Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Lobster

Default Which tumble drier...?

Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

Can anyone point me at a decent, unbiased "Which?"-type site where I can
read reviews to help me decide which model to go for? All those I've
found through google so far seem very much dealer-led.

Right now we haven't even decided between condensing and vented - from
reading around this it's not clear to me which, if any, is the more
economical to run? Given that I already have a ventilation hole through
the wall, is there any justification for a condensing model?

Then maybe I should be thinking about a gas one - how much cheaper are
the running costs (given that presumably they need CORGI'ing every year
for safety?

Thanks
David

(who probably has about 48 hours to hum and ha over this before he's
told to get his arse out to Comet and not to come back without a new
drier...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Tracymidd

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Hi mine was a white knight which was 8 yr old, conked out but I wanted a
silver one this time and opted for a Zanussi
condenser ( considering for the last so many years i have been hanging hose
out of windows lol, I thought this best option for me)
Since then The heat that comes from it when its on is wuite a lot, no steam
though and the water holder takes approx 600 mins to fill
up. So far so good its 3 mth old, My Zanussi washer is now on its back legs,
so will have to replace that soon, i have had it since 1994.
Tracym

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Mad Ad

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

The condensing drier in the washer/drier I had last was awful, couldnt wait
to dump it for a conventional. One T shirt too much and nothing would dry
for ages, infact it only seemed to be a good way of using up electric- when
things are half dry they still seem wet, not like a conventional one where
you can be in a hurry and pull your jeans out and wear them dry.

Others experience is probably different but I wouldnt have one again.

Ad

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Phil Anthropist

"Lobster" wrote:
[...]

As you can have a vented I drier I would go for that because condensing
driers cost more to make and I get the impression that they cost more to
run. Also, with a vented all you have to do is clean the filter, but with a
condenser you have to clean the filter, empty the water tank and clean the
condenser. Cleaning the condenser is a bugger and unless the condenser is
kept clean then the washing takes longer and longer to dry as the condenser
blocks up with dried on fluff. So, my advice is to get a basic White Knight
vented or similar. I don't know about gas models.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Andy Hall

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 00:33:11 +0100, Lobster wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I had a similar distress purchase decision to make about 15 years ago.
There had been an Italian and a "British" product which between them had
lasted 5 years before becoming uneconomic to repair.

The Miele that replaced the last one came with a ten year warranty. During
its 15 year hard life so far it has worked daily, often several times, had
one service call early on to replace a faulty switch. It still looks
brand new and still performs faultlessly.

I have in idle moments looked at reviews from Which etc. but they seem to
have become a lot more subjective than they used to be.

I don't see any reason to mess about with the cheap brands. By the time
once has gone backwards and forwards, hung around for service calls etc. etc.
any possible saving has been eaten up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Andy R

"Lobster" wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

Can anyone point me at a decent, unbiased "Which?"-type site where I can
read reviews to help me decide which model to go for? All those I've
found through google so far seem very much dealer-led.

Right now we haven't even decided between condensing and vented - from
reading around this it's not clear to me which, if any, is the more
economical to run? Given that I already have a ventilation hole through
the wall, is there any justification for a condensing model?

Then maybe I should be thinking about a gas one - how much cheaper are the
running costs (given that presumably they need CORGI'ing every year for
safety?

Gas is much cheaper, less than a third of the cost. So much so that we
haven't got a washing line anymore, everything gets tumbled all year.
Quicker than electric too, you can only get 3KW of heat into an electric one
but the white knight is nearly 5KW.

No need for an annual inspection, you can also fit it yourself if you want.

If you're siting it on an outside wall and have a gas supply nearby then
there's no competition.

Rgds

Andy R

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Brian Sharrock

"Lobster" wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

'We' went through a similar exercise a couple of months ago ....

Right now we haven't even decided between condensing and vented - from
reading around this it's not clear to me which, if any, is the more
economical to run? Given that I already have a ventilation hole through
the wall, is there any justification for a condensing model?

Decided on a condensing model - with timer delay option - , it replaced a
vented model. The condensate water produced by the tumble-dryer, has proved
very useful in the steam iron; car's windscreen washer bottle and for
plants. [Conincindently; I fitted a water softener too].
The energy used is now availble to heat up the house rather than the planet.

Then maybe I should be thinking about a gas one - how much cheaper are the
running costs (given that presumably they need CORGI'ing every year for
safety?

Dunnoh!

Thanks
David

(who probably has about 48 hours to hum and ha over this before he's told
to get his arse out to Comet and not to come back without a new drier...)

Visit 'Comet' to examine the range of models - then off to Curry/Dixon et al
to view similar ranges; decide on model then google for lowest price.
{My Hotpoint came on a Hotpoint wagon off the production line in what I
believe is called drop-delivery, the man trolley-ed it to exactly where I
wanted it installed, rather than the outfit with a e-retail presence. The
pounds saved are more useful in my account than DTG's .... IMHO.}

HTH

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
HLAH

"Lobster" wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

We have had a White Knight condenser for a couple of years now, I would
highly recommend them, cheap and very cheerful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
fenwoman

Lobster wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

You use a tumble dryer in the middle of Summer? Shame on you for not being
environmentally savvy, quite apart from the fact that you are squandering
money as well as the world's resources.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
HLAH

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

You use a tumble dryer in the middle of Summer? Shame on you for not being
environmentally savvy, quite apart from the fact that you are squandering
money as well as the world's resources.

You really are an idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Diablos Rojos

"HLAH" wrote in message

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

You use a tumble dryer in the middle of Summer? Shame on you for not
being
environmentally savvy, quite apart from the fact that you are squandering
money as well as the world's resources.

You really are an idiot.

Careful she'll put a curse on you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Tracymidd

Decided on a condensing model - with timer delay option - , it replaced a
vented model. The condensate water produced by the tumble-dryer, has
proved very useful in the steam iron; car's windscreen washer bottle and
for plants. [Conincindently; I fitted a water softener too].
The energy used is now availble to heat up the house rather than the
planet.

I saved on using the heating by having mine on, (I have bulk gas heating
hich costs me £200 every 6 weeks to refil)
I dont even use it that much, but not used gas since getting the new dryer,
and its been getting better weather, But like i Say it does get
Warm indoors.
Tracym

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Tracymidd

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

You use a tumble dryer in the middle of Summer? Shame on you for not being
environmentally savvy, quite apart from the fact that you are squandering
money as well as the world's resources.

Hi I do have a washing line here, but apart from 2 weeks lovely sun back in
May its never been good to put washing outside.
I am in the north of England and the weather just doesnt seem to want to
warm up this year, I do try my best for the
Environment but where weather is concerned I have no option, Luckily I do
have a line for the days I can put things out but in the last 15 years I
have lived placed where i didnt have a line and it was a nightmare.
Tracym

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Richard Colton

"HLAH" wrote in message

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

You use a tumble dryer in the middle of Summer? Shame on you for not
being
environmentally savvy, quite apart from the fact that you are squandering
money as well as the world's resources.

You really are an idiot.

Careful! The resident idiots may be offended.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Tim Downie

Owain wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Then maybe I should be thinking about a gas one - how much cheaper
are the running costs (given that presumably they need CORGI'ing
every year for safety?

I think there's a separate class of appliance on the CORGI ticket for
gas domestic tumble dryers, and not many CORGIs have it, so just check
there is someone local who can repair/service it.

There's no regular servicing specified for my White Knight. It's easy
enough to fix most things yourself on them anyway. In the 16 yrs that we've
had ours, I've had to replace a couple of thermostats (about 14 years ago)
and one solenoid (about 12 years ago). Never needed to disturb any gas
connections.

Apart from that it gets nothing other than an occasional internal
defluffing.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Guy King

The message
from Lobster contains these words:

Right now we haven't even decided between condensing and vented - from
reading around this it's not clear to me which, if any, is the more
economical to run?

The figures on this are skewed. Vented ordinary driers may use less
energy to dry a load, but that energy then leaves the house as waste.

Condensing driers retain the heat in the house.

Depending on how you use your drier this can make a large difference to
how much it costs overall. If, like us, you only use the drier when it's
cold outside then you'll probably save by having a condensor. If like
our neighbours you use the drier when it's a dry breezy sunny day then
you'll probably be better off with a vented.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Guy King

The message
from "HLAH" contains these words:

We have had a White Knight condenser for a couple of years now, I would
highly recommend them, cheap and very cheerful.

Our White Knight condensor came off the dump five years ago and is still
going strong. Bit tatty and the door frame's warped but nothing
insurmountable.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
David Hansen

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:21:49 GMT someone who may be "Tracymidd"
wrote this:-

Hi I do have a washing line here, but apart from 2 weeks lovely sun back in
May its never been good to put washing outside.
I am in the north of England and the weather just doesnt seem to want to
warm up this year,

I live in southern Scotland and have put washing outside for much of
this year. Even when it is cold a breeze will dry things. I haven't
dried anything inside for months.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
HLAH

wrote this:-

Hi I do have a washing line here, but apart from 2 weeks lovely sun back
in
May its never been good to put washing outside.
I am in the north of England and the weather just doesnt seem to want to
warm up this year,

I live in southern Scotland and have put washing outside for much of
this year. Even when it is cold a breeze will dry things. I haven't
dried anything inside for months.

--

How many loads a day do you do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Tracymidd

wrote this:-

Hi I do have a washing line here, but apart from 2 weeks lovely sun back
in
May its never been good to put washing outside.
I am in the north of England and the weather just doesnt seem to want to
warm up this year,

I live in southern Scotland and have put washing outside for much of
this year. Even when it is cold a breeze will dry things. I haven't
dried anything inside for months.

--

How many loads a day do you do?

Myself, mostly 2 loads a week, except when bedding, curtains etc, then
theres an extra load.
But with my working and being out of the house up to 14 hrs a day sometimes
its impossible to know what the weathers
doing when i am not home, and when I am home its usually raining, Like it
was this morning here.
Tracym

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
fenwoman

HLAH wrote in message

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs

replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

You use a tumble dryer in the middle of Summer? Shame on you for not

being
environmentally savvy, quite apart from the fact that you are

squandering
money as well as the world's resources.

You really are an idiot.

Really? I am the one who puts washing outside on a line to dry in the
sunshine, thus saving myself money and helping the environment and you call
*me* an idiot? Please expand your theory as to why being concious of the
Earth's resources is idiotic and why the OP is sensible for wanting to use a
tumble dryer in warm dry weather. I am very interested to hear your ideas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
fenwoman

Tracymidd wrote in message

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
[...]

I have a friend in Burnley and she has had lots of dry days. She runs a dog
grooming slaon so has loads of towels to dry daily. It would cost her a
fortune to use the dryer daily.
Were you not able to buy yourself a length of washing line in the last place
you lived? They only cost a few quid and I believe the pound shop even has
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
HLAH

"fenwoman" wrote

Really? I am the one who puts washing outside on a line to dry in the
sunshine,

What even in the pouring rain? You're delusional my girl. It isn't always
sunny you know.

Anyway it's dawned on me who you are - you're oldmolly aren't? I thought
you'd FOAD long ago but I knew I'd seen that tone of gibberish before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Tim S

Lobster wrote:

Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

Sorry - cannot give you a review site (Which? are crap anyway)...

Mine's a Bosch Logixx and it's about 6-7 years old and is working as well
now as the day it replaced a piece of crap Hoover dryer. Occasionally (one
per year or two) it benefits from a good clean out of the airways with a
vacuum and a bottle brush. The sensor feature works and for a condensor it
gets stuff pretty dry.

HTH

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Tracymidd

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Tracymidd wrote in message

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
[...]

7 floors up i dont think it would have worked for me some how, and the place
before that i was 8 floors up.....
MMMM i dont think washing line would work.
and the communal areas below were a carpark that was all, no greenery to
place a line or post etc.
As it was a flat too, It didnt have enough space for a dryer, So I was using
my Storage heating to dry things on a
clothes Horse.
Tracym

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Tracymidd

"Tracymidd" wrote in message

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Tracymidd wrote in message

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
[...]

Just to add, I used to use my storage heating to dry stuff in my own place
or take it to my Ex's to dry in the Dryer,
Due to thieves and weather you couldnt use the line unless you were
constantly At home.
Tracym

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Nice1

fenwoman wrote:
Lobster wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

You use a tumble dryer in the middle of Summer? Shame on you for not being
environmentally savvy, quite apart from the fact that you are squandering
money as well as the world's resources.

If you really was a environmentally savvy person then why do you not
wash your cloths with a wash board? so i will say the same to you why
are you using your washing machine in the middle of summer?? :P

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Guy King

The message
from "Diablos Rojos" contains these words:

Our White Knight condensor came off the dump five years ago and is still
going strong. Bit tatty and the door frame's warped but nothing
insurmountable.

Tramp!

Too right!
Why d'yer think my friends call me Skipweasel?

The tumble drier drum had come adrift from its bearing spider at the
back. Three small coachbolts and some nylocs and it's still going.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Mark

www.which.net. I think they do a free trial.

Right now we haven't even decided between condensing and vented - from
reading around this it's not clear to me which, if any, is the more
economical to run? Given that I already have a ventilation hole through
the wall, is there any justification for a condensing model?

Get one with a sensor rather than a timer. That should save some
money on running costs.

Bosch, Miele, and Zanussi usually have good products IME.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
fenwoman

HLAH wrote in message

"fenwoman" wrote

Really? I am the one who puts washing outside on a line to dry in the
sunshine,

What even in the pouring rain? You're delusional my girl. It isn't always
sunny you know.

When it rains I either wait for a dry day to do a load of washing or hang
it indoors. Spending my hard come by cash on vast electricity bills is an
absolute last option. I have a tumble dryer which I use mostly in winter and
then only at night on the economy 7. To this end I also have a washing
machine with a high spin speed to ensure that the length of time taken to
tumble dry is a minimum.

Anyway it's dawned on me who you are - you're oldmolly aren't? I thought
you'd FOAD long ago but I knew I'd seen that tone of gibberish before.

FOAD?? you silly boy. Is that the worst you can think of?
I never speak gibberish. I am clear and literate. I am happy to reason with
people I disagree with. It's what grown ups do sweetie.
You on the other hand can only fling insults, tell people to FOAD while
offerring nothing constructive or sensible to the discussion.How very
immature you are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
HLAH

"fenwoman" wrote

while
offerring nothing constructive or sensible to the discussion.How very
immature you are.

That's pot calling the kettle black isn't it?

Anyway where have you been for the last year? Jail? Asylum? Got evicted?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
fenwoman

Nice1 ""iwontHAVENOSPAMin\"@hotmail wrote in message
If you really was (were) a (an) environmentally savvy person (,) then why

do you not
wash your cloths (clothes)with a wash board? so(So) i (I) will say the
same to you(.) why (Why
are you using your washing machine in the middle of summer?? :PMy washing

machine is 2nd hand, it has a high energy rating. I use it at night on
economy 7 electricity, and the grey water is discharged either into a water
butt, or onto the vegetable garden, or into my cesspit.
I never use it unless I have a full load to do.
It is entirely possible to be environmentally aware and still have the
advantage of modern conveniences. It isn't a case of being wasteful with
the Earth's resources or living like a caveman you know. There *is* a happy
medium. We *all* have a duty to do what we can. Not for us, but for our
grandchildren and their children.
What we are doing now will be what we will pass on to them. What kind of
legacy will you like them to remember you for?
I'm happy to be remembered as being opinionated and aggressive occasionally
as long as they also remember that I also tried to do what I thought was
right, and that I was caring and patient with those weaker than me, both
human and animal.
I would *hate* to be thought selfish, lazy and happy to let everyone else
worry about putting right what was wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Guy King

The message
from "HLAH" contains these words:

Really? I am the one who puts washing outside on a line to dry in the
sunshine,

What even in the pouring rain? You're delusional my girl. It isn't always
sunny you know.

When it's raining (which in Slopshire is rather a lot) we hang washing
on the rack in the stairwell. There's a 10" fan on the ceiling that
blows along the row - dries a full load in about four hours.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
jaycee

fenwoman wrote:
Tracymidd wrote in message

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Lobster wrote in message
[...]

Have you ever lived on the 16th floor of a tower block, if you put any
sort of line up the council will take you to court or the locals will
steal the washing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Lobster wrote:
[...]

A drier is a waste of time, space and money. Get a humidistaic
dehumidifier and put that in the house, either in the closet or near it
.. Now, everything comes out of the washing machine, onto the hanger and
into the closet. By morning its all dry.

Saves time, saves space, saves energy, saves hassle.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Helen Deborah Vecht

Andy Hall typed

I don't see any reason to mess about with the cheap brands. By the time
once has gone backwards and forwards, hung around for service calls
etc. etc.
any possible saving has been eaten up.

A man after my own heart.

I bought a Miele washing machine for the same reason 5 yeas ago.

No trouble yet...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Timothy Murphy

Guy King wrote:

When it's raining (which in Slopshire is rather a lot) we hang washing
on the rack in the stairwell. There's a 10" fan on the ceiling that
blows along the row - dries a full load in about four hours.

Is that - the fan - really a good idea?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy

Tim S wrote:

Mine's a Bosch Logixx and it's about 6-7 years old and is working as well
now as the day it replaced a piece of crap Hoover dryer. Occasionally (one
per year or two) it benefits from a good clean out of the airways with a
vacuum and a bottle brush. The sensor feature works and for a condensor it
gets stuff pretty dry.

We've got one of these - it's about 3 years old -
and we are very happy with it,
except that you need a PhD in washomatics to follow the instructions.