Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to accurately weigh a cat...OT ish

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

I want to settle an argument about the weights (relative and absolute) of
our 2 cats. problem is, how do you accurately weigh a cat in a domestic
situation?

Because of the uncooperative nature of cats the only method I can think of
is a "differential" approach ie:

1. Weigh human
2. Weigh human + cat
3. Subtract the results.

Problem is that our (digital) scales have a resolution of 1lb/0.5kg which is
quite simply inadequate for cat weight measurement with any kind of
accuracy!

Kitchen scales have the resolution but not the range (not also forgetting
the cat cooperation issue).

Any suggestions?

David

Well if you know the specific gravity of the cat, or assume its nearly
one, submerge it in a full bucket of water and measure what overflows.

This also eliminates the unwanted cat.

Another useful trick is to use potential energy.

Take a known weight on one end of a see saw and place the cat on the other.

The height to which the cat is cat-a-pulted is in the ratio of the cats
weight to the other weight, and the distance that weight falls.

Another good trick is to swing that cat on a bit of string tied to its
tail with a spring balance. By measuring the RPM and looking at the
scales, and knowing the string length, the cats weight may be calculated.