
absolute) of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a
cat in a domestic situation?

Its actually much easier to weigh a whale than a cat.

You just take it to a whale weigh station..........

I'll get me coat.

I can understand why CTRL have decided to build a high speed line
through the Medway towns.....

Can't wait matey peeps. 17 mins to central London from Ebbsfleet (just up
the A2) - my house value is going to rocket!

Very good.

I'm wondering whether it will be worth getting in a taxi to go from
Waterloo to St Pancreas. This is a degree of titting around vs.
getting off of one train, going down an escalator and onto another as
opposed to going to heathrow. I don't see much to be gained by
shaving 10 minutes from the journey to Paris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in
:

Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute)
of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a
domestic situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can
think of is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg
which is quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any
kind of accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also
forgetting the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

David

Step 1. Kill the first cat.
Step 2. Kill the second cat.
Step 3. Weigh both cats, separately, on any scale.

Terry W.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-06-03 17:39:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-06-03 16:41:54 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Vortex wrote:
[...]

Look at it from a positive point of view: it will take 10 minutes less
to get out of Paris and back to London.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Peter Parry wrote:
Because of the uncooperative nature of cats

Cats are very co-operative when you understand their motivation.

They can also be bloody-minded

You are not wrong there. The next door neighbour has built a ****ting great
chipboard flowerbed to stop my cats going into his garden under my fence.
They now go over the fence and use the flowerbed as a toilet.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-06-03 17:39:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-06-03 16:41:54 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Vortex wrote:
[...]

But I like Paris....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 20:10:52 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"Owain" wrote in message
Peter Parry wrote:
Because of the uncooperative nature of cats
Cats are very co-operative when you understand their motivation.

They can also be bloody-minded

You are not wrong there. The next door neighbour has built a ****ting
great chipboard flowerbed to stop my cats going into his garden under
my fence. They now go over the fence and use the flowerbed as a toilet.

Adam

Excellent.

Serves him right for not having appropriate feline empathy.

If he understood that you are the primary staff for the cats and that
he is the secondary to that, he could easily devise a solution whereby
he wouldn't be troubled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 2, 9:11 pm, "Vortex" wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which is
quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Make catapult.

Stretch catapult to full length and catapult cat vertically into the
air, measuring maximum height, Hc

Stretch to full length and catuplut 1 kg weight vertically into the
air, measuring maximum height, Hw

Weight of cat = Hw/Hc kg

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Twydell
writes
Look at it from a positive point of view: it will take 10 minutes less
to get out of Paris and back to London.

And the flipside... It's ten minutes less for the French to get out of
Paris and into Blighty. For every silver lining there's a cloud.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Take to the Vet who has purpose built scales to do just such a thing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Use the kitchen scales.

NB You will have to cut cat in to a number of smaller pieces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry W. wrote:
"Vortex" wrote in
:

Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute)
of our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a
domestic situation?

[snip]

Any suggestions?

Step 1. Kill the first cat.
Step 2. Kill the second cat.
Step 3. Weigh both cats, separately, on any scale.

Terry W.

Wouldn't it be quicker to kill the person one is having the argument with?

If you really /must/ know the mass & Archimedes Principle isn't
favoured, I suggest a small police radar gun, a stout but very small
sling, a circus of trained fleas (*) & reference to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity, though you will first need
to get the cat et al into freefall.

(*) A provisional calculation suggests the fleas might need to have some
sort of genetic wasting disease.

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t