Default How much does a 'standard' paving slab weigh?

How much does a 'standard' 600mm x 900mm paving slab weigh
(approximately)? I want to know so I can guesstimate how many I can
put in the back of my car.

--
Chris Green
chris French

In message , Set Square
writes

How much does a 'standard' 600mm x 900mm paving slab weigh
(approximately)? I want to know so I can guesstimate how many I can
put in the back of my car.

If you're talking about the pressed granite sort used by local authorities,
I always reckon that a 2x2 weighs a hundredweight, and a 3x2 a hundredweight
and a half.

On that basis, one of your 600x900 (nearly a 3x2) will be about 70Kg.

Not a bad estimate.

There is a table down towards the bottom of this page on Cormaic's
excellent site.:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/pccflag1.htm

It gives approx. weight for 600x900x50 mm flags of 64 kg.

All I know is if you are trying the lay the buggers, they are bloody
heavy, and hard work to lay if you've not had plenty of practise.

--
Chris French, Leeds
troubleinstore

"Set Square" wrote in message

Set Square wrote:

How much does a 'standard' 600mm x 900mm paving slab weigh
(approximately)? I want to know so I can guesstimate how many I can
put in the back of my car.

If you're talking about the pressed granite sort used by local
authorities, I always reckon that a 2x2 weighs a hundredweight, and
a 3x2 a hundredweight and a half.

On that basis, one of your 600x900 (nearly a 3x2) will be about 70Kg.

Thanks, so about a person per slab, maybe two lots of 5 would be
sensible then.

I don't think I'd want to carry 5 at once in my car. OK, they weigh about
the same as 5 people - but you'll still presumably have a driver?! Also,

the
distribution is likely result in far more load on the back wheels than

when
you have 5 people in the car.

For most cars, 3 at a time would probably be a sensible limit.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Wouldn't it be most simpler and cheaper to have them all delivered in one
go. Saves on petrol, probabl damage to vehicle etc.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

Chris J Dixon

chris French wrote:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/pccflag1.htm

It gives approx. weight for 600x900x50 mm flags of 64 kg.

All I know is if you are trying the lay the buggers, they are bloody
heavy, and hard work to lay if you've not had plenty of practise.

I was fascinated to watch some cut stone paving being laid in a
pedestrianisation project. They used a neat little machine with
a big suction hose to lift and place each slab.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Matt Beard

wrote in message ...
How much does a paving slab weigh?

A stone? :-)
Set Square

Matt Beard wrote:

wrote in message
How much does a paving slab weigh?

A stone? :-)

Very droll! g. In reality, more like 12 stone. Is that a boulder?

--
Cheers,
Set Square

wrote:
"nightjar" nightjar@ insert_my_surname_here.uk.com wrote:

wrote in message ...
Set Square wrote:

How much does a 'standard' 600mm x 900mm paving slab weigh
(approximately)? I want to know so I can guesstimate how many I can
put in the back of my car.

If you're talking about the pressed granite sort used by local

authorities,
I always reckon that a 2x2 weighs a hundredweight, and a 3x2 a

hundredweight
and a half.

On that basis, one of your 600x900 (nearly a 3x2) will be about 70Kg.

Thanks, so about a person per slab, maybe two lots of 5 would be
sensible then.

Look in your handbook for the maximum permitted tow hook weight to get an
idea of what the boot can cope with. You can go up slightly on that, because
the moment arm is less, but not by much. My guess would be two or three
slabs in the average car.

It depends rather whether you put the slabs behind or in front of the
rear wheels. If they're in front of the rear wheels then I think you
can quite legitimately load the car up to its maximum permitted
weight. The car is an XM hatchback, i.e. it's a big car, and I will
lower the back seats and put the slabs where the back seats were.

I've checked the XM specifications, maximum payload is between 500 and
550kg according to model, so 5 slabs should be OK (350kg plus me).

I've also found the maximum towing weight which is way more than I
thought it was - can I even pull a two horse trailer legally, wow!

--
Chris Green
Christian McArdle

Look in your handbook for the maximum permitted tow hook weight to get an
idea of what the boot can cope with. You can go up slightly on that,

because
the moment arm is less, but not by much.

The maximum tow bar weight has very little to do with the rear axle maximum
weight. Almost no car will allow more than 100kg on the towbar (whilst 75kg
is more normal) whilst the majority will allow you to exceed that as useful
load on the rear axle. Remember that when towing with a 70kg noseweight, you
are still allowed to use the boot, provided you don't exceed MAM or GTW.

As a very rough estimate, you can fill the boot with half the useful load
(MAM-kerb weight) of the vehicle. However, if you are cutting it that fine,
then you should book an appointment at a public weigh station and check it.
You will then have a much better feel for how much you can take in one go,
which may be very useful for the future, or if you will need many trips.
Note that you can't be done for being overweight on a trip to the weigh
point, provided you don't take the **** and can justify your calculations.

Overloading vehicles is dangerous and you can get really quite severe
penalties for it, but the fact that you asked the question suggests that you
have the right attitude. I saw a complete nutter loading up in B&Q a few
weeks ago. He had a Ford Tourneo (small minibus transit van) that required
him to place almost the entire load behind the rear axle. A quick
calculation showed that he loaded over a tonne into that gap. I reckon he
exceed not only MAM by around 200kg, but the rear axle weight by a whopping
500kg. I seriously considered phoning the police, whilst this nutter thought
it was a great laugh trying to squeeze in one more dense concrete block or
bag of plaster. When it comes to building materials, vans and cars are
seriously weight limited, not volume.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

I've checked the XM specifications, maximum payload is between 500 and
550kg according to model, so 5 slabs should be OK (350kg plus me).

Put this would require even loading. Check the rear axle limit and make sure
you don't exceed it. Alternatively, spread the load throughout. Put a slab
in the passenger seat and two either side of the back seat. The remaining
two can go in the boot. This will ensure you can use the full load
available.

I've also found the maximum towing weight which is way more than I
thought it was - can I even pull a two horse trailer legally, wow!

Be careful. Often the legal weight limit published by the car manufacturer
is too high for safety and is based on getting the thing going on a certain
slope. However, to prevent instability and snaking, you shouldn't exceed 85%
of your car's kerb weight, which is usually less than the published braked
trailer limit. An experienced tower could get away with 100% of kerb weight,
but don't do this until experienced and NEVER exceed 60mph with a trailer.
It isn't big, it isn't clever and may kill someone. Instability can bite
suddenly at high speed and it is very easy to forget that you have the
trailer on the back (at least it is for me, as the van is wide enough to
obscure most trailers).

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Put this would require even loading. Check the rear axle limit and make
sure
you don't exceed it.

P.S. When loading unfamiliar building materials, take an old set of bathroom
scales along and weigh everything before purchasing/loading.

Christian.

Christian McArdle wrote:
I've also found the maximum towing weight which is way more than I
thought it was - can I even pull a two horse trailer legally, wow!

Be careful. Often the legal weight limit published by the car manufacturer
is too high for safety and is based on getting the thing going on a certain

There is *no* "legal weight limit" for cars in the UK. See:-

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ds_506866.hcsp

slope. However, to prevent instability and snaking, you shouldn't exceed 85%
of your car's kerb weight, which is usually less than the published braked
trailer limit. An experienced tower could get away with 100% of kerb weight,
but don't do this until experienced and NEVER exceed 60mph with a trailer.
It isn't big, it isn't clever and may kill someone. Instability can bite
suddenly at high speed and it is very easy to forget that you have the
trailer on the back (at least it is for me, as the van is wide enough to
obscure most trailers).

I'm not aiming to pull anything near the manufacturer's suggested
maximum, I was just commenting that I was surprised how much it was.
In fact I doubt if I'll be towing anything in the immedate future.

--
Chris Green

Christian McArdle wrote:
Look in your handbook for the maximum permitted tow hook weight to get an
idea of what the boot can cope with. You can go up slightly on that,

because
the moment arm is less, but not by much.

The maximum tow bar weight has very little to do with the rear axle maximum
weight. Almost no car will allow more than 100kg on the towbar (whilst 75kg
is more normal) whilst the majority will allow you to exceed that as useful
load on the rear axle. Remember that when towing with a 70kg noseweight, you
are still allowed to use the boot, provided you don't exceed MAM or GTW.

The XMs have two different tow bar maximums, some are 70kg, some are
100kg. Since the rear wheels are very near the back I agree that I
don't see that the towbar maximum has much to do with it.

As a very rough estimate, you can fill the boot with half the useful load
(MAM-kerb weight) of the vehicle. However, if you are cutting it that fine,
then you should book an appointment at a public weigh station and check it.
You will then have a much better feel for how much you can take in one go,
which may be very useful for the future, or if you will need many trips.
Note that you can't be done for being overweight on a trip to the weigh
point, provided you don't take the **** and can justify your calculations.

I don't *think* cars (i.e. passenger carrying vehicles) have a legal
maximum weight, there are just the manufacturer's recommendations.
This certainly applies to trailers towed by cars but I'm not quite
sure about the loading of the car.

Overloading vehicles is dangerous and you can get really quite severe
penalties for it, but the fact that you asked the question suggests that you
have the right attitude. I saw a complete nutter loading up in B&Q a few
weeks ago. He had a Ford Tourneo (small minibus transit van) that required
him to place almost the entire load behind the rear axle. A quick
calculation showed that he loaded over a tonne into that gap. I reckon he
exceed not only MAM by around 200kg, but the rear axle weight by a whopping
500kg. I seriously considered phoning the police, whilst this nutter thought
it was a great laugh trying to squeeze in one more dense concrete block or
bag of plaster. When it comes to building materials, vans and cars are
seriously weight limited, not volume.

Since he was overloading a van then there would be a legal (plated
somewhere) limit for the van's maximum total weight.

--
Chris Green
Christian McArdle

There is *no* "legal weight limit" for cars in the UK. See:-

Just because there isn't a specific infringement, doesn't make it legal. I
bet if you towed a full 3500kg behind a car they'd still do you. Whether it
is under construction and use, or just simply dangerous driving or whatever,
they'd still issue a prohibition and may prosecute.

Saying to the magistrate that the fact that you've towed a 3500kg trailer
whilst the vehicle manufacturer says anything over 1300kg is dangerous, and
you'll see what I mean.

Christian.

Bob Mannix

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
There is *no* "legal weight limit" for cars in the UK. See:-

Just because there isn't a specific infringement, doesn't make it legal. I
bet if you towed a full 3500kg behind a car they'd still do you. Whether

it
is under construction and use, or just simply dangerous driving or

whatever,
they'd still issue a prohibition and may prosecute.

Saying to the magistrate that the fact that you've towed a 3500kg trailer
whilst the vehicle manufacturer says anything over 1300kg is dangerous,

and
you'll see what I mean.

Indeed:

b. A person is to be regarded as driving dangerously if it would be obvious
to a competent

and careful driver that driving the vehicle in its current state would be
dangerous. In

determining the state of the vehicle for this purpose, regard may be had to
anything

attached to or carried on or in it and to the manner in which it is attached
or carried.

THE MAXIMUM PENALTY FOR DANGEROUS DRIVING IS 2 YEARS IMPRISONMENT.

THE MAXIMUM PENALTY FOR CAUSING DEATH BY DANGEROUS DRIVING IS 10

YEARS IMPRISONMENT.

from the same website as referred to.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Christian McArdle wrote:
There is *no* "legal weight limit" for cars in the UK. See:-

Just because there isn't a specific infringement, doesn't make it legal. I
bet if you towed a full 3500kg behind a car they'd still do you. Whether it
is under construction and use, or just simply dangerous driving or whatever,
they'd still issue a prohibition and may prosecute.

Saying to the magistrate that the fact that you've towed a 3500kg trailer
whilst the vehicle manufacturer says anything over 1300kg is dangerous, and
you'll see what I mean.

As I said before there is no legal maximum limit. The law does not
state that if you exceed a specified trailer weight it then becomes
automatically illegal. I think you'll find in fact that there is no
maximum trailer weight specified (as a recommended maximum) for many
cars, especially older ones.

I quite agree (and so does the URL I posted) that if you exceed the
manufacturer's recommended weight it will be used as part of the
evidence if you get prosecuted for having a dangerous load or some
such. however you can't be prosecuted specifically for 'too much
weight' because there isn't a weight limit.

--
Chris Green
Christian McArdle

however you can't be prosecuted specifically for 'too much weight' because
there isn't a weight limit.

For the vast overwhelming majority of cars sold in the last 30 years, the
manufacturers publish a limit. Just because that limit isn't totally
supported by specific legislation doesn't mean that you won't get done for
dangerous driving by exceeding it. The manufacturers have stated that, in
their opinion, the car is dangerous to drive above that weight. If you want
to defend yourself, you have to explain why the designers of the vehicle
know less about the safe towing limit than you do.

Also, I'd guess a 'DD40' conviction would be worse on your record than a
'CU50'. Getting insurance with a DD code on your licence must be pretty damn
hard.

Note that there are loads of things you may be prosecuted for whilst driving
that don't have a specific piece of legislation. They are just prosecuted
under a general careless or dangerous driving charge.

Christian.

Christian McArdle wrote:

Note that there are loads of things you may be prosecuted for whilst driving
that don't have a specific piece of legislation. They are just prosecuted
under a general careless or dangerous driving charge.

Well yes, but that's hardly relevant is it. There *is* a speed limit
and you can be prosecuted simply for exceeding it. You can also be
prosecuted for careless/dangerous driving if you go round a corner too
fast but lower than the speed limit. However you wouldn't thus say
"there is a legal speed limit on this corner (that is lower than the
general speed limit)".

--
Chris Green
nightjar

wrote in message ...
It depends rather whether you put the slabs behind or in front of the
rear wheels. If they're in front of the rear wheels then I think you
can quite legitimately load the car up to its maximum permitted
weight. The car is an XM hatchback, i.e. it's a big car, and I will
lower the back seats and put the slabs where the back seats were.

The MGW assumes that the load is distributed rather more evenly than that.
Personally, I would have the slabs delivered, even though I have a van that
would take the lot in one go.

Colin Bignell

Christian McArdle

You can also be prosecuted for careless/dangerous driving if you
go round a corner too fast but lower than the speed limit.

But the manufacturer's limits are much better defined than a speed round a
corner, so although they would be prosecuted under a general provision, the
offence is likely to be accurately determined by your failure to comply with
the manufacturer's recommendations. In fact, your failure to do so can
probably be measured more accurately than your speed!

Christian.

wrote in message ...
It depends rather whether you put the slabs behind or in front of the
rear wheels. If they're in front of the rear wheels then I think you
can quite legitimately load the car up to its maximum permitted
weight. The car is an XM hatchback, i.e. it's a big car, and I will
lower the back seats and put the slabs where the back seats were.

The MGW assumes that the load is distributed rather more evenly than that.
Personally, I would have the slabs delivered, even though I have a van that
would take the lot in one go.

Since they were being given to me free I could hardly "have them
delivered".

Anyway we collected them five at a time last night, spread them around
on the floor with the rear seats down. The XM's self levelling
suspension coped fine, just a few clicks of the hydraulic pump after
handled quite normally with no problems although of course I was
relatively cautious. 400kg is well within the maximum load so that
was to be expected I suppose.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Set Square, Turboweasel wrote:
Just carried 9 in the back of my volvo, with spring assisters lol. wasnt bad!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...igh-87701-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Turboweasel wrote:

Just carried 9 in the back of my volvo

As Chris is still posting here, perhaps he'll tell us how many times
he's replaced his car since asking that question twelve years ago ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/16 23:44, Turboweasel wrote:
replying to Set Square, Turboweasel wrote:
Just carried 9 in the back of my volvo, with spring assisters lol. wasnt
bad!

IIRC around 20kg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/16 23:44, Turboweasel wrote:
replying to Set Square, Turboweasel wrote:
Just carried 9 in the back of my volvo, with spring assisters lol. wasnt
bad!

IIRC around 20kg

It does rather depend on the size. The last batch of 600x600x40mm slabs
I bought were 33kg each.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/16 09:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/06/16 23:44, Turboweasel wrote:
replying to Set Square, Turboweasel wrote:
Just carried 9 in the back of my volvo, with spring assisters lol. wasnt
bad!

IIRC around 20kg

It does rather depend on the size. The last batch of 600x600x40mm slabs
I bought were 33kg each.

Ah, I don't think of those as 'standard'.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 10:21:47 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/06/16 09:55, John Rumm wrote:

IIRC around 20kg

It does rather depend on the size. The last batch of 600x600x40mm slabs
I bought were 33kg each.

Ah, I don't think of those as 'standard'.

Your original 2004 answer was more accurate:
Too ****in much

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/16 09:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/06/16 23:44, Turboweasel wrote:
replying to Set Square, Turboweasel wrote:
Just carried 9 in the back of my volvo, with spring assisters lol.
wasnt
bad!

IIRC around 20kg

It does rather depend on the size. The last batch of 600x600x40mm slabs
I bought were 33kg each.

Ah, I don't think of those as 'standard'.

Not sure there is *one" standard as such. Edges that are 300, 450, 600mm
in various combinations are quite common. Other sizes are not unknown
though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 11:50:26 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 23:44 8 Jun 2016, Turboweasel wrote:

replying to Set Square, Turboweasel wrote:
Just carried 9 in the back of my volvo, with spring assisters
lol. wasnt bad!

You're replying to a post from 2004.

He is from that house owner site that copies this USENET group to a
web page. For some reason none of the users seem to see the posting
date.
I have actually been to the site and the date is stated quite clearly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2016 23:44, Turboweasel wrote:
replying to Set Square, Turboweasel wrote:
Just carried 9 in the back of my volvo, with spring assisters lol. wasnt
bad!

12 years ago when the question was posted paving slabs were heavier

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Do they get heavier when they've been laid a while? Maybe absorbing water?

I recently had to lift a couple of slabs when I put up my new fence, and
they were really **** heavy. Much more than the 20kg bags of postfix I
was carting around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 09:55:14 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 08/06/16 23:44, Turboweasel wrote:
replying to Set Square, Turboweasel wrote:
Just carried 9 in the back of my volvo, with spring assisters lol. wasnt
bad!

IIRC around 20kg

It does rather depend on the size. The last batch of 600x600x40mm slabs
I bought were 33kg each.

I've always worked on a relative density of 2.4 - for slabs in the real
world this woul be 2.4kg/li.
So, 900x600x50:
9x6x0.5=27li, times 2.4=64.8(kg).
The Paving Expert gives 64kg
http://pavingexpert.com/pccflag1.htm
about 80% of the way down the page.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to alan_m, Turboweasel wrote:
Haha, yeah but these are old paving slabs, at least 1970s

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...igh-87701-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to pamela, Turboweasel wrote:
I know, but shows people still read this to find out stuff

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...igh-87701-.htm

Paving Slabs Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld UK diy 9 March 8th 04 07:53 PM
SDS drill with standard chuck David Hearn UK diy 17 February 23rd 04 11:03 AM
Basin Fittings Non Standard RatBox UK diy 4 November 13th 03 07:49 PM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM
Concrete slab advice John UK diy 12 July 11th 03 10:55 AM